AFLW Player Belle Dawes (2019-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Today flag winners Belle Dawes, Nat Grider, Tahlia Hickie, Taylor Smith all added an extra year to their existing deals.

Lions head of Women’s Football Bree Brock said it was a testament to what the Club was building that so many players were committed to sticking together to try and turn the breakthrough premiership into an era of sustained success.

Our Brightest AFLW Stars Under 23

Hit the ground running

By virtue of holding her place in a strong Brisbane side that has made finals in every season since she joined the club, tough midfielder Belle Dawes has played more games than any other AFLW player born in 2001 or later, with a career tally of 43.

Her relentless pressure inside the contest has added another dimension to the Lions' midfield, averaging 12.4 disposals, 3.5 tackles and 2.2 clearances across her career, and is a prominent member of Brisbane's vast young contingent.

Three new faces in Lions AFLW leadership group for 2023

leadership-group.png

Following the announcement of Bre Koenen and Nat Grider as captain and vice-captain yesterday, the Lions are excited to announce four players into the broader leadership group for 2023.

Reigning league medallist Ally Anderson, who was part of the leadership group in 2022, will be joined by Cathy Svarc and Sophie Conway who are returning members of quartet from 2021.

Belle Dawes has been named among the leaders for the first time in her career as she enters her fourth year with the Club.

Dawes said she was over the moon to be viewed as a leader by her peers.

“I feel very honoured to be honest, knowing that girls have voted me in,” Dawes said.

“I’ve put my hand up for the last three years and I’ve been close Craig has told me.

“When he told me this year I jumped up and down in his office.

“I didn’t have any doubt that Bre and Nat would be voted in again, they were so good in those roles last season.

“Ally (Anderson), Cathy (Svarc) and Soph (Conway), I’ve spent a lot of time with them in the midfield and they are leaders on and off the field.

“Everyone in the leadership group are really great people who are always looking to grow and be better.

As someone who is new to the leadership group, Dawes said she will not shy away from remaining the energiser bunny of the team.

“For me the girls know that I bring a lot of energy to the group,” she said.

“The whole group knows how passionate I am about this team and the club which is something I want to bring to my leadership.

“For them to see me as a leader is really awesome and I’m looking forward to what we can do this year.”

Brisbane Lions AFLW coach Craig Starcevich announced the news to the players and was excited by the diversity of the leadership group.

“We are delighted that we have a cross-section of age and experience,” he said.

“It is a nice representation of the whole group through these six people.

“The leadership group that has been assembled, we feel, are great custodians of our values.”

Teamwork is Key in Lions' Engine Room Shake Up

aflw-mids.png

As Brisbane prepares to play for the first time without Emily Bates in its midfield, the Lions are confident they not only have the personnel to cover her loss, but thrive from it.

After a strong season seven, where the 27-year-old won her fourth Brisbane best and fairest, she took up an offer to play with Hawthorn.

But with departure, comes opportunity.

Already stacked with exciting ruck Tahlia Hickie, reigning League best and fairest Ally Anderson – who is tied with Bates and Adelaide's Ebony Marinoff for the League's games record – and powerful Cathy Svarc, the Lions' midfield is in great shape.

But who fills it out?

Belle Dawes has spent plenty of time in there in recent years and told womens.afl the Lions were in great shape heading into the upcoming season.

"Emily Bates is a big loss," Dawes said.

"I think the way our team works is we don't rely on one person. Emily did stand up in big moments and she was a big leader in the midfield, but we rely on the team to work together, that's our midfield gameplan.

"It opens up spots. Chuck Courtney Hodder in there, Charlotte Mullins is coming up.

"Emily has created a spot for that. Poppy Boltz is there as well."
Dawes said for her, change equalled growth.

"The players that have left, they're going to grow, and us, as a pride of lions, we're going to grow," she said.

"Our team hasn't changed much over the four seasons I've been there, but now there's some spots, so I think there's going to be some change.

"We genuinely do love each other. Teams always say that. We're in a gym session and we've got the music pumping … we're all dancing around, someone is hitting a PB and everyone steps in to get around that person.

"It's a really fun place to be."

Who's Impressing in AFLW Pre-Season

Bre Koenen says...

I'd say Belle Dawes.

Really stepped up in all aspects! Strength and conditioning for starters but most of all, her leadership has been super impressive.
Mikayla Pauga says...

Belle Dawes.

She's really stepped up in the off season with her leadership and voice. She's such a competitor and will be a real threat in the middle.
Orla O'Dwyer says...

Belle Dawes.

She attacks the footy so hard and become a really strong leader through her actions and care for the girls.

Golden Jubilee for Svarc and Dawes

belle-cathy.png

Cathy Svarc and Belle Dawes careers have ascended side by side and together have formed a formidable partnership in the Brisbane Lions midfield.

Both debuted in Round 1, 2020 as they joined forces for the first time in the Lions 13-point win over the Adelaide Crows.

Fast forward three years and the pair will once again run out together, this time to celebrate their 50th appearance as Lions players.

Svarc and Dawes have played every single game of their AFLW careers together, a rare feat in sport let alone AFLW.

Reminiscing on her time as a footballer, Svarc acknowledge the footballing bond between her and Dawes.

“Belle and I have played every game together which is incredible,” Svarc said.

“I played my first game of footy ever with Belle at Wilston Grange and I’ll never forget that.

“We are very excited to be playing 50 games and together is amazing.”

Both key cogs to the Lions success in the last few years but each provide Lions AFLW Head Coach Craig Starcevich with a different set of skills.

Dawes is a ball of energy, zipping around from contest to contest, with clean hands and an ability to win contested footy.

She has taken on a bigger role in 2023 and her performance on-field has grown with the added responsibility of joining the leadership group.

Svarc is best known for her aerobic capacity, the ability to run from opening bounce to final siren.

Her speed and tackling pressure have made Svarc one of the premier defensive midfielders of the competition.

Speaking on the Club’s podcast - Between the Lions, AFLW premiership captain and former Lions teammate Emma Zielke was full of admiration for the pair.

“To play 50 games is a great achievement because some people never get to the level that Cathy and Belle have and perform at the level which they have,” she said.

“They should both be very proud and I feel privileged to be a small part of your journey, we are premiership teammates it is really nice to see you achieve this milestone.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dawes Nominated In 22under22 Squad

Brisbane Lions midfielder Belle Dawes has been rewarded for her stellar 2023 season with a nomination in the AFL Players Association 22under22 squad.

Dawes’ nomination in the squad comes off the back of a career year so far for the 22-year-old who has taken on a bigger role in the Lions midfield this season.

Selected in the leadership group for the first time in her career, Dawes has taken to the role like a duck to water highlighted through her on field performance.

Averaging 17 touches, 6 tackles and 3 clearances per game this season an increase on her career averages of 13 disposals, 4 tackles and 2.5 clearances.

Fans now have their chance to get behind their favourite Lions, with voting open for seven days from November 9 to November 15.

The final team of 22 will be announced on November 22 via the AFL Players’ Association’s social media channels.

Players are selected by the AFL Players Association based on match statistics from Champion Data.

Due to such a high number of quality candidates, the squad was increased to 44 for Season 7 (previously 40).

The concept was first introduced to reward young players who make an impact on their Club and the competition so early in their careers, with this edition the fourth iteration of the AFLW 22Under22.

Dawes Career-Best Year Continues With 22under22 Selection

230444_AFLW_22under22_Belle_Dawes_Article_Header.jpg

Brisbane Lions midfielder Belle Dawes has been selected in the 2023 AFLPA 22Under22 team following a career-best year for the 22-year-old.

Dawes, who joined the Lions leadership group this season has had her best year to date, averaging more disposals, tackles and clearances in 2023 than in her previous seasons.

A first-time selection, Dawes has been named in the midfield, highlighting her ability to zip through contests with clean hands effecting clearances and providing the Lions with first use of the footy.

Lions AFLW captain Bre Koenen was full of praise for Dawes who took the opportunity of more midfield time with both hands.

“Belle has worked extremely hard this year and it’s clear to see that with her performance on field so far this season,” Koenen said.

“It’s culminated in a well-deserved recognition of her year being selected in the 22under22 team.

“She’s someone who brings a lot of energy to our group and we’re incredibly proud of her.”

Averaging 17 touches, 6 tackles and 3 clearances per game this season an increase on her career averages of 13 disposals, 4 tackles and 2.5 clearances.

Players are selected in the squad by the AFL Players Association based on match statistics from Champion Data from there, fans voted for who they believed were the best 22.

Lion Queen: Anderson Claims Third Lions Crown

The star midfielder took the lead at the end of round four and never looked back, polling an impressive 205 votes to finish 10 votes ahead of fellow midfielder Belle Dawes (195 votes).
Season 2023 was an also an impressive year for Dawes who took a big step with increased midfield minutes and her addition to the leadership group.

Averaging 17.5 disposals, Dawes further built on her reputation as being known as the energiser bunny within the Club and out on the field.

Another Lion who drove the mantra of manic pressure, Dawes registered an average of 7.7 tackles during the home and away season but went to another level in finals with a whopping 34 tackles in three games.

A member of the AFL Players Associations 22under22 team this year, Dawes’ runner up finish in the Lions Best and Fairest caps off a career year for the 22-year-old.

Brisbane Lions AFLW Best and Fairest Recap

Dawes, who finished second in the Best and Fairest count, was also awarded Trademark Player of 2023, a career-year for the 22-year-old who was named in the 22under22 team.

The energetic midfielder also won the fan voted YOUI Game Changer Award for her string of strong performances in 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back