Recommitted Isaac Smith [UFA in 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Smells like a safety net option for Hill not arriving at Moorabbin.

Yes, an astute observation. That was also mentioned on our board.

I think we are genuinely interested in Smith, but clearly Freo are going to play hard ball for Hill who has checked out of there, despite being contracted for another 2 years.

There is also a belief that if we land Hill and Smith then Billings and Gresham can play the majority of game time as a dangerous duo in our forward line where both are better suited. Makes us more potent up forward.

We do need to acquire picks though. We really only have 5 & 55 so we’ll need to get busy. It looks like it may already be happening.

We do need to acquire picks though. We really only have 5 & 55 so we’ll need to get busy. It looks like it may already be happening.

How so?

So far the Bruce looks like going for unknown pick or picks. Whatever we gain for Bruce may gain us extra to trade with. Steven unfortunately will gain us little.

If we give Freo 5 for Hill, we may get a late pick back.

Ryder should only be a late pick.

Jones rumoured to be coming for a second rounder.

Some are hoping that Newnes may nominate as a FA and that we may get a second rounder.

So if those three do land, and Bruce and Newnes do go we are still not in a good position with picks to trade. Essentially it will be what we gain for Bruce (ignoring our 2020 future picks.

Last edited:

I think you will be very disappointed if a trade happens then.
saints could well be a bottom 4 side next year, there is no way he is worth a potential top 4 pick. Not even 4 years ago. I would even say top 10 pick.
I don't see how you have the trade capital to get it done. If we're going future picks here I doubt we'd accept a 2nd rounder, so the only option is to put your 1st on the table. Or trade our a player to get a pick in the teens this year.

If we're going future picks here I doubt we'd accept a 2nd rounder, so the only option is to put your 1st on the table. Or trade our a player to get a pick in the teens this year.

No way would any club offer either.

Has anyone actually seen a real link to real news on this yet? Or as Trumpy would say is this all just Fake News?

There are way, way more trade rumours than players who actually change clubs.

Smith would seem to be in that group of players who are worth more to the club that there are at, than another club. So unless the Hawks want a salary dump then this would appear to be much ado about nothing.

Only way from a St Kilda perspective would be a cheap pick, or a player like Acres or Sinclair as a swap if Clarko reckons he can polish someone up. Well unless other clubs start throwing picks at us. ;)

I dont think Saints will offer as much as Suns would be willing to.

But I dont think Smith would be interested in suns offer tbh.

Hypothetically I'd expect Saints to offer what they could land for Steven. But I think Hawks will bulk and keep Smith and if be let him go next year as a UFA. As we have more use for the compo pick next year with 2 prospects we can bid on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back