Player Watch Isaac Quaynor

Remove this Banner Ad

Took Stephenson a few games last year to really get the tempo.

Even appleby last year stunk it up in the pre season and looked like a terrible decision. Come season proper he was imprsssive

Quaynor will be an elite back in a few years. It’s irrelevant whether he plays round 1 or not

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not really, it took a few games for the AFL to adjust to Stephenson's tempo.

The adjustment to the tempo and first-up nerves were a factor. It's easy to form an incorrect impression on IQ if all one does is base it on yesterday because he looked nervous and untidy.

Discussing if he plays round 1 is almost missing the point. There's so much potential to develop there and at some stage in the near future when he is comfortable in his footy boots he will be an asset.

I thought there was a lot to like about his first game.

I agree, a lot to like about his performance in the scratch match against the Dees. Had me thinking that he may well push for a R1 debut ahead of others like Appleby (who didn't play) and Aish (who was rather vanilla). Yesterday was a lesson for him though whereas Aish was very good.

I'm too of the opinion that he won't play Round 1, but that's not to say he won't play eventually.

Saw him avoid contact a few times and was very reluctant to go back with the flight in at least one occasion. Can't judge him solely on that as it was a practice game, but generally young kids who need to stake their claims will fly for absolutely everything.

I'm too of the opinion that he won't play Round 1, but that's not to say he won't play eventually.

Saw him avoid contact a few times and was very reluctant to go back with the flight in at least one occasion. Can't judge him solely on that as it was a practice game, but generally young kids who need to stake their claims will fly for absolutely everything.

Bravest thing a player can do on a footy field is back into an oncoming pack. Some players it's just in their nature to throw themselves at any contest (Murphy), others take some time, others will always be reluctant. All teams have players scattered along the continuum. Sidey, for example, I think is a reluctant type. He still makes a contribution to the overall team performance.

As an aside, always amused me that people suggested Oxley was a pea heart but he did back into packs.

He will play round 1 and on all the small forwards can't believe we got thos kid so cheap

Looked like he had a great combination of balance, power, pace and despite the ream of errors, he also gave the impression that he's got solid skills. Looked an absolutely beauty, but there's no way that on that showing he's surpassed any of Crisp, Maynard, Langdon, Aish, Howe or Greenwood for a defensive gig. I can't see him getting a game in Round 1 unless there are injuries or he is really dominant in Game 2.

Fair point - there was a moment in the 4th where he got tackled; lost the footy; chased & kicked it off the ground then ran head on to the freo player for a tackle. Think he shook the nerves a bit by the 4th.

Agree that he might not play Rd 1. That's no knock - how many young players burst in to a Grand Final team in Rd 1? Not many I'd wager.

Interesting watch.
Be a watch for a while in the reserves.
Has talent but on yesterday still a bit to go.

But he’ll work hard and iron out the over doing it.

He got caught out a few times last night, but I love his attack on the ball. He’s not Rd 1 relevant without injuries so fingers crossed he’s on the outer to commence the season.
I can't remember ever seeing a Pie with good pace look so strong over the footy in Year 1. He'll be a ripper. Balance, power and pace . I hope he has or develops a fend off - he'll be untacklable in the years to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he'll play Round 1 - and that's no knock. Would let him build confidence in the VFL before earning a berth in the Seniors. He'll get there, no need to rush.

He is a high draft pick, physically ready player so will get some focus ahead of round one. If you focus on the other side of this discussion, that is who he replaces to get a spot the situation is clearer. In my opinion, he will not be able to pinch a spot of an incumbent so is therefore not going to get a spot until an injury. With that in mind, he currently will not be playing round one.

Fair point - there was a moment in the 4th where he got tackled; lost the footy; chased & kicked it off the ground then ran head on to the freo player for a tackle. Think he shook the nerves a bit by the 4th.

Agree that he might not play Rd 1. That's no knock - how many young players burst in to a Grand Final team in Rd 1? Not many I'd wager.
Alex Fasolo?

The question Bucks and co will be thinking is if he plas round 1, would they be confident putting him on Ablett...? I think longer term he will become that shut down defensive-first back pocket who can provide a bit of run at times, but he isn't up to it yet.

Alex Fasolo?

Seedsman, Paine and Yagmoor all did it in 2012 and we’ve been gunshy on Rd 1 debutants ever since, IMO.

I can't remember ever seeing a Pie with good pace look so strong over the footy in Year 1. He'll be a ripper. Balance, power and pace . I hope he has or develops a fend off - he'll be untacklable in the years to come.

It’s a unique mix of traits and one that usually produces very good footballers. The current standouts are Shuey and Coniglio. The only problem is they are generally see ball get ball which means their numbers are lower early career as they learn stoppage structures, but if you can harness it they make for very likely types. Exciting times!

Last edited:
Alex Fasolo?

Faz was a mid season debut. JDG debuted R1, then disappeared till much later in the season. Langdon another but he'd had an additional year at TAC/VFL level before he was drafted.

Bravest thing a player can do on a footy field is back into an oncoming pack. Some players it's just in their nature to throw themselves at any contest (Murphy), others take some time, others will always be reluctant. All teams have players scattered along the continuum..

Sometimes backing into a pack or taking a heavy bumpy is the dumbest thing a player can do and it has nothing to do with bravery. Getting cleaned up knocks you out of the contest. That is dumb.

While it may be interpreted as weak (wrongly), the player who can avoid the contact and stay on his feet for the ground ball get is the smart one, and it has nothing to do with bravery.

Sometimes backing into a pack or taking a heavy bumpy is the dumbest thing a player can do and it has nothing to do with bravery. Getting cleaned up knocks you out of the contest. That is dumb.

While it may be interpreted as weak (wrongly), the player who can avoid the contact and stay on his feet for the ground ball get is the smart one, and it has nothing to do with bravery.
if you could tell this to Moore that would be great

The adjustment to the tempo and first-up nerves were a factor. It's easy to form an incorrect impression on IQ if all one does is base it on yesterday because he looked nervous and untidy.

Discussing if he plays round 1 is almost missing the point. There's so much potential to develop there and at some stage in the near future when he is comfortable in his footy boots he will be an asset.

I think people can see his potential and also discuss his round 1 viability at the same time.

If he has a problem with nerves then that's something he'll have to overcome quickly because there's no shortage of high pressure games at Collingwood.

My post highlighted that we were focused too much on him playing round 1, and not enough on his potential to be an asset in the near future.

It was his first game of the season, for a new club, at the highest level. Playing for Collingwood is very much sink or swim, but nerves are the norm in these situations. It took Ben Johnson years to settle. IQ will have to adapt.

I think people can see his potential and also discuss his round 1 viability at the same time.

If he has a problem with nerves then that's something he'll have to overcome quickly because there's no shortage of high pressure games at Collingwood.

My post highlighted that we were focused too much on him playing round 1, and not enough on his potential to be an asset in the near future.

It was his first game of the season, for a new club, at the highest level. Playing for Collingwood is very much sink or swim, but nerves are the norm in these situations. It took Ben Johnson years to settle. IQ will have to adapt.

I think in general everyone has agreed and acknowledged that it appears he will have a long career at AFL level