Free Agency Isaac Smith [UFA to Geelong for 3rd round compensation pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond please. We dont need to replace a 32 year old with a 32 year old.

Higgins Breust and Wingard is a potent small forward line and all 3 can play in the middle.

Hopefully they don't both have the same manager, offering a reasonable contract for Higgins might get given to the wrong one!

Richmond please. We dont need to replace a 32 year old with a 32 year old.

Higgins Breust and Wingard is a potent small forward line and all 3 can play in the middle.

I'm not sure we needed Smith off the books for a crack? Surely we have ample cap space regardless? We've had money to talk to big name FA's over the last couple of season, have not had many young players take a huge leap requiring a big pay rise and have moved on Stratton, Puopolo, Frawley and a bunch of others. With only Hartigan coming in so far, I don't suspect cap space presents any sort of issue with any trade target.

Obviously more about if the player wants to come and if their current club is happy to facilitate a fair trade.

Pretty sure the wrong player code was given for the Buddy draft pick and had to be corrected.

Trade Radio: "We're hearing that Hawthorn have offered a FOUR year contract for Shaun Higgins"

Don’t really like the direction the AFL is heading just jump ship to a better team. Surely stick your career out at the club that drafted you out of the local league where you won 3 flags.

Don’t really like the direction the AFL is heading just jump ship to a better team. Surely stick your career out at the club that drafted you out of the local league where you won 3 flags.

Clubs shouldnt be allowed to own players. They should have to work hard to retain them.

But also the first 20 players in the draft should be 3 year contracts and more money.

Pretty sure US sports do that.

Christensen and Varcoe were best 22 when they left. Christensen had gambling problems and wanted a fresh start and Varcoe just wanted a fresh start. They weren't kids looking for further opportunities elsewhere - you ignored that part of my post.

Regarding Hamling, he was delisted and played in the VFL for a year. He would be playing if Geelong persisted with him (or maybe would have gone to Freo anyway) but it wasn't like he was a gun kid when he was at Geelong.

As it stands, my list is all of the Geelong players who left because they weren't getting a game and none of them are best 22 on any team in the AFL
Hamling did not play VFL for a year. He was picked up as a DFA, effectively because Geelong deemed him unworthy of a game. He is undoubtedly best 22 at Freo and would have been at the Bulldogs had he not returned to WA.

If I was one of the players that didn't play in the grand final I'd be asking my manager to find me a new home right about now.

They were going to do that whetherSmith came or not.

Nathan Vardy snagged a flag and so did Simpkin.

You have also left out the other player to leave and win a flag in Joel Hamling.

Joel doesnt really count as we planned to rookie him but the dogs signed him first.

Hamling did not play VFL for a year. He was picked up as a DFA, effectively because Geelong deemed him unworthy of a game. He is undoubtedly best 22 at Freo and would have been at the Bulldogs had he not returned to WA.
Right, I was thinking of Gardner. Either way as per the post above Geelong had planned on rookie listing him but the Dogs got in first. Very different to him 'leaving for more opportunities'

Brandon Ellis 5 x 600 pick 39 compo

Smith 2 x500 pick 42

Seems legit

Clubs don't own players, they should be entitled to go elsewhere once they have given good service. And after ten years, Smith has give that service, it's as not as if he was a lazy player. I think the mistake the AFL has made is that assuming money would be worth more to players than other factors, which doesn't appear to be the case for some. In the twilight of your career, you should be allowed to choose who you want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith 2 x500 pick 42

Seems legit
Smith is actually 500 over 2 years. 250k per year. Wasn't BEllis end of 2nd round compo?

Smith is actually 500 over 2 years. 250k per year. Wasn't BEllis end of 2nd round compo?
Was band 3 because band one and two ended up being the same pick for us

Makes it even more ridiculous if he’s on 250k a year and only 3 picks worse compo wise

A player Isaac Smith's age should need to be on 500k+ per year to even generate band 5 compo.

A player Isaac Smith's age should need to be on 500k+ per year to even generate band 5 compo.
I read somewhere that it was 500k over 2 years, I'm probably wrong then.

Smith 2 x500 pick 42

Seems legit

Look where Hawthorn finished.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back