Toast Isaac Smith 200 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Not thrilled with the idea he may be getting shopped around...
Me neither. I suppose where the team is at the moment that players with a bit of currency are the ones that will be shopped around. I’m not sure he is the one to be putting out there and I really don’t know who is either. Of course there is always the chance that he actually wants a change.

Can understand since we probably don't want to rely on two 30+ wingers but who plays there if he does go?

His body looks like it could go on forever. Not sure why we'd be trying to offload him. Still has plenty to offer
At the end of 2016 when Birchall was in a similar place (output was starting to decline, just about to hit 30) I suggested we should trade Birchall as he still held trade value but was unlikely to be a big part of our next flag. It would allow us to get in younger talent without trading guys in that 25-28 range.

Unfortunately I was right to suggest trading him, but not because his form was declining. His body just suddenly let him down despite a decade of reliability.

We’re at a similar crossroads with Smith. He’s still got trade value and could help us net a player who has another 7-10 years with us. We could hold him and hope he ages as well as Burgoyne has, but it’s unlikely.

It’s a tough call as it could easily go either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back