Player Watch Isaac Quaynor

Remove this Banner Ad

This was a breakout game for him. He's been down on confidence this year and hopefully this will give him the boost to take his game to the next level. Although, he is much better as a free man in defense. He still needs work on physical one on one contests.

Apparently his brother is also a gun... do we also get first dibs?
Not if he’s too good. At least one of his brothers is part of our academy, but the rules are progressively changing for non-northern clubs. Soon non-northern clubs won’t be able to match inside the top 40. For ‘21 it’s top 20.

Until this week I suspect he wasn't able or prepared to back himself to go for his marks. As a junior he was a very strong intercept mark, and I was waiting to see it come to the fore. In the last quarter yesterday it certainly did! I am confident he will continue with this and we will see everything that had recruiters excited about him. I really liked his decision making or when to go for the mark and when to punch.

As an aside, please don't move him forward or into the midfield. He is a half back and will does not need to be anything else.

Depends on where bids come for them. Outside the top 20 this year but I think it's top 40 next year we get to match.

The way things are going though, every clubs academy players will only be able to be matched by teams in NSW or Queensland, we're just baby sitting them till they're at draft age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was a breakout game for him. He's been down on confidence this year and hopefully this will give him the boost to take his game to the next level. Although, he is much better as a free man in defense. He still needs work on physical one on one contests.

great game, but it’s strange for such a well built man how easily 18 year old Pickett could push him off the ball.

Depends on where bids come for them. Outside the top 20 this year but I think it's top 40 next year we get to match.

The way things are going though, every clubs academy players will only be able to be matched by teams in NSW or Queensland, we're just baby sitting them till they're at draft age.
What a stupid rule.

great game, but it’s strange for such a well built man how easily 18 year old Pickett could push him off the ball.
Very clever with his use of the body. Did similar when opposed to Noble. Allowing hands in the back is a problem for players taking front position.
But he was kept goaless so got to be happy with that.

As mentioned it goes to pick 41 and beyond from 2022.

There are four brothers altogether but there is a bit of an age gap between them so who knows where the rules will be by then. My partners kids go/went to East Donny High with them so I often ask her if there are any updates. She knows nothing about footy but reckons whenever she sees those boys arriving at school they have a footy or two with them. Keep hoping.

Very clever with his use of the body. Did similar when opposed to Noble. Allowing hands in the back is a problem for players taking front position.

I don’t think there was anything clever about his hands in the back of Noble. As blatant a push in the back you’ll see.

I don’t think there was anything clever about his hands in the back of Noble. As blatant a push in the back you’ll see.

Yeah, initially thought it was a push in the side but his left hand was squarely in the middle of Noble's No 9 on replay.

look I agree with you. Unfortunately we had a rule in place that took out any grey areas in marking contests & rewarded the man in front. The hands in the back rule.
Then we threw the rule away for some strange reason.

Hands in the back drives me nuts. Playing in front should always be rewarded. Some forwards make an art form of the sly nudge - Hawkins has made a career out of it and I'd go as far as to say a blatant sly nudge (if there can be such a thing) in a rucking contest may have cost us a grand final berth against GWS a couple of years ago.

Pickett is 20, Quaynor is 21.

Strangely, I'm less concerned with IQ being moved off the ball a couple of times by someone a year younger than him and more impressed with him keeping someone who's being tearing the comp apart to zero impact while also clunking clutch marks.