Israel Folau - HIGHEST PAID PLAYER in the AFL. What a joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Putting clergy abuse in context, research from the US Department of Education found that about 5-7 percent of public school teachers engaged in similar sexually abusive behavior with their students during a similar time frame. While no comprehensive studies have been conducted with most other religious traditions, a small scale study that I was involved with found that 4 percent of Anglican priests had violated minors in western Canada and many reports have mentioned that clerical abuse of minors is common with other religious leaders and clerics as well. https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/...8/separating-facts-about-clergy-abuse-fiction

Now I'm not catholic and Im not trying to defend the behaviour, but claims abuse is higher amongst clergy just isnt true. It's a society-wide issue

Where in that US DoE report does it give that figure? I took a look and couldn’t see it. Can you provide the page number? Additionally, the report includes things like jokes with sexual content in its terms of study, which isn’t exactly what the clergy have been under fire for.

The sexual offences were horrendous.
The years of cover up, moving off priests between parishes, the badgering of victims to be silent or to accept the pittance compensation offered by the churches leaves it with zero credibility.
Where was their pastorial care??????

Religion is a con!!!
The same could be said for parenthood and education then. I agree those who covered it up were just as bad. But this is another human failing, not the religion itself. Imagine what the average parishioner would have done if they knew.

Unfortunately a proportion of the population have sexually deprived thoughts and feelings about minors, and when in a role which allows opportunities some act it out.

Another study i didnt link showed the by far the main offenders were relatives such as parents or uncles.

It's seriously messed up, but to pin it on religion is absurd.

In related news :

<<<<The controversial scheme set up by George Pell to handle sex abuse claims against Melbourne’s Catholic Church spent almost as much money paying its independent commissioner as it did compensating hundreds of victims.

The church’s own figures reveal that between 1996 and March 2014, the archdiocese spent $34.27 million to run its so-called Melbourne Response, but only $9.72 million – or 28 per cent of it – was used to compensate 307 child sex abuse victims.

Former archbishop George Pell established the Melbourne Response in 1996.
Former archbishop George Pell established the Melbourne Response in 1996.CREDIT:NINE
The bulk of the money during that period was spent on other operational costs for the scheme, including $7.8 million to employ barrister Peter O’Callaghan, QC, as its independent commissioner, and a further $4.7 million on general legal fees.

Mr O’Callaghan’s job was to determine the credibility of victims’ claims and make suggestions about what action to take

Another $432,000 was used to fund the compensation panel that made recommendations about ex gratia payments, and $11 million was used to fund the church counselling service known as Carelink, most of which was spent on staff and administration.>>>>

8 billion gays?? What are you on?

View attachment 700707

There's plenty more, how many do you want? Let me guess, you'll label them extremist too with out even reading them. Close-minded much? Anyone that challenges your presuppositions you will label extremist. Easier to use that Ad Hominem logical fallacy rather than question your own beliefs. Here I was thinking you might be brave enough to apologise for insinuating I was lying and instead you just dismiss them as extremist. Nice one champ.
I dismissed you after your first childish response to me.
Youy justify your dislike of homosexuals by pretending to know what they are thinking and feeling .
Your reasoning is blinded by hatred.
Your not an extremist, a fool yes!
Now off to the playground with you and dont bully the kids whom you dont understand either.

The same could be said for parenthood and education then. I agree those who covered it up were just as bad. But this is another human failing, not the religion itself. Imagine what the average parishioner would have done if they knew.

Unfortunately a proportion of the population have sexually deprived thoughts and feelings about minors, and when in a role which allows opportunities some act it out.

Another study i didnt link showed the by far the main offenders were relatives such as parents or uncles.

It's seriously messed up, but to pin it on religion is absurd.
Religion groups are not the only section of the community effected by sexual abuse, but how they all responded over the past 20 years gives a reflection of what they represent.
Just another business.

This was disputed vigorously by a friend from Perth, but yeah WA seems to be a bit over represented in the hatey posting stakes.

Well. as a person from Perth I have to agree with this post.
There are a lot of conservative type people over here. We tend to rib Queenslanders about being that way, but a lot of us are much the same.
Maybe it's remnant of frontier thinking, not sure.

Religion groups are not the only section of the community effected by sexual abuse, but how they all responded over the past 20 years gives a reflection of what they represent.
Just another business.
They tried to protect their reputation which is extremely poor on many levels. In fact it did far more damage than owning up. However, labelling pedophilia as a religion issue is like saying its a male issue. A proportion of society has this failing, irrespective of where they work, and its kept quiet by family not just some reps of the church

Put it this way - I don't have acquaintances who talk about their homosexuality openly in my presence. And that's the way I like it. If you're gay, I don't wanna know. It's none of my business, and it's none of your business to make it my business.
Put it this way - I don't have acquaintances who talk about their 'hateful bigotry' openly in my presence. And that's the way I like it. If you're a 'hateful bigot', I don't wanna know. It's none of my business, and it's none of your business to make it my business.

There fixed it for ya (Y)

Put it this way - I don't have acquaintances who talk about their 'hateful bigotry' openly in my presence. And that's the way I like it. If you're a 'hateful bigot', I don't wanna know. It's none of my business, and it's none of your business to make it my business.

It just isn’t a topic of conversation, really. Unless it’s put on the agenda by activists jumping up and down, as with Folau.

<<<I've been trying to tell my team at work how I feel, but to be honest, I can't pluck up the courage. All I managed to get out at yesterday's team meeting was, "Well, ahem, I'm a Christian, so-" and then my team leader grabbed me by the hair and pulled my head back. He leered down into my terrified face and whispered, in front of the entire team, "We don't like your kind around here. SILENCE." I just tried to take charge of events, to have my say. How did he know what I was going to tell the team? You can't read my mind.

I had already printed up posters and pinned them up around my desk which said that anyone enabling sin by placing a rainbow flag on the front counter is wicked and an idolator, and can expect an eternity in hell for their prize. But that's not specific to anyone, is it? It just said 'ANYONE enabling sin'. Not them specifically. If the shoe fits, wear it buddy. Besides, I'm not allowed to say it in the team meetings so when else do I get to take charge of events? Someone tore the posters down last night. They were A2 colour posters. Not cheap at all. Leave my property alone!

I filed a complaint with HR outlining all of the above, and they called a meeting with me right away. They rejected my version of events and told me that I'd lied about what happened at the team meeting. Yes, my boss might not necessarily have grabbed me by the hair yesterday, but that's what I feared could happen if I didn't take charge of events. I was in danger. It would definitely have happened if they let me have my say.

Now HR have made a complaint of their own to the executive. They have a bee in their bonnet about me telling them they would all burn in hell too in the complaint. And is it illegal now to hand out free copies of the Old Testament with the relevant passages underlined to HR staff, is it? What, are we going to ban Christmas next? Not my fault if Leviticus 18:22 condemns them all to hell. They should read it and learn something instead of whinging.

They even said that 'taking charge of events' doesn't mean it's OK to grab your team leader by the hair in a team meeting and tell him he's possessed. Why not? He would've done it to me. To be honest, I'm glad the police have been called. I'm in real danger here and someone's got to reimburse me for those posters and Bibles.>>>?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact is many "gays" pander to society's prevailing view that they were "born that way" and "can't help it". OTOH, many more courageous "gays" tell a much different story. They unashamedly and categorically affirm that for them it IS a choice.

The genes for gender have been found and identified in most species. It's not an opinion.

The genes for sexual behavior, preference and gender related behaviour as well.

Some of the confusion over if homosexuality is a choice is because people think preference is one setting. It is a combination of three or more sets of genes that we know of so far.

How you behave, what you like, how you look, all interact and can be in any setting.

You were born heterosexual most likely. Do didn't choose it, it was chosen for you.

Last edited:

Lol. “Hateful bigotry”? Ron said homosexuality right, not “repulsive perversion”.

Never a good sign for the capacity of an authors critical thinking when they supplant ordinary nouns with value judgements without realising the difference.

Either way, these echo chambers you’ve both built aren’t good for your mental health.

Put it this way - I don't have acquaintances who talk about their homosexuality openly in my presence. And that's the way I like it. If you're gay, I don't wanna know. It's none of my business, and it's none of your business to make it my business.
Funny thing that. I’m not gay and neither are many of my friends, and none of us, straight or gay, talk much about our sexuality.

How many straights do you know that always want to talk about their bloody sexuality?

I think you’re jumping at shadows. NTTAWWTs under the bed.

Last edited:
The genes for gender have been found and identified in most species. It's not an opinion.

The genes for sexual behavior, preference and gender related behaviour as well.

Some of the confusion over if homosexuality is a choice is because people think preference is one setting. It is a combination of three or more sets of genes that we know of so far.

How you behave, what you like, how you look, all interact and can be in any setting.

You were born heterosexual most likely. Do didn't choose it, it was chosen for you.

The gay gene myth was debunked more than 10 years ago.

That 26 year old study you linked to was debunked over a decade ago.
So, we know people are on scale from exclusively hetero to exclusively homosexual.

In between is everything else.

So stamping your feet and saying "it's a choice" is pointless.

For some people it is a choice between two options they prefer to different degrees.

Does that give anyone and everyone the freedom to make moral judgments? Belittle and vilify? Bully and bash?

So, we know people are on scale from exclusively hetero to exclusively homosexual.

In between is everything else.

So stamping your feet and saying "it's a choice" is pointless.

For some people it is a choice between two options they prefer to different degrees.

Does that give anyone and everyone the freedom to make moral judgments? Belittle and vilify? Bully and bash?

As I said the study you referred to has been debunked, as has several other popular studies that have been spouted for years as proving a biological/genetic basis (e.g. Levay (INAH3) study). Another that looked promising (Spitzer) was published but in the end didn't pass the peer review process.

(1) I'm not stamping my feet and I'd rather you not characterise me as such.

(2) I'm not saying it's a choice, I'm merely reporting the words of many 'gay' people who have been brave enough to admit that it is/was a choice.

I don't think Folau bullied or bashed anyone. He merely responded to a question posed to him as honestly as he could and used as his reference the cornerstone of his faith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back