Israel Folau - HIGHEST PAID PLAYER in the AFL. What a joke.

Marc Shmurf 3

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2006
In Carlton's Midfield
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melb Victory, Storm, Juve
What a complete joke. Here we have a guy that has never played a game of AFL footy in his life, signing a contract today to the tune of 6 million over 4 years. I congratulate GWS and understand the theory behind the signing, but today is the first day that i feel completely sorry for Geelong and the Cats.

What would your thoughts be on each club to having a franchise player in which his salary does not fall under the cap (ALA Soccer A League). No club would be able to afford a contract like the one Folau is on, (please no cheap shots) so with this in mind, players like Ablett, Judd, Brown, Pavlich, Riewoldt etc, could earn what they really deserve.

Something to thing about i reckon AFL.

This is a joke really.

Anyone that understands marketing will understand this.

That's all there is to it.

Marketing.

So people can get upset all they like but when you decide to go into a new market you gotta go in balls and all. This is just one part of the plan the AFL have to grow and secure the game of aussie rules.

Whether it will work is another question but you can't hang it on them for doing this once the decision was made to expand to these markets.

There will be plenty of things they do over the next 10-20 years that will cost more than this and wont work nearly as well regardless of if Israel plays a game or not.

Subprime

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2007
Ether
AFL Club
Collingwood
Think you have to separate the dollars he's paid for playing with the dollars he is paid for generating publicity and interest in a non-heartland area.

Dec 10, 2007
Netherlands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Raiders

Marketing.

So people can get upset all they like but when you decide to go into a new market you gotta go in balls and all. This is just one part of the plan the AFL have to grow and secure the game of aussie rules.

Whether it will work is another question but you can't hang it on them for doing this once the decision was made to expand to these markets.

There will be plenty of things they do over the next 10-20 years that will cost more than this and wont work nearly as well regardless of if Israel plays a game or not.
Fair enough perspective.

Marc Shmurf 3

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2006
In Carlton's Midfield
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melb Victory, Storm, Juve
Think you have to separate the dollars he's paid for playing with the dollars he is paid for generating publicity and interest in a non-heartland area.

completely understand that, and its a good point you make. I was told that when GC17 signed Hunt, the value in marketing was estimated at 13million in the 1st 2 weeks.

I understand the marketing side of things, don't get me wrong. I just feel for Geelong, Ablett and co for the situation they are in.

Could it be that Ablett has put his contract negotiations on hold in light of this news, and now has a bargaining chip against GC17?

Surely people are smarter than that.
If Jonathon Brown were to announce tomorrow that he was signing a similar deal with the Melbourne Rebels, if I was a supporter (of the Rebels) I doubt I'd be too happy about playing host to a money circus.

Deefolt

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2007
MELBOURNE
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Detroit:PistonsLionsRedWingsTigers
just watched the conference, didnt know merrett was a rugby player till he was 17, but look at kieran jack, his dad played nrl.

The swap wont be that big..

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Surely people are smarter than that.
If Jonathon Brown were to announce tomorrow that he was signing a similar deal with the Melbourne Rebels, if I was a supporter (of the Rebels) I doubt I'd be too happy about playing host to a money circus.

It's not aimed at people who are already fans of the club - it's an attempt to arouse the curiosity of the non-AFL public and hope some of them stick as supporters once they've been exposed to Aussie rules

Subprime

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2007
Ether
AFL Club
Collingwood
completely understand that, and its a good point you make. I was told that when GC17 signed Hunt, the value in marketing was estimated at 13million in the 1st 2 weeks.

I understand the marketing side of things, don't get me wrong. I just feel for Geelong, Ablett and co for the situation they are in.

Could it be that Ablett has put his contract negotiations on hold in light of this news, and now has a bargaining chip against GC17?

Apparently 7 & 9 went live to the press conference, you can't buy that sort of coverage. It will be front and back page news in NSW and Qld tomorrow. For better or worse it will be a story that generates ongoing interest.

If the AFL didn't sign him the coverage doesn't happen so in that way he is entitled to the money. I doubt any other League players will ever get a deal like Hunt and Folau. First mover advantage.

For current AFL players both the new sides will be inflationary for salaries. Anyone who goes will likely do so for the money ultimately. Fortunately clubs only lose one player each. Ablett has to be lured away from assured success, teammates etc. so he too can command a high price.

mark_johnson#1

All Australian
Oct 4, 2003
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
who really cares honestly, its not like AFL players have money troubles, if your a successful AFL player you'll get looked after both under the salary cap and outside.

And ablett will be the highest paid player next year

It's not aimed at people who are already fans of the club - it's an attempt to arouse the curiosity of the non-AFL public and hope some of them stick as supporters once they've been exposed to Aussie rules
I understand that. But people saying he will have already paid his way even if he (or campaigner) don't play a game are wrong IMO. I would imagine that $4.5mill cold go a lot further in junior development than a money-hungry mercenary who doesn't play a game.

Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
1. He is not an AFL player, currently he is an NRL player. Next year he will be the highest paid VFL player.

2. Only a handfull of people actually know what he will be getting paid, everybody else is just pulling numbers out of their arse. Today I've heard everything from $3 million up to $6 million

Mar 6, 2008
London
AFL Club
Collingwood
As will be Folau. There is a massive marketing/promotion component and whats wrong with that?

Would Chris Judd get truly 'national' TV coverage if he went to GWS?

GWS just made their brand national in one fell swoop. Its cheap.

Too many ppl just dont get it. :rolleyes:

What are you talking about?

If Folau is a failure than this whole exercise is a massive error. If he makes it as a serviceable forward, or better, than it might all be worth it.

I would suggest you would have no idea whether he will make it or not. You have a shallow understanding of your own game and no understanding of League.

banging on about short term media activity and "brand" without any clue about whether this kid will do anything shows that you are the one who doesn't "get it". so, so shallow

Doctorb

Senior List
Apr 24, 2005
Portland, Oregon
AFL Club
Essendon

Marketing.

Additionally, what he is going to be paid is indicative of where the salary cap is going to be after the new TV rights have been negotiated and agreed upon.

Given that top players these days earn a maximum of $1 million per season, and the AFL is looking to go from $780 million over five years to over $1 billion over the same period of time, it follows that player salaries will go up by about the same percentage as well.

jimbler

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's bizarre watching this press conference in the middle of a Rugby League season.

Can you imagine how Bomber Thompson would react if Gaz were to sign a contract with the Brisbane Broncos tomorrow, and then hold a press conference in Brisbane the very next day?

Stoddy

Team Captain
Sep 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
yeah but what u gunna do

gary abletts contact if he goes to the gold coast would be just as if not thicker i would suggest.

mark_johnson#1

All Australian
Oct 4, 2003
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
6 million over is 4 years is ridiculas especially for a bloke that has barely watched a game of the sport, let alone played. it's just a publicity stunt run by the afl

does it really bother you personally though?? honestly how does what izzy is getting paid have any affect on you??

the bloke has had more exposure to afl than any of the irish boys have had so the talk about him failing is ridicoulous lets hope he succeeds.

Back