Player Watch Isaac Quaynor

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jul 13, 2007
Elwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
As I've said, he'll either be having a sensational preseason or we'll have injuries. Those opportunities were necessitated by the injuries to Dunn, Scharenberg, Moore, Howe and Appleby, and to a lesser extent even Reid.
Ultimately those injuries cost us the premiership. With better depth next season and an elite midfield addition in Beams we're better equipped to land the premiership next year. Even if IQ, Kelly and Atu don't play a game they add to the pressure on spots in the team next season which is healthy for the team.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ultimately those injuries cost us the premiership. With better depth next season and an elite midfield addition in Beams we're better equipped to land the premiership next year. Even if IQ, Kelly and Atu don't play a game they add to the pressure on spots in the team next season which is healthy for the team.

You can add Murray's unavailability to the list. Not many teams even make GFs with so many 1st choice members of their defence sitting in the stands.

I don't think the defence cost us, after all, the same defence restricted GWS and the Tigers. I still think it was lost in the midfield and we've improved that by recruiting Beams and adding better ruck depth in Roughy.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Appleby managed 9 games in 2018 and looked likely to retain his spot before the hammy. I think he'll be front of thinking in the minds of the selectors.
9 games where he played on the weakest forward and provided nothing offensively.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
9 games where he played on the weakest forward and provided nothing offensively.

Well that's certainly 1 assessment, not 1 I agree with but there you go.

kallangur pie

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Appleby will surprised a few people here,he may well have have played on the weakest forward but don,t forget he was only 18 and off the rookie list and i was quite happy to see him locking down his direct opponent which he did most of the time.
If people here think Quaynor will be doing anything other than a lockdown role they are in for a surprised because we do not need them for playmaking roles this will be done by more experienced players as it should be.

As for myself I thought Appleby was having a fine season before injury certainly more consistent than Murray who is 2 yrs older and his disposal getting better all the time,I don,t expect him to be hitting players 55 mtrs away in his 1st few games that is an unreasonable expectation of a young player in his first few games.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Appleby will surprised a few people here,he may well have have played on the weakest forward but don,t forget he was only 18 and off the rookie list and i was quite happy to see him locking down his direct opponent which he did most of the time.
If people here think Quaynor will be doing anything other than a lockdown role they are in for a surprised because we do not need them for playmaking roles this will be done by more experienced players as it should be.

As for myself I thought Appleby was having a fine season before injury certainly more consistent than Murray who is 2 yrs older and his disposal getting better all the time,I don,t expect him to be hitting players 55 mtrs away in his 1st few games that is an unreasonable expectation of a young player in his first few games.

Averaged a couple of score involvements a game so not sure why people suggest he offered nothing offensively. I thought he built into the season and was really starting to find form and a greater defence/offence balance when he did his hammy. First and foremost though, I want my defenders to be able to defend and he was doing that.

People were highlighting Ed Richards high production in earlier IQ comparisons but really there wasn't a lot of difference between Richards and Appleby although not really the same type of player, especially as 1 was a highly touted 1st round draft pick, the other a rookie selection.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=5&type=A&pid1=6466&pid2=6542&fid1=S&fid2=S

Last edited:

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus

Being 18 and off the rookie list isn’t an excuse. If you picked for seniors you have to perform to that level. So far he showed he doesn’t offer enough atm.

Being 18 and off the rookie list isn’t an excuse. If you picked for seniors you have to perform to that level. So far he showed he doesn’t offer enough atm.
I reckon your being a little harsh. He didn’t really do much wrong in his senior time. You couldn’t really ask for much more from a player outside the first round in his debut season than what he provided.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I reckon your being a little harsh. He didn’t really do much wrong in his senior time. You couldn’t really ask for much more from a player outside the first round in his debut season than what he provided.
His draft position is relevant when he goes out on the field.

kallangur pie

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Are you serious, if after 2 yrs he is still at the same level you can question it but you must cut an 18 yr old off the rookie list some slack.
After watching for 40 yrs I have come to the conclusion that players such as Stephenson are the exception rather than the rule and players such as Appleby need a little time and perspective something you are not willing to allow.

Actually Appleby performed quite well for 1 so inexperienced much better than I expected after watching so many young players through the years.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Are you serious, if after 2 yrs he is still at the same level you can question it but you must cut an 18 yr old off the rookie list some slack.
After watching for 40 yrs I have come to the conclusion that players such as Stephenson are the exception rather than the rule and players such as Appleby need a little time and perspective something you are not willing to allow.

Actually Appleby performed quite well for 1 so inexperienced much better than I expected after watching so many young players through the years.
Calm down I’m not calling for him to be delisted. He’s just not up to the standard of AFL yet. That could change if he improves but until he improves I’m going to call it as I see it and he’s not up to it atm.

kallangur pie

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
In what way is his draft position relevant,by being a low pick Appleby should have lower expectations place on him I am glad our coaches have a more reasoned approach than you,by your standards it is a wonder we have anyone on the list.

kallangur pie

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Calm down I’m not calling for him to be delisted. He’s just not up to the standard of AFL yet. That could change if he improves but until he improves I’m going to call it as I see it and he’s not up to it atm.
No but you being unreasonable in your expectations of him,I do not want a disagreement with you but you being very unfair on Appleby.

Assuming you meant irrelevant, I’d normally agree, but I think for new draftees it’s an important factor in expectations.
As I said, Apples really didn’t do anything wrong in his time in the senior team. I know you like attacking defenders, but many lock down smalls like him take a while before becoming more attacking and taking the game on. He was neat with ball in hand, and generally looked to move the ball forwards rather than immediately sideways or backwards like Smith always did, so I’m a little perplexed at the criticism.

kallangur pie

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Averaged a couple of score involvements a game so not sure why people suggest he offered nothing offensively. I thought he build into the season and was really starting to find form and a greater defence/offence balance when he did his hammy. First and foremost though, I want my defenders to be able to defend and he was doing that.

People were highlighting Ed Richards high production in earlier IQ comparisons but really there wasn't a lot of difference between Richards and Appleby although not really the same type of player, especially as 1 was a highly touted 1st round draft pick, the other a rookie selection.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=5&type=A&pid1=6466&pid2=6542&fid1=S&fid2=S
His stats are quite reasonable for someone picked where he was and his disposal stacks up quite nicely with Richards,mind you he might be doing little dinky sideways kicks but he does find a team mate on most occasions so I accept that.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Assuming you meant irrelevant, I’d normally agree, but I think for new draftees it’s an important factor in expectations.
As I said, Apples really didn’t do anything wrong in his time in the senior team. I know you like attacking defenders, but many lock down smalls like him take a while before becoming more attacking and taking the game on. He was neat with ball in hand, and generally looked to move the ball forwards rather than immediately sideways or backwards like Smith always did, so I’m a little perplexed at the criticism.
When a player crosses the white line, my expectation is that they can perform a role to AFL standard and so far I haven’t seen that from Apples.

I’m not saying he won’t make it I’m just saying unless he improves massively he should be no where near selection.

When a player crosses the white line, my expectation is that they can perform a role to AFL standard and so far I haven’t seen that from Apples.

I’m not saying he won’t make it I’m just saying unless he improves massively he should be no where near selection.
I’m still wondering why you believe he wasn’t up to AFL standard. As far as I can recall he kept all of his opponents relatively in check, was neat with ball in hand as a general rule, and whilst he wasn’t the most attacking player, his first instinct was always to move the ball forward.

What glaringly obvious fault does he have in his game that makes him not up to standard? I don’t think he really did much wrong before he was injured...

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I’m still wondering why you believe he wasn’t up to AFL standard. As far as I can recall he kept all of his opponents relatively in check, was neat with ball in hand as a general rule, and whilst he wasn’t the most attacking player, his first instinct was always to move the ball forward.

What glaringly obvious fault does he have in his game that makes him not up to standard? I don’t think he really did much wrong before he was injured...
He didn’t do much right either, it’s not good enough to be average I. Every category you have to have some stand out abilities. I remember his ball use being fairly shaky as well.

He didn’t do much right either, it’s not good enough to be average I. Every category you have to have some stand out abilities. I remember his ball use being fairly shaky as well.
What do you mean he didn’t do much right either? If he’s not doing things right then by logical extension he’s doing things wrong. What was he doing wrong? I don’t remember his ball use being shaky at all, aside from a few instances when under extreme pressure, but that happens to the best of players too, so....

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
What do you mean he didn’t do much right either? If he’s not doing things right then by logical extension he’s doing things wrong. What was he doing wrong? I don’t remember his ball use being shaky at all, aside from a few instances when under extreme pressure, but that happens to the best of players too, so....
I’ll rephrase it, he didn’t do much good or bad just neutral.

I’ll rephrase it, he didn’t do much good or bad just neutral.
So in other words he was solid without doing anything to really stand out?

I’m not sure why that means he’s not up to AFL standard 10 games in to his career...?

Interesting points you raise.

One thing is all but certain, assuming fully healthy, Greenwood will have a killer preseason. The guy is a training nut job:)
Which makes your point about preseason being super important.

Everyone better train well.
But, everyone will be flying!

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood