News Isaac Smith to nominate Geelong as UFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think of the worst ground for a skinny winger who's game relies on space and room of the MCG to thrive.....a few bad games in a row at the Cattery and the locals will soon get restless. Good luck to him but I reckon Cats fans will turn pretty quickly on an under performing Hawk in their team..
You know he can just kick it over the top of a press right?

Who said they had massive weaknesses? I thought "In Wells we trust"?
He’s got a decent hit rate and it’s not a precise science at all. He’s just using the beat available information. He has to adapt to the availability of good players, and sometimes the average development of our mid-range or speculative picks, or injuries or just finding that we we need to be better in certain areas.

It’s a constant evolution.

It's almost like basically every 18 year old ever has massive weaknesses by AFL standards and Wells can't magic up the perfect teenager to pick every time. Most top 5 picks have massive weaknesses to start with let alone the picks where we're trying to find diamonds in the rough. It's almost like AFL players tend to be better at 28 than at 18. Ground breaking idea I know.
Oh really. Well let me point you to evidence to the contrary...

Wayne Carey? He was good right away.
Joel Selwood.
Chris Judd.

I rest my case with my overwhelming evidence that 18 year olds are the best choice and Wells must stick to only one method of building the team.

Hypothetically what happens if Dustin Martin next year turns up overweight, reveals he's been having mental health issues, has a terrible year including injuries and then announces at seasons end that he wants to move to Geelong to get out of the limelight. We can pick him up for a 4th round pick and Richmond will pay most of his wage. Do we:

a) Say no thanks.
b) Do the deal and play him enough to see if he can rediscover his form.

Thoughts?

For those angry about Steven would you do the deal for Martin? How good does a player need to be to pick them up for virtually nothing after a troubling period? And how does a 4x B&F winner not get over that bar?

Why?

Clark is a hbf? A backman.

Smith is wing/hff
One of the main reasons Clark spent time in the VFL was that his defending was very substandard. I have heaps of time for him but if we are banking on his future as a backman we are in for disappointment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can enjoy Isaac Smith as much as you want.
Just as I can whinge and shitcan as much as I want. As if they're going to make decisions over one whinging campaigner.
I can't love this enough. You make me laugh.

I would have preferred the youth track

But he can kick a football which is great - i can remember that goal he kicked in the GF against Freo in the last qtr - it was a booming drop punt - i reckon it went 65 metres and it sunk Fremantle

I can also remember that game against the Hawks where in the last qtr on the outer side wing Smith was opposed to Gregson ( brilliant coaching by Chris Scott ) and Smith beat Gregson pointless in about 3-4 contests - did him for pace and strength - that actually cost the Cats the game but who cares - Gregson was one of Scotts little pets

Only worry about Smith - why did he only play 10 games this year ?

One of the main reasons Clark spent time in the VFL was that his defending was very substandard. I have heaps of time for him but if we are banking on his future as a backman we are in for disappointment.

Clark is a rebounding quarterback. He’ll need to improve his defending but he’s our laird, our houli, our rich. How do those blokes defend? We need a balance of defence and rebound. Right now it’s zero rebound. Clark will help the mix. Other point Clark is a great contested intercept marker. A critical reason why he’s better in the backline

It's just my opinion, but he wasn't that good even before we offered 2 years. That's supported by finishing outside the top 10 in the B&F.
You could be correct but if the main knock is his disposal doesn't look as elite as it used to I'd probably consider where the Hawks are at as a contributing factor. It takes two to make an effective, impacting disposal

So we were never really interested in Gunston or Breust, but rather using them to get to Smith and doing so in a manner which allowed us to apparently sweep in last minute, but really we had been putting in the work behind the scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back