Solved Israel Keyes

Israel Keyes, in jail for the killing of an Alaska barista, gradually began confessing to US investigators that he had killed others: a couple in Vermont, four people in Washington state, someone in New York.
But he was slow to come forward with details, warning investigators he would stop talking if his name was released publicly.
Their analysis is incomplete, but they know he was a loner who didn't have a clear pattern in selecting victims, who varied in gender and age. Keyes told investigators that he was 'two different people'.​

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/the-loner-who-picked-victims-at-random-death-of-serial-killer-leaves-many-questions-unanswered-20121204-2asuy.html#ixzz2F73F9fEb

More on this lovely individual. I can see a movie being made here.

"A confessed serial killer from Alaska who hid in plain sight and whose crimes went undetected for more than a decade, was ultimately caught after he gave in to his compulsions and struck close to home.

Israel Keyes, in jail since March for the kidnapping and murder of 18-year-old coffee stand server Samantha Koenig in Anchorage, Alaska, confessed to that and other violent crimes. Then guards found him dead on December 2 after he committed suicide by cutting his wrists and choking himself with a bed sheet. He was 34.
Keyes, a U.S. Army veteran, lived a quiet life in one of Anchorage's best neighborhoods, doing well-regarded handyman work for unsuspecting customers. He had been due to go on trial in March for Koenig's death, and investigators believe he killed eight to 11 people, if not more."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/24/us-usa-crime-serialkiller-idUSBRE8BN0EM20121224

"This is entertainment for me." - Israel Keyes on his serial murders.

Unsealed Interviews Details Two Lives of Israel Keyes

FBI Press release & Timeline

ISRAEL KEYES has been called by FBI profilers as one of the most methodical and cunning serial killers of modern times.

Israel Keyes should be as well known as Ted Bundy, what he lacked in charm like Bundy he made up for in discipline. He is probably responsible for more than 36 murders, all picked randomly and made admissions to 11 before killing himself in prison. Since his death investigators believe they can tie him to 36. He was so efficient at disposal, most of them have never been found. While Ted Bundy had a preferred type, for Israel Keyes it was more about the game and his victims were men and women, one couple were chosen to die because of the way their house was set up. It had an attached garage, he could easily see where the bedrooms were, there was no evidence of children or dogs. One of his hard rules was, no children and no dogs. He cut the telephone line, not so their communications were out but to test for presence of an alarm system. When he decided to move, he put on a headlamp and was in their house having secured the Curriers with zip ties within 6 seconds. They were then removed from the property and taken to another pre-chosen site to kill them.

https://www.necn.com/news/new-engla...il__Killed_Married_Couple_NECN-247689821.html

He planned his murder excursions years in advance, burying kill caches of guns, ties, plastic bags, drano, lye, money etc all over the US in numerous states memorising the locations. Several of these were dug up by the police after his arrest. Police interviews offered extraordinary insight into his thinking and methods, he always used cash, funded his excursions by robbing banks and planned to the last detail. Extremely intelligent, the randomness of his victims, meticulous planning and execution allowed Keyes to fly under the radar for at least 14 years. He would jet out of his home state to another, rent a car and travel sometimes a thousand miles in it to kill someone. Admissions he made of killing some women, he didn't even know their names or couldn't remember. So many missing men and women, families now wondering if they might not have been a victim of Israel Keyes.

He was caught in the end breaking one of his own rules by abducting a barrista from a coffee shack in his home state of Alaska. Samantha Koenig. He took her back to the house he shared with his wife and daughter, raping and murdering her in his workshed. Leaving her body there, they went on a cruise. On his return, he stitched Samantha's eyes open and put some makeup on her to take proof of life pictures, then cut her body up and headed out ice fishing. He cut a hole in the ice over a river and dropped her in piece by piece.

IK.png

His background is interesting, grew up in a religious Mormon household and joined the military. His childhood friends were the Kehoe brothers, Chevie and Cheyne linked to white supremacist groups and Timothy McVeigh of the Oklahoma city Federal Building bombing. (What are the odds of that?)

Fourteen years he went unnoticed for. People are just vanishing, pouffe into thin air and they're listed as missing then they become long term missing.

The first book he ever read at the age of 13yo was Mindhunter by John Douglas. He felt as if he was learning about himself and he continued to learn by studying other serial killers and the mistakes they made. He identified most with Ted Bundy.

Keyes suicide note, or an ode to murder. Obviously intelligent and entirely remorseless.

Parts of the letter are illegible, but this is the full text, as best can be deciphered:

"Where will you go, you clever little worm, if you bleed your host dry?

Back in your ride, the night is still young, streetlights push back the black I neat rows. Off to the right a graveyard appears, lines of stones, bodies molder below. Turn away quick, bob your head to the seat, as straight through that stop sign you roll loaded truck with lights off slams into you broadside, your flesh smashed as metal explodes.

You may have been free, you loved living your lie, fate had its own scheme crushed like a bug you still die.

Soon, now, you'll join those ranks of dead or your ashes the wind will soon blow. Family and friends will shed a few tears, pretend it's off to heaven you go. But the reality is you were just bones and meat, and with your brain died also your soul.

Send the dying to wait for their death in the comfort of retirement homes, quietly/quickly say "it's for the best" it's best for you so their fate you'll not know. Turn a blind eye back to the screen, soak in your reality shows. Stand in front of your mirror and you preen, in a plastic castle you call home.

Land of the free, land of the lie, land of scheme Americanize! Consume what you don't need, stars you idolize, pursue what you admit is a dream, then it's American die.

Get in your big car, so you can get to work fast, on roads made of dinosaur bones. Punch in on the clock and sit on your ass, playing stupid ass games on your phone. Paper on your wall, says you got smarts. The test that you took told you so, but you would still crawl like the vermin you are, once your precious power grids blown.

Land of the free, land of the lie, land of the scheme, Americanize.

Now that I have you held tight I will tell you a story, speak soft in your ear so you know that it's true. You're my love at first sight and though you're scared to be near me, my words penetrate your thoughts now in an intimate prelude.

I looked in your eyes, they were so dark, warm and trusting, as though you had not a worry or care. The more guiless the game the better potential to fill up those pools with your fear.

Your face framed in dark curls like a portrait, the sun shone through highlights of red. What color I wonder, and how straight will it turn plastered back with the sweat of your blood.

Your wet lips were a promise of a secret unspoken, nervous laugh as it burst like a pulse of blood from your throat. There will be no more laughter here.

I feel your body tense up, my hand now on your shoulder, your eyes…Forget the lady called luck she does not abide near me for her powers don't extend to those who are dead.

[illegible words] would that I could keep you, let you be the master of your own fate...knowing full well what's at stake? My pretty captive butterfly colorful wings my hand smears...I somehow repaint them with punishment and tears.

Violent metamorphosis, emerge my dark moth princess, I would come often and worship on the altar of your flesh…You shudder with revulstion and try to shrink far from me. I'll have you tied down and begging to become my Stockholm sweetie.

Okay, talk is over, words are placid and weak. Back it with action or it all comes off cheap. Watch close while I work now, feel the electric shock of my touch, open your trembling flower, or your petals I'll crush."

After listening to the Coroner at an Australian inquest, I'm convinced Israel Keyes isn't unique or a one of. The Coroner berated a lawyer after said lawyer asked "Do you know how many missing people there are in Australia?" The Coroner answered with words to the affect of "I know how many long term missing people there are in Australia and I also know that they're dead. And the reason why I know that they're dead is because I'm a Coroner!"

* Keyes history needs expanding on if it's okay I will add to later

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I've watched a few vids on YouTube about this guy. The word 'cocky' comes to mind.

I've watched a few vids on YouTube about this guy. The word 'cocky' comes to mind.

Cocky got him caught in the end. That and a sharp eyed State Trooper who thought to pull him over and do a check because they were looking for a 'white Ford Focus'. How many of those on the roads? Incredible.

He was also commenting over the internet on his last victim's case and obsessively followed missing persons sites.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I am shocked to not hear of this person

Having just finished the Bundy files on Netflix I found an interesting paralell between the 2 people

Bundy used the lack of cohesive LE to get away with his crimes and Keyes fooled/eluded the now cohesive LE by going ''off the grid'' using cash and driving distances to fool the profilers

Having just finished the Bundy files on Netflix I found an interesting paralell between the 2 people

Bundy used the lack of cohesive LE to get away with his crimes and Keyes fooled/eluded the now cohesive LE by going ''off the grid'' using cash and driving distances to fool the profilers

After his arrest for Samantha Koenig and they realised what he was, the interviews were buried.

We often talk about these people going into relationships and it tends to settle them down. I've sometimes wondered if it's not actually that the partner senses something and watches them like hawks, they're restricted.

Seems to be the case with Keyes, when he moved in with the mother of his child she apparently kept him on a tight leash but after he was caught, she remembered having to go away for work or something and one of the neighbours vanished.

Have been listening to this podcast series on him.

http://www.our-americana.com/truecrimebullshit/

That's the one I listened to yesterday they're doing a thoroughly decent investigative serial. GenWhy and a couple of others are throwing theirs behind patreon membership.

This pod has changed my view entirely on how I look at long term missing persons cases.

Just came across this, if you have a few spare hours over a couple of nights

He's a repulsive person and scarier than all of them, makes him interesting but even more so was watching how the investigators handled him. I haven't watched all of it yet but I think they blew it too soon and he shut down, not through any fault in their technique.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
A lot of this audio (plus more) is featured throughout the Podcasts.

The more you hear him (throughout the Podcasts) the more you turn off him. Especially that damn laugh.

An objectionable human being.
Yes the laugh is forced. It's much like the laugh of Elliot Rodger, "Look at me, I'm laughing".

I just found the best podcast on Keyes with some really great insights on Keyes behaviour. Not well known, most of his interviews and the files are redacted or classified as a threat to national security.

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
I just found the best podcast on Keyes with some really great insights on Keyes behaviour. Not well known, most of his interviews and the files are redacted or classified as a threat to national security.

Awesome, Will have a listen over the coming days.

Israel Keyes May Have Tried To Biohack Himself So He Would Become A More Efficient Killer | Oxygen Official Site.
The book 'American Preditor' by Maureen Callahan is the must read.
In the web address above is also a podcast of Maureen Callahan talking with martini's and Murder team.
Very interesting.

Thanks, I'll check in. I had to turn off after listening to True Crime Bulls*** it got a bit boring, it just waffled on and on to get absolutely nowhere. They also say Keyes is a one-of, a singular and I don't think he is. There's more like him out there.

So having read the book awhile ago I have fallen down the research hole.....updated information is to be found on the 'True Crime Bullsh**' podcasts. You have to look at various episodes its not all in the one place.

Sorry! lol I posted just as your post came through on True Crime Bulls***. I just can't get into it any further, or I must have fallen asleep through the important bits.

Dec 11, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chewton Tigers
Thanks, I'll check in. I had to turn off after listening to True Crime Bulls*** it was so boring, it just waffled on and on to get absolutely nowhere. They also say Keyes is a one-of, a singular and I don't think he is. There's more like him out there.
Hey Kurve hope you are doing well.
The book American Preditor' is the basis of everything following. It is well written and a very good read.
The TCB** podcast goes through stuff in the minutia so you have to be patient as there are some more recent developments that he follows up on.
The thing is to fastforward and look at the more recent pods for newer info.
I am doing so slowly starting with the first 3 that come up on the site and then going back to the first ones in date order.
#0417 The Knife; interesting that Keyes uses real hair for his bank robber disguise and says " you dont have to buy a wig to get real hair".
You can see how the questioners don't follow through on his comments as they are related to a missing man.
It is complicated. If you read the book you have the whole story...the TCB** pods are a deep dive.

Was Keyes different than the usual Serial Killer?
I think yes, for quite a number of reasons, some of them are;
1/ he had no birth certificate and no social security number. He was totally off the radar as to his identity.
He has been coined as the analogue killer in the digital age.
2/ He was bought up in and held beliefs to extreme right/religious fringe roups that tie him into an ideological belief that did not value human life.
This is simpilistic but his connections to the Kehoe brothers and by 2nd degree Timothy McVeigh is interesting.
3/ suposedly he had no 'type' of victim unlike say Bundy who had a type (long dark haired young females)
4/ the FBI changed his classification from serial killer to terrorist during the interviews.
Suposedly because they found he was making bombs and had a bigger plan.
There is no real information on this as it is all classified but it is big.

Fundementally all serial killers are the same but the Keyes case is interesting as once you dive into the details it is very complex.
There is a fundemental problem that the interviewers from the FBI (one in particular whose name I have forgotten) really stuffed up the interviews. And if you listen to the interviews there are many leads that you just go...so why aren't they asking this/the .........question.

The other thing if you wnat to listen to more is to google Maureen Callahan's more recent interviews or pod appearences. She is after all the expert on it all and she is still on the trail.
In one of the latest she says she will reveal some very interesting thngs she has found out recently in the near future.

Back