Player Watch Isaac Quaynor

Remove this Banner Ad

Wellingham who got 37 against Melbourne at the MCG but could only get 21 or so in VFL games? Yeah some guys are strange like that. :D

Then Trade Him for the Pick we used to get Draft Grundy

I don't want to dampen this, but his kicking is being quite overrated on this board at the moment. Solid maybe, long maybe, but certainly not precise or with a low trajectory

I think the power and trajectory were certainly on view, but agree with you on some of his targeting. You’d think that would improve with experience and match fitness and is likely the easier aspect to improve of the 3.

I don't want to dampen this, but his kicking is being quite overrated on this board at the moment. Solid maybe, long maybe, but certainly not precise or with a low trajectory

Well has good Depth/Penetration in his Kicking.

Still 1 of our Better Kicks

Might never be as pinpoint as Nathan Buckley... but clearly is a decent kick. Like others have said, the targeting and judgement improves with experience.

Taylor Adams used to turn at least one over badly a game. Maynard the same... but they’re better now

Someone mentioned Izak Rankine, from memory Quaynor shut Rankine down in an U18 championship game.

Quaynor was a very good kick and decision maker at junior level, only a matter of time before we see it more in the AFL.

Someone mentioned Izak Rankine, from memory Quaynor shut Rankine down in an U18 championship game.

Quaynor was a very good kick and decision maker at junior level, only a matter of time before we see it more in the AFL.

Mentioned in this Video I think he did:

No doubt he reminds me of Buckley...

... Simon Buckley.

Compact, quick, strong through the hips. Powerful, long kick although not necessarily accurate. Lower possession getter.

Isaac has a better sidestep though, and to me selects better options while processing faster. Fingers crossed he continues to develop, because he was very impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In what was a pretty ordinary game, IQ's game was the most pleasing aspect of the night. We just need to lock him in now as the 6th defender. Guys like Varcoe and Noble are only competing for the 7th if we need it.

It helps ease the acquisition of Dayne Beams as well given we acquired enough points to get Quaynor and Kelly...so we didn't lose much out of that draft...it was only the first rounder the following year in reality.

I think his kicking is good. I agree that the precision wasn't really there. But he breaks lines and can boot it 50+, so that's really handy. In time, he'll relax a bit more and find better options by foot.

I think it is nearly impossible to teach a bad kick of the footy to become a good one. But IQ already has the technique and skills. It is more about honing it under pressure and weighting his kicks a bit better. You can definitely teach that. I would say he is a very good kick, and it will be an area that he improves even more. At worst, he is already a 60-70 metre player considering he runs it 10-15 and boots it long.

Suggest you duck for cover!
LOL you sound just like my mate with that comment. :D

Dave the picks could have been traded to anyone for anything, meaning that their value could still be on our list. Unfortunately we traded for Beams and that value is gone.

Between the two first rounders that went to Scharenberg and Freeman, the two to Treloar and the two for Beams, we really don’t have a lot to show for them. Treloar has been good but injury prone, and Scharenberg is a role player.

Dave the picks could have been traded to anyone for anything, meaning that their value could still be on our list. Unfortunately we traded for Beams and that value is gone.

Between the two first rounders that went to Scharenberg and Freeman, the two to Treloar and the two for Beams, we really don’t have a lot to show for them. Treloar has been good but injury prone, and Scharenberg is a role player.

Unlucky with Shaz but he’s back now and plenty of football in front of him still. And at least with Freeman we were smart enough to cut our losses early and still get back a second rounder before his trade value was nil.

i didn't say it totally makes up for it...i just said it helps ease the pain a bit. Assuming we didn't make another trade and just took our draft picks into the draft, the likelihood was that we would have taken IQ and Kelly with our first and second anyway. But as you say, we could have used those picks in a trade for another player, or traded for a future pick so we had 2 first rounders last year.

But at least we can look back at the 2018 draft and say we got IQ, Kelly and Atu, so it's looking a strong draft hand for us at this stage despite the fact we gave up our first rounder.

Very harsh on Treloar. Big stretch to say his whole time with us has been injury prone