Recommitted Isaac Smith [UFA in 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith is 30 years old, but he doesn’t play like a 30 year old! Drafted at 22 so he can easily play for another 3-4 years. He is an athlete that has elite endurance and speed. That’s something he will never lose. What is his market value? I’d say somewhere around pick 35-45.

I can see the Hawks offering for example a 3rd round pick + Smith in exchange for the Saints future 2nd round pick.
If we couldn’t get anything better then 30 we are better off keeping him. Strange offer from the saints when they probably won’t be contending till smith finishes up

I can see the Hawks offering for example a 3rd round pick + Smith in exchange for the Saints future 2nd round pick.
You think he's worth 3rd round upgrade only?

Jayzuz.

Smith doesn’t have high market value. There are a number of other Hawthorn players that would command more on the open market.
He has far more value than a 3rd round Pick upgrade mate, bloody hell.

He has huge value to a side competing for a flag, st Kilda not so much.

Which means he only joins St Kilda if he is cheap pick wise. I am not having a go, but that is the reality of the situation.

St Kilda in most games in 2019 played very young 22's, in large part due to injuries, and so may want a few more mature heads to balance things out in 2020.

Also with Steven seemingly off to Cats, they may want another outside player like Smith.

Plus Ratten has flagged that they want to address ball use, and swapping a poor ball user with a good one is one way of doing that.

PS. I am somewhat concerned with all the oldies Saints are chasing in Ryder, Smith and Keath.

Which means he only joins St Kilda if he is cheap pick wise. I am not having a go, but that is the reality of the situation.

St Kilda in most games in 2019 played very young 22's, in large part due to injuries, and so may want a few more mature heads to balance things out in 2020.

Also with Steven seemingly off to Cats, they may want another outside player like Smith.
Which also means we don’t trade him, he’s contracted for next year so no real need to let him go for nothing. He’ll have plenty of suitors

Which also means we don’t trade him, he’s contracted for next year so no real need to let him go for nothing. He’ll have plenty of suitors

I don't disagree on the first, but I doubt the second.

I personally am not sure of the wisdom of chasing someone so old, and so am happy to not gain him.

I don't disagree on the first, but I doubt the second.

I personally am not sure of the wisdom of chasing someone so old, and so am happy to not gain him.
Which is exactly why I said it was silly for st Kilda to chase him, behind hill he’s probably the second best outside mid being talked about, Melbourne would be silly not to chase him, also there was chatter that the dogs were after him, and Gold Coast. And they are the teams who’ve enquired about him while he’s contracted, if the word was out that he’d be happy to move there would be more clubs throwing their hat in the ring

Few players want to go to the Suns.
Yeah doubt he goes there, but he’s won 3 flags, has probably played for unders most of his career, he’d get a very nice paycheck and live a pretty good lifestyle up there. But as I said, there’s others that want him, and more will pop up if he’s on the open market

Yeah doubt he goes there, but he’s won 3 flags, has probably played for unders most of his career, he’d get a very nice paycheck and live a pretty good lifestyle up there. But as I said, there’s others that want him, and more will pop up if he’s on the open market

Well if the trade price is high it will not be St Kilda.

The Saints have thrown out a lot of offers. Most will not stick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL News , Trade Rumours , Results
2 hrs ·
The Saints have tabled an offer to Hawks star Isaac Smith according to Mitch Cleary.

Not the most trusted source, but thoughts?
Jordan Lewis style trade option? What's he worth?
I would think 2-3 year contract would be tabled, as the hawks normally stick to one year after 30 years old. Can't see much in value of picks going back to hawthorn though.
And yes, before everyone says it, who's not coming to St. Kilda.
future first or * off. Won't be going cheap to anyone that wants him.

AFL News , Trade Rumours , Results
2 hrs ·
The Saints have tabled an offer to Hawks star Isaac Smith according to Mitch Cleary.

Not the most trusted source, but thoughts?
Jordan Lewis style trade option? What's he worth?
I would think 2-3 year contract would be tabled, as the hawks normally stick to one year after 30 years old. Can't see much in value of picks going back to hawthorn though.
And yes, before everyone says it, who's not coming to St. Kilda.
Doubt it

Lewis and Mitchell were both spoken to about the posibility of moving on and went out to seek opportunities with West Coast and the Dees.

If the Saints have come to him and offered him a deal the asking price will be higher. Lewis and Mitchell were legends but did not have a lot left to offer us so it was win-win. Smith is still a very good player in a position we do not have a lot of depth in, we need something to make us better or just hold him as he is contracted.

future first or fu** off. Won't be going cheap to anyone that wants him.
I think you will be very disappointed if a trade happens then.
saints could well be a bottom 4 side next year, there is no way he is worth a potential top 4 pick. Not even 4 years ago. I would even say top 10 pick.

I think you will be very disappointed if a trade happens then.
saints could well be a bottom 4 side next year, there is no way he is worth a potential top 4 pick. Not even 4 years ago. I would even say top 10 pick.
Yeah that's fine and i don't think he will be netting a first at his age but we need some incentive to agree to trade him or we would be better off just keeping him.

Smells more like a player trying to sucker the Hawks into a contract extension.
So St Kilda have made him an offer.....to help him sucker a contract extension. Ok.

future first or fu** off. Won't be going cheap to anyone that wants him.

Now that is funny. No club would pay that. Let alone the Saints.

Smith's Manager is probably just trying to see what he can get out of the Hawks.

There seems to a lot of hysteria generated from not much at all.

So St Kilda have made him an offer.....to help him sucker a contract extension. Ok.

You seem to place a lot of faith in rumours. Worked well with Cogs eh? How do you know that St Kilda has made him an offer?

Are you naive enough to think that manager's do not test the market to pump up what the player may get at his home club. Worked a treat for Cogs. Crouch do it at present. Why should Smith not join in the party? Hell Hawk fans have been saying all year he was on the trade table...despite any real reporting that he was.

With Smith and St Kilda all there has been is one discussion on SEN, later ripped off and posted on a Facebook Forum. I personally would want to hear more than that before I got too excited.

I suggest you might want to cool it fora bit to see if there is actually any real deals in motion.

Yeah that's fine and i don't think he will be netting a first at his age but we need some incentive to agree to trade him or we would be better off just keeping him.

Yep, that is reasonable.

I just don't know what we can offer, unless there is a player you want that we can afford to lose.

I just do think that St Kilda is at the right stage to be throwing much at a player of Smith's age. ie Ryder is old but cheap. Keath If he joins is a bit old, but not as old as Smith and Keath's trade price would not be too high.

Deal still sounds fishy to me.

You seem to place a lot of faith in rumours.
I’m discussing an article that says St Kilda have tabled an offer.

Did you miss it?

I’m discussing an article that says St Kilda have tabled an offer.

Did you miss it?

Are you talking about a real article? Like with real quotes, or are you just talking about a trade rumour?

If the first then yes I missed it and so please post this real article.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back