Toast Isaac Smith 200 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Been an amazingly consistent player over 200 games. Brought outside run and goals from the midfield when we were crying out for it. Hopefully he reminds us all tonight why we should be eager to keep him rather than see him shipped off for an average draft pick.

Isaac Smith is up there with our all time great wingmen/outside runners, the ones who star each week, and turn it on in big games, particularly Grand Finals.

We’ve had some great ones over the years: Rodney Eade, Dipper, Darren Pritchard, Geoff Ablett. Leon Rice was a favourite of mine from the 1971 premiership.
There was even Gary Ayres in the 1988 Granny!

You’re in great company, Isaac.

Great wingman with durability and reliability. Not many better than him in the last 10 years. Formed a formidable duo with Brad Hill and has copped more tags as the years have rolled on. This tells you how good he has been because wingman simply do not get tagged as a general rule.

Sounds like he might be on the move but I think he has at least another 3 strong seasons in him. Watching him on Sunday v GC he is still an elite runner and has length in his kicking.

He said recently that he really didn't expect to play even one AFL game.

The fact he came in to the league a bit later gives me hope that he might have a few years left, he's found form recently and stuck it right up the doubters. Still a classy jet.
Was this on RSN inner sanctum where they got his Dad to call in?
That was great, his Dad even spoke of coaching he, Breust and Suckling and what a joy it was to see the lads
all play in a premiership together.
Has he ever lost a 2km tme trail since he has been at the Hawks? That is a great legacy to leave behind.

So did our recruiters obviously ;)

Hawthorn knew of Smith before he torched Box Hill in the VFL final, but his game against Box Hill consolidated their thoughts about him.

Fourth quickest in VFL/AFL history to 200 games behind Wayne Schimmelbusch, Luke Breust and Adam Goodes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the curtain comes down tonight Smithy, is a great way to go out. Immense effort from day one. Congratulations on 200 and hope there's any more.

One of the poster boys for our recruiters surely. Massive success story.

Iz has lifted since the bye. I’ve got a feeling Clarkson put it on him because he was poor earlier in the season with all the rumours swirling around.

On that, is he really leaving? I really don’t think we can afford to lose him. No where near done and will play 300 easy.

Iz has lifted since the bye. I’ve got a feeling Clarkson put it on him because he was poor earlier in the season with all the rumours swirling around.

On that, is he really leaving? I really don’t think we can afford to lose him. No where near done and will play 300 easy.
We can’t afford to lose him! With Impey out we really need Smith. I just hope and pray🙏 that Gunston and Breust are staying too. We need all three😁

Hope he stays. Has been really good since the bye, also feel like he has 3 good years left in him, and has shown he can play forward when he slows down.

Great game

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I am a little confused by the apparent downfall of Smithy.
I know he has had a quieter year this year but I find the trade talk really surprising.
At his best, he is a rare player.
Is it that the club thinks his best is gone and unlikely to return?
Or, do we have a replacement coming in for him?

It's just an odd one for me.

I am a little confused by the apparent downfall of Smithy.
I know he has had a quieter year this year but I find the trade talk really surprising.
At his best, he is a rare player.
Is it that the club thinks his best is gone and unlikely to return?
Or, do we have a replacement coming in for him?

It's just an odd one for me.
I totally agree with you. IMO we need him because Impey can’t play many games next year, maybe late in the season. I am hoping and🙏 Smithy will play for us next year.🙄

Remove this Banner Ad

Back