News Isaac Smith to nominate Geelong as UFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bringing in 30+ year old free agents actually doesn't hurt the long term at all. You pick one less kid now and one more when they retire in 1-2 years, when those players are in their mid 20s the difference between them is negligible. There's a big risk in the medium term when we stand to lose the majority of the current best 22 over a couple of years but free agency mitigates that because we apparently aren't finding it hard to attract players. Where I'm actually concerned is the short term believe it or not - obviously you bring in these guys for the next two seasons but are they going to give you their early career output? My worry is that we'll actually shoot ourselves in the foot by forcing guys like Smith and Higgins in when the freshness of young players might be what the team needs.

Time will tell. But if this strategy works in the short term it works full stop because everything else will average out over the longer term.
Agree. These free agents aren’t taking the places of any early draft picks, they’re taking list spots of the round 4 plus draftees.

With respect I think you've missed my point, I think recruiting Free agents around 30 or over puts pressure on the club to play them ahead of youngsters - see Steven this year. Didn't appear to me that he earned his spot.

Steven played all of 9 games and was dropped for finals. He was given enough games to get used to our system and earn a spot but he didn't so was left out. It's not much different to Narkle, Fogarty, Z Guthrie, Close or Ratugolea this year who were given chances but didn't do enough to demand a best 22 spot. Simpson got the chance and took it so was rushed back into the side for finals. Unfortunately Clark and Constable both got injured just when they were getting that chance. That's a lot of kids being given the chance to earn their spot if they're good enough.

Happy about the pick up, all so a sign we want faster ball movement next year which we need to beat Richmond. Only thing I'm not happy about is ultimately it shows the rivalry between our teams is rather fan based than club based.

Steven played all of 9 games and was dropped for finals. He was given enough games to get used to our system and earn a spot but he didn't so was left out. It's not much different to Narkle, Fogarty, Z Guthrie, Close or Ratugolea this year who were given chances but didn't do enough to demand a best 22 spot. Simpson got the chance and took it so was rushed back into the side for finals. Unfortunately Clark and Constable both got injured just when they were getting that chance. That's a lot of kids being given the chance to earn their spot if they're good enough.
Didn't Steven get injured rather than being dropped?

What's worse? Wasting 9 games on a 4x B&F when we're pushing for a premiership in the hope he gets fit and rediscovers his form? Or wasting 108 games on Jordan Murdoch?

Don't know why you would compare them. Murdoch had gone before we decided to go for Steven so it wasn't like it was ever an either or decision.

But if you were to ask - bring in a clearly declining 30+-year-old, or give games to a promising younger player - it should be no choice at all.

This is a narrow view in my opinion. Some player types we dont have room for (eg constable) as we are stacked for inside mids and small forwards. We have heaps of room for more outside run and will drop other guys to fit them in. All of Smith Higgins Clark etc should be best 22 next year.

If the kids are good enough they will push other players out ala oconnor henry miers parfitt etc.

The moment they gave Jack Steven games that theory went out the window.

The thoughts of some on here about recruiting more senior players into the list is laughable.

The current form of this club has a 3-4 year window to deliver premierships.

That was what a generational player like Danger choosing to come did for us. It pushed us back up the list from what other successful rebuilding sides now have been forced to do by finishing down the bottom, drafting high and having losing seasons.

We are in it up to our eyeballs and if and when we get Cameron, it will be the same shot keeping us up there again.

Losing some younger players may happen and may hurt but will be mitigated by having star players on the list and being a successful “destination” club during and continually in free agency and trade periods.

And that will continue to be the lure that peaks the interest of restricted free agents and free agents to come over the next 3-5 years and on.

Enjoy the ride, it sure as sh*t beats barracking for a club not contending!!!

GO CATS

Great post. Could not agree more. Enjoy the ride, we load up and go again. If not for a freak, dynasty team, we would of won it this year. We're close

The bizarre thing is that the success of 07-11 was built mainly on kids. Putting games into them and having them learn to play together. The opposite strategy of now

Not only was it our club, it was the same recruiting manager. But more than a few now have total contempt for that approach.

Meanwhile, it's going to be 10 years since the most recent premiership next year. But free agency has changed the landscape.

Great post. Could not agree more. Enjoy the ride, we load up and go again. If not for a freak, dynasty team, we would of won it this year. We're close
Not really freaks. They come around about every 4 years or so.
After next year we've got around 3-4 years to win one until the next one comes.
(Unless we are that one)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That a good chunk of this board continuously pissed on even after they started winning premierships. It's only taken 3 finals beltings in 4 seasons for them to acknowledge through gritted teeth that they might be an ok football team.

But he never earned a spot. He was pushed into the team in Round 2 v Carlton without being anywhere near ready, and was fat, slow, and horrible.

But 4 best and fairests!

Those pesky Freak Dynasty teams eh, Brisbane 3 flags (dynasty), Geelong 3 flags (dynasty), Hawthorn 4 flags (dynasty) and now tigers 3 flags.

So since 2001 (the last 20 years) 13 of those premierships were won by dynasty teams. So the odds are better than even that we have to beat a dynasty team to win a flag. Rather than building our own are we just hoping for a down year by everyone else?

Hardly. But just pumping games into young players doesn't really achieve anything. Playing lots of VFL and a handful of AFL games doesn't seem to have harmed Simpson. We're better off being selective with how many games we give to youngsters and seeing who develops their game and grabs the opportunity with both hands. Taking a player with massive weaknesses and giving them 80 games won't automatically produce a good player.

Who said they had massive weaknesses? I thought "In Wells we trust"?

Or Retirement home.

Another 32-year-old midfielder. Do not want.

Pull up a chair and get comfortable, this will be entertaining.
You don't subscribe to the bring in the ready-mades for the "now' policy?

Who said they had massive weaknesses? I thought "In Wells we trust"?

It's almost like basically every 18 year old ever has massive weaknesses by AFL standards and Wells can't magic up the perfect teenager to pick every time. Most top 5 picks have massive weaknesses to start with let alone the picks where we're trying to find diamonds in the rough. It's almost like AFL players tend to be better at 28 than at 18. Ground breaking idea I know.

On the one hand, he undoubtedly improves the 22 and he comes for free so that’s good.

On the other, I worry that Jordan Clark will now have a reason at the end of 2021 to say he needs to seek more opportunities elsewhere.

On my third hand, of Jordan can’t push out a 32 year old then is he really good enough?

Why?

Clark is a hbf? A backman.

Smith is wing/hff

The moment they gave Jack Steven games that theory went out the window.

Jack Steven wasnt in the finals team. This actually backs up the theory not disproves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back