News Isaac Smith to nominate Geelong as UFA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I thought that has already been established as untrue.

Yeah, but it seems to have raised its head again hereabouts?

Hope we keep him, and I hope they don't bash every last instinct to attack out of him. We've got enough players thinking slow, backwards, sideways..... This kid likes to take it on and I hope we let him. We need more of it.

Word was our offer was the lowest money from all 3 he received.
We gave him fewer years than Melbourne and less money than the Hawks.

So a good indication of why he's come, that it's not too boost his retirement fund

If he's wants to win a 4th flag then he'll be putting his best foot forward, and don't think he'll be leaving anything in the shed

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Manchester Utd, New York Rangers
From FoxSports rolling commentary

Just in: Hawthorn gets a third round pick for Isaac Smith as compo. That suggests the contract isn't huge - though his age also impacts that.

Currently Pick 42 Im hearing.

Smith in a Cats Polo at 4pm?

I would have preferred the youth track

But he can kick a football which is great - i can remember that goal he kicked in the GF against Freo in the last qtr - it was a booming drop punt - i reckon it went 65 metres and it sunk Fremantle

I can also remember that game against the Hawks where in the last qtr on the outer side wing Smith was opposed to Gregson ( brilliant coaching by Chris Scott ) and Smith beat Gregson pointless in about 3-4 contests - did him for pace and strength - that actually cost the Cats the game but who cares - Gregson was one of Scotts little pets

Only worry about Smith - why did he only play 10 games this year ?

Injured but durable up to now.

It's a great sign that he wants to come for the right reasons. It's also a sign that perhaps he lacked motivation this year and being in a strong team will bring out the best in him.

Absolutely agree.

He's only 20 years old - bit early to decide that's he's one-dimensional.

He will be a great wingman once he builds his endurance which he doesnt currently have.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Smith will be a better player than any of the recent recruits we have had (bar Dangerfield).
Don't like it myself as we look like a team full of top ups and it's hard to follow a team like that. It's almost like European soccer where the team changes every year.

Sep 29, 2013
The 'switch
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hockeyroos
If you pull 7 players of random drafted between picks 50 and 70 over the years 1997 to 2009, at 100 games you're likely to get at least one, at 200 games your twice as likely to get none compare to getting at least one.

[TD valign="bottom"]
Number of players reaching 100 games​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Probability of occurring​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
0​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.352308​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.396347​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
2​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.191096​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
3​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.051186​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
4​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.008226​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
5​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.000793​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
6​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
4.2E-05​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
7​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
1E-06​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
Number of players reaching 200 games​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
Probability of occurring​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
0​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.659704​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.28273​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
2​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.05193​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
3​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.005299​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
4​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
0.000324​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
5​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
1.2E-05​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
6​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
2E-07​
[/TD]

[TD valign="bottom"]
7​
[/TD]
[TD valign="bottom"]
2E-09​
[/TD]

At 100 games the probability of a late national and rookie reaching 100 games is quite similar but the chance of reaching 200 is twice for a late national pick over a rookie
That is a thing of very great beauty. Thank you.

Jul 11, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
aka Cake Eater

images

Whit3y

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sheff Wed
As I've seen very little evidence that it works, no.

Some players obviously become available at exactly the right time to provide what you need and are worth the punt. Ottens clearly was. Dangerfield clearly was. But the closer to you get to age 30 and/or existing injury concerns, alarm bells should start ringing. Too much can go wrong. It's one thing for supporters to be naive, and pretend players with existing problems will always come good. It's always sunshine and rainbows for them, but the club SHOULD be far more hardnosed and realistic. If anything they're worse than the most gerbil-faced optimist.
Out of curiosity Mr Partridge, how old were Chapman and Johnson when we decided to move them on due to their age? And how old is Smith and Higgins again

I am sick of all these old players from other clubs playing for us Scott is a joke he wants this.....i use to say leave it to the club not now...i never worried about the coach not now....he has lost the plot
Cats hierarchy (not just Chris Scott) wouldn't go down this path if they didn't believe we were still in a premiership window. As Damian Barrett calls it, recruiting for the "now".

With Isaac Smith the Hawks offered him a 2 year contract and Demons offered a 3 year deal, yet he chose Geelong on a 2 year contract. Why did he choose Geelong? It wouldn't be the money...

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
You're right it won't happen. I would love to see it though just so we can watch you yell and scream at the temerity of the clubtaking a 30yo 3x Norm Smith medalist basically for free when we're competing for a premiership. I'll give you credit in taking the bigfooty stereotype of preferring players be young rather than good to the illogical extreme.

You might as well pick any star player and say they're coming to Geelong if it makes you feel good. Much like our list management, saying something might happen (i.e. Gary Rohan showing heart in a final) doesn't make it magically come true.

Good? Jack Steven in 2020. That's a stretch.

Instead of making s**t up, I'll give you something more concrete - I definitely prefer to invest games into a young player than a 30 year old with existing physical and mental problems. Any day.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Out of curiosity Mr Partridge, how old were Chapman and Johnson when we decided to move them on due to their age? And how old is Smith and Higgins again

I think Chapman and Johnson were around 32ish? Those moves seem to be defended rather aggressively on here too interestingly enough. And each had produced better recent football than Isaac Smith has.

I think Chapman and Johnson were around 32ish? Those moves seem to be defended rather aggressively on here too interestingly enough. And each had produced better recent football than Isaac Smith has.

From memory they asked Chappy to play fewer games.
So we could get games into Linc, gregson, etc.

They were injured most of the year.
Chappy if stayed would of played alot more.

Feb 2, 2011
Hell
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers, Celta Vigo, LA Rams

Didn't we offer a contract to Chapman where he'd play in half our games and then Finals?

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Maybe the difference between then and now is back then, they didn't see the team really challenging for a flag so opted to do a mini rebuild (Hence letting players go). Now, they see themselves challenging for a flag in the next few years and are money balling the crap out the team. Or maybe it's as simple as they've learned from mistakes made ten years ago and have changed their approach now.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Maybe the difference between then and now is back then, they didn't see the team really challenging for a flag so opted to do a mini rebuild (Hence letting players go). Now, they see themselves challenging for a flag in the next few years and are money balling the crap out the team. Or maybe it's as simple as they've learned from mistakes made ten years ago and have changed their approach now.

Given that ten years ago we were quite literally in the middle of winning premierships, not sure what mistakes they needed to solve compared to now.

Didn't we offer a contract to Chapman where he'd play in half our games and then Finals?

Yes and he wanted a longer term so he left.

Smith was offeredmore years by melbourne than us...opposite circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back