Free Agency Isaac Smith [UFA to Geelong for 3rd round compensation pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith, Cameron, Higgins and hopefully Dustin Fletcher
Geelong short favourites for the 2013 premiership

Murmour rather than rumour. Just WA media floating it.

He re-signed earlier this year when he would have been FA. Doubt he would have done that if he wanted back to WA now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless of course Freo is offering up Andy Brayshaw? ;)

They wont and we arent trading Menegola we are in win now mode..we may trade kids we wont trade best 22 players thats pretty clear.

This happens every year with W.A Players. Whenever Duncan was out of contract there was always rumours of him going to Freo or whatever. At the end of the day, Geelong gave Menegola a chance when Hawks and Freo delisted him, he is now entrenched in the 22 of a finalist team. I find it very hard to believe he is leaving.

That's a bit rich after they pushed legends like Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis and Birchall out the door.
Lol..... pushed out the door? Lewis was the only one semi pushed and when he found out he could get 3 year deal on $440,000 per year versus a 1 deal on $300,000 he fully understood what Clarko was doing for him.

Mitchell was 33 when deal was done with Simpson to get a player then assistant gig on good dollars. It’s a Great idea to go to a top club in a different state to start your coaching journey, Clarkson did the same.

Hodge at 33 retired then paired up with Fagan afterwards and Birchall was almost 32 when he left and is doing the same.

whats the issue

it was a win win win..... 32/33 year old players getting a nice fat super check from a club willing to pay it and they choose their terms regarding what role they’d have at the club with development of the young players.

Mitchell is already back at Hawthorn.

Last edited:
Says a supporter of the team that stole kelly off last year freeing up a lot of salary cap.
Kelly was never on big money at Geelong, he was still a ‘rookie‘ on his initial 2 year deal. The. My way the cats could have kept him was if some players agreed to shuffle/reduce contracts, which they did. In the end it was mute anyway

Is this $500k confirmed? That's too much IMO

The contract value can never be ‘confirmed’ as it’s not public..... its always an agent you leaks a value to the press. A mate of mine who worked for a player agency said you can take of 20 to 30% of what you year journos say. Agents always do it to inflate a players worth.
So I’m with you that 500K is a bit much but 400 sounds about right.

The contract value can never be ‘confirmed’ as it’s not public..... its always an agent you leaks a value to the press. A mate of mine who worked for a player agency said you can take of 20 to 30% of what you year journos say. Agents always do it to inflate a players worth.
So I’m with you that 500K is a bit much but 400 sounds about right.

I've seen one player that was heavily criticised for moving for money on 250k at the original club when the whole world thinks they were on 500k+ and being greedy. Hardly blame the guy for moving. The money is way more skewed to the top few players at each club than anyone admits. Then at some of the bottom clubs some run of the mill young players are on a stack because of the minimum cap. Some of the deals signed at the Lions during the want away period would make your eyes water. It leaves them in a good spot now with those deals expiring. They will be the next team everyone criticises for having an endless cap as they will have a ton of wiggle room coming right up.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back