Training It’s a big preseason for .......

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
If we need a marking option on the wing I think Ah Chee offers more than Waterman. I hope he gets regular games next year.
there's always doubts on his tank...somehow I see him as a brett heady/half forward? (but bit crowded down there)

Brayden Ainsworth

Was a surprise when we took him at pick 33 in the 2017 draft and after two years it’s hard to argue the gamble has paid off.

He did manage 3 reasonable games in 2018 and showed enough to suggest there was something to work with. However, in the off season it was revealed he had a significant finger injury as a child which impacted his kicking action and a decision was made to undergo an operation to fix the problem. It seemed to just about completely derail his 2019 season and he failed to add to his AFL game tally as he struggled to have a meaningful impact in the WAFL side with disposal by foot continuing to be problematic

The obvious focus for Ainsworth this preseason will be to work further on his kicking because to say it’s a liability is an understatement. But there are other issues as well. For a projected inside ball winning mid he has a very light frame and if you walked past him in the street he looks like just another unremarkable skinny teenager. His running capacity is fine but he needs to bulk up

With the addition of Kelly to our midfield mix it’s going to be difficult to break into the senior side but an injury or two will open up a spot pretty quickly as there’s not a long list of ready replacements. Ainsworth needs to work his arse off on his deficiencies so he’s in a position to grab any opportunity with both hands, busted ass finger and all

Has a lot of doubters to prove wrong and will be at the top of most lists as a likely 2020 delisting

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Gov and Barrass need to be able to play more than prima-donna interceptors! (bit harsh I know). They got rag-dolled, were victims of dirty play off the ball and going for the ball, were held accountable, made to defend...a need to adapt.

The coaching needs to be tweaked, certainly hope we don't roll out the same brand as 2019. We've been worked out.

Venners missed a season of on-field development, but you'd expect him to return more beefed and skilled.
Petch must work on his other skills, or get a footy-brain implant?- pace 'aint everything if you don't know what to do when you arrive there?
Cole and Duggs might return as improved soldiers.
JK might surprise many in 2020. I never bought into all that "tired old workhorse' jive.
Nelson could capitalise on 2019 and finally find his groove. It's his to lose.
AhChee...???...what can he be? Will they work on him preseason, can he improve?
Cameron will work on his body no doubt and can only improve.
Brander, Rotham and Watson >>>>> thunderbirds are go!
Dont know enough about Ainsworth, Brayshaw, Williams, O'Neill, Foley...(smith?)
Hopefully there's a good midfielder in there somewhere...
Imagine an improved OAllen, Waterman, Ryan and Cameron?
Jeez, it looks like a big preseason for everybody including the water-boy and the tea-lady.....
(*forgot the big fella, NN - please drop some kegs and build that fitness base)

ME ME ME

Senior List
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
if Kennedy does get a solid pre season, he may perform at a high level and retirement could be put on hold.

Nick Riewoldt played until his mid 30s, so im sure it is possible for JK to do the same

Mattman93

high ceiling
Jun 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Cole. Needs to drop some weight.

He was noticeably slimmer in 2018 than any other season and his agility really benefited. I'm concerned that if he doesn't get back there it will end up being a flash in the pan season.

edit - I'll follow this up:

Note 0.26 for example. Clean touch, agile, strong. Didn't see anything resembling that this season.

Last edited:

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
Brayden Ainsworth
Ainsworth needs to work his arse off on his deficiencies so he’s in a position to grab any opportunity with both hands, busted ass finger and all
What's an ass finger

Sorry

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
When you look at our midfield in Shuey Kelly Yeo and Gaff

You would say it's going to be a massive year for Sheed, Vendables, Hutchings and any other mid prospect.

Basically it's 5th midfield spot up for grabs between all of them. Who gets it is anyone's guess but some are going to playing in the twos most likely and need to produce a hell of a lot to get that spot.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

You would say it's going to be a massive year for Sheed, Vendables, Hutchings and any other mid prospect.

Basically it's 5th midfield spot up for grabs between all of them. Who gets it is anyone's guess but some are going to playing in the twos most likely and need to produce a hell of a lot to get that spot.

Sheed in the box seat but he'd really want to up his defensive work rate imo

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Brayden Ainsworth

Was a surprise when we took him at pick 33 in the 2017 draft and after two years it’s hard to argue the gamble has paid off.

He did manage 3 reasonable games in 2018 and showed enough to suggest there was something to work with. However, in the off season it was revealed he had a significant finger injury as a child which impacted his kicking action and a decision was made to undergo an operation to fix the problem. It seemed to just about completely derail his 2019 season and he failed to add to his AFL game tally as he struggled to have a meaningful impact in the WAFL side with disposal by foot continuing to be problematic

The obvious focus for Ainsworth this preseason will be to work further on his kicking because to say it’s a liability is an understatement. But there are other issues as well. For a projected inside ball winning mid he has a very light frame and if you walked past him in the street he looks like just another unremarkable skinny teenager. His running capacity is fine but he needs to bulk up

With the addition of Kelly to our midfield mix it’s going to be difficult to break into the senior side but an injury or two will open up a spot pretty quickly as there’s not a long list of ready replacements. Ainsworth needs to work his arse off on his deficiencies so he’s in a position to grab any opportunity with both hands, busted ass finger and all

Has a lot of doubters to prove wrong and will be at the top of most lists as a likely 2020 delisting
He's surely a 2020 goner. That kicking action, i'm surprised Simmo allowed that to be drafted!

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

Don't forget that Masten is gone, so we can keep all of them in the team with Kelly as well.

Back