PC Issues connecting to Bethesda servers

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Doom (1993) and Quake are two of my all-time favourite games. I have logged many, many hours playing through them on Steam (and before Steam)! Both the OG versions and the newer Bethesda "remakes".

However, out of seemingly nowhere, I am suddenly having issues with them (and other Bethesda games like Wolfenstein: Youngblood).

Doom (1993) refuses to connect to the Bethesda servers. Gives me error code 2000. The broader interwebs hasn't had much info on this code. Now I can still play Doom without connecting, but I do lose access to all the add-ons I have downloaded.

Quake simply crashes to desktop as soon as the little 'Connecting to Bethesda.net' message pops up. Sometimes the crash to desktop is delayed, sometimes I can play through a level and then it crashes, or if I die it then crashes, but the crash to desktop is inevitable. But it usually happens when attempting to connect to the servers.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood gives me an error message when it attempts (and fails) to connect. I'm at work now but I have recorded the code it gives me at home.

Initially I thought there was an issue when I transferred my Bethesda app games to Steam when the Bethesda app shut down. I had owned Quake and Doom all along on Steam, but I owned Youngblood on the Bethesda app. But then I tried the Game Pass Ultimate version of Quake, which obviously doesn't use Steam at all, and I'm having the exact same issue. Crash to desktop when attempting to connect to the Bethesda servers. I don't have any issues with other Game Pass games like High on Life or Age of Empires 4.

Quake does seem to work on my Series X (Game Pass version), which just adds to my confusion. I will try that again this evening just in case it wasn't a one off.

Also, Deathloop, another Bethesda game, has no issues connecting to the Bethesda servers (Steam version).

Bethesda support have not been helpful at all (they can't even tell me what the error codes mean!) so I'm hoping someone here has an idea of what I can do. I'm worried that if I take the extreme step of formatting my PC, it won't solve the issue.

I own a shitload of Bethesda games (all the Dooms, Wolfensteins, Fallouts, Elder Scrolls etc) but they're not currently installed and downloading and installing them all just to see if they work will take a long time when I already have games that don't connect and at least one, Deathloop, that does.

Getting increasingly frustrated :(

Bethesda support have not been helpful at all :(

And their latest reply ignored my comments about the Game Pass version having the same issues and told me to uninstall Steam. Which I will do just to tick that box but how that will fix it when the Game Pass version has the exact same issue is beyond me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back