Player Watch Isaac Quaynor

Remove this Banner Ad

In fact when Schaz returned from his last reco, it was in 2017 (he missed all of 2016) and he was in and out of the seniors for most of the year, being frequently dropped back to the twos. He played 10 games, and it was very frustrating for the fans as his being dropped didnt always look form related, but appeared more like managing him to improve he senior conditioning and confidence in his body.

That plan paid off in 2018, although he wasnt selected for the first couple of games. So even on the eve of what turned out to be Schaz's 'break out' season, there were still some questions over his readiness.

He has still only played 31 games.

Yep, I think we need to be patient and realise Schaz is likely to have no real senior impact in 2019. Hopefully 2020 can be his year

The only infielder I’ve ever seen make a genuinely successful career out of being a slow midfielder is Pendlebury.

Shaz is a good player, but he’s no Scott Pendlebury.
Cripps no good? Sam Mitchell was a dud? Jobe Watson was lightning?

There have been plenty of sow inside mids who’ve made the grade. Open your mind to the possibilities mate.

There have been plenty of sow inside mids who’ve made the grade. Open your mind to the possibilities mate.

Jobe had one sensational season.

Mmmmm?????

Doesn't mean your point doesn't stand though.

The only time we've been reduced to just Crisp and Maynard offering run and carry is when Langdon and Howe are assigned roles they wouldn't normally have due to the absence of others (Dunn, Scharenberg, Moore). Of the players that were mentioned, only Scharenberg lacks any real run and carry, all the others do it. They just choose when they do exercise the option, as they should.
Howe offers a bit of run and carry but not a lot and your kidding yourself if you think Langdon offers is any.

Howe offers a bit of run and carry but not a lot and your kidding yourself if you think Langdon offers is any.

Feel free to deny it, doesn't change the fact he does.

Jobe had one sensational season.

Mmmmm?????

Doesn't mean your point doesn't stand though.
Yep, but he was also a good player for a fair amount of time before the *. As you said, my point stands that there have been plenty of good inside mids who are slow over the journey. I don’t think anyone is expecting Shaz to become a superstar at this point.

I went and looked back at some interviews and he said he understands the continual comparison as he also has African heritage and likes to run. And he looked up to H as a bit of a role model.

But H just played so differently with ball in hand to IQ, from what I've seen.

Like I said, I get why the comparison is made but I don't agree with it. :)
Fair call

Greg Williams was the fastest of all of them.

Diesel.

:think: People forget that nothing travels faster in footy than a well kicked ball.

Feel free to keep kidding yourself then.
Are we confusing run and carry with breaking lines here? Langdon does run and carry. They all do in the backline, but someone like Sam Murray breaks lines because of his pace, which made him so valuable last year until he lost form. Quaynor is not the same as Sam Murray. He doesn't have the same burst speed as Sam Murray. However he is a much more versatile player than Sam Murray because he can play different roles. If Sam Murray can somehow navigate through his ASADA issues and return to the team, both he and Quaynor could play in the same 22 together in the backline because they both offer something. However, forgetting Sam Murray, at this point of time there are probably two, maybe three players ahead of Quaynor to play on the half back line. Appleby would be one of those players, although I'm hoping Quaynor can find a way into the side.

IQ best initials in the league

Loved one line on IQ I read in the paper, apart from noting he is flying on the track it called him a man-child with a Seniors ready body! Has me thinking he will get his chance early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With a bit of luck it look,s like he may have a few brothers coming through,hopefully to the Pies would be nice.

...……………..and Sisters :)

...……………..and Sisters :)
If he has sisters then I am I am all for them playing at the Pie,s,where better,the more more playing the higher our playing capacity should become and I am in full support of that whether they be girls or boys.

Honestly I didn't think of those 3 and I never really considered them "slow". Liek at least not Pendlebury slow. Like...Pendles is quite comfortably the slowest mid in the comp.

Honestly I didn't think of those 3 and I never really considered them "slow". Liek at least not Pendlebury slow. Like...Pendles is quite comfortably the slowest mid in the comp.
Actually, he’s most likely not. He looks slow, but he runs the 20m in 3.0s or 3.1 I think. It’s not fast by any men’s, but he’s most certainly not as slow as he looks.

Interesting. I would think of Mitchell especially as very slow by foot but super fast with ball in hand. Watson pretty similar and Cripps like Pendles very average but fast once ball is in hand

Interesting. I would think of Mitchell especially as very slow by foot but super fast with ball in hand. Watson pretty similar and Cripps like Pendles very average but fast once ball is in hand

I'm speaking purely about leg speed.

Are we confusing run and carry with breaking lines here? Langdon does run and carry. They all do in the backline, but someone like Sam Murray breaks lines because of his pace, which made him so valuable last year until he lost form. Quaynor is not the same as Sam Murray. He doesn't have the same burst speed as Sam Murray. However he is a much more versatile player than Sam Murray because he can play different roles. If Sam Murray can somehow navigate through his ASADA issues and return to the team, both he and Quaynor could play in the same 22 together in the backline because they both offer something. However, forgetting Sam Murray, at this point of time there are probably two, maybe three players ahead of Quaynor to play on the half back line. Appleby would be one of those players, although I'm hoping Quaynor can find a way into the side.

Date Posted:
10:01 31/01/19 Thu
Author: rooka...
Author Host/IP: NoHost / 103.101.171.9
Subject: Little whisper from inside the club.., very happy with IQ, expect to see him play early...
http://www.voy.com/51976/413483.html

Good to see IQ training the house down.

You ever watched Mitchell's initial first few steps/meters? I think he worked very hard to get acceleration up after starting his early career as a plodder, by the end he would easily put space on his opponents in congestion (not judd but definitely at least average in this area).

I always chuckle when I see him used as the poster boy for slow mids, as reality was he wasn't as slow as made out to be. He had a very underrated 1-5m pace which often bought him time to cleanly dispose of the ball.

I would suggest his top line speed and his 10m-20m pace is where he falls off and likely got him the snail title.

Last edited:
You ever watched Mitchell's initial first few steps/meters? I think he worked very hard to get acceleration up after starting his early career as a plodder, by the end he would easily put space on his opponents in congestion (not judd but definitely at least average in this area).

I always chuckle when I see him used as the poster boy for slow mids, as reality was he wasn't as slow as made out to be. He had a very underrated 1-5m pace which often bought him time to cleanly dispose of the ball.

I would suggest his top line speed and his 10m-20m pace is where he falls off and likely got him the snail title.
Interesting thought but i would probably put a different bent on it. You can improve your acceleration a little with work but overall for me its pretty intrinsic. Mitchell and pendles didnt need toe for the first 1-5 m that got by on anticipation and that gives them evasiveness.

Remember Hine talking about recruiting Pendles and how he super slowed tapes of a ball in dispute. Pendles was always the 1st to react. Once he reacts everyone else is reactionary, the opponent commits and Pendles (or Mitchell) almost walk around them with all the time in the world. Leg speed helps as in a young Chris Judd just putting on the afterburners but if you have acute anticipation you don't need leg speed in 1-5m range. If you were to find out what Mitchells sprint times were from start to developed player I reckon there wont be a great change bar age related improvement bucause you are largely born with your speed.