Recommitted Isaac Smith [UFA in 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
So the Dogs apparently want him at age 31.

Good player, but why?
100% agree with you, it makes no sense. I really would be surprised if much came of this.

A player of his ability is easily worth a first round pick

A player of his age is not really worth a first round pick

With our current list position we really have no reason to move him on unless we were to receive a very good deal for him.

With the Dogs current list position they really have no reason to offer the Hawks that sort of deal for him.

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If he even wants to come to us (which he has said he is happy at the Hawks) they could either trade him this year and get something or lose him the following year for no free agency compo. He will be 31. Carlton got no compo when Waite left as a 30 year old.

It’s the exact same reason we traded Lake to the Hawks when he still had a year on his contract. Better to trade now and get something rather than wait another year and get nothing when he is a free agent.

As I say though, he said he wants to stay at the Hawks so it probably doesn’t matter

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
If he even wants to come to us (which he has said he is happy at the Hawks) they could either trade him this year and get something or lose him the following year for no free agency compo. He will be 31. Carlton got no compo when Waite left as a 30 year old.

It’s the exact same reason we traded Lake to the Hawks when he still had a year on his contract. Better to trade now and get something rather than wait another year and get nothing when he is a free agent.

As I say though, he said he wants to stay at the Hawks so it probably doesn’t matter
I disagree, i think we are better off getting another year of Smith at the Hawks unless we were compensated with something decent which i doubt the Dogs would offer. Getting a token late pick does nothing for us where as Smith next year could be the difference between making and missing 8 the or the 4 for example.

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I disagree, i think we are better off getting another year of Smith at the Hawks unless we were compensated with something decent which i doubt the Dogs would offer. Getting a token late pick does nothing for us where as Smith next year could be the difference between making and missing 8 the or the 4 for example.
thats fair enough. As I say, he said he wants to say so probably irrelevant. More saying that it would fall somewhere in between what he is probably worth and what we would want to offer given his free agency status the following year.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Don't get this at all. Hawks have spent draft picks on O'Meara and Mitchell to force open that flag window so why would they trade one of their best players when these mids are at their peak?

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Don't get this at all. Hawks have spent draft picks on O'Meara and Mitchell to force open that flag window so why would they trade one of their best players when these mids are at their peak?
Well the rumor was the Dogs wanted him, not that we were willing to trade him. Just as confusing though is why they are chasing a 31 year old that would have to cost them a decent amount of $$. Would think they would be better off looking elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More $$$ for Conigilo?

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Smith’s been trending downwards with form for more than a year. More output (at a lower price) from Hendo and Scully. Clarko acknowledged as much today. Great move if we can move some of his salary to dogs. Still can’t believe they wanted Duryea either

Smith’s been trending downwards with form for more than a year. More output (at a lower price) from Hendo and Scully. Clarko acknowledged as much today. Great move if we can move some of his salary to dogs. Still can’t believe they wanted Duryea either
He's been down on form this year no doubt, but his 2018 was his best year of his career IMO, and easily better than 2017.

McCraeBF

All Australian
Dec 23, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have word that His payments are needed for a forward from GWS not an on-baller

Dogs no he has 3 years in him and need experience with Picken, Roughead,and Morris retiring bye end off season.

Our leaders are all 22-24 years old.. smart move by Hawthorn

Hawthorn get cap space-WIN
Dogs Get Experience needed and outside run-WIN
Smith Gets 3 Year contract on overs-WIN

teddies

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Dogs no he has 3 years in him and need experience with Picken, Roughead,and Morris retiring bye end off season.

stop talking s**t mate.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers

We need to dump cap space with Roughead and Birchall a very good chance to retire at the end of the year and with Poppy and Burgoyne a chance to also go? That is very hard to believe...

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We need to dump cap space with Roughead and Birchall a very good chance to retire at the end of the year and with Poppy and Burgoyne a chance to also go? That is very hard to believe...
I could see a cap squeeze if you guys picked up multiple players (i.e. if Cogs AND Patton happened) but otherwise, even just Roughead + Burgoyne should go a long way towards paying Cogs. Only way I see Smith leaving is if the Hawks need the cap space, which just seems like an unlikely scenario

Hawkan

Rookie
Sep 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Going to be almost certainly losing Roughy, Birch and Burgoyne at the end of the season. Should be enough freed up cap space.
Burgoyne wants to go again in 2020. Me thinks he'll get that wish at this stage, barring any serious injuries/drop in performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back