Training It’s a big preseason for .......

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
If we need a marking option on the wing I think Ah Chee offers more than Waterman. I hope he gets regular games next year.

This is the kicker though; everyone seems to be aware of this, except Ah Chee:

When Waterman plays in the WAFL, he dominates. He consistently finds the football and consistently kicks goals

When Ah Chee plays in the WAFL he plays pretty well, but doesnt dominate. And if he does dominate a game here and there, he doesnt do it consistently enough

Ah Chee is extremely frustrating in that he SHOULD be dominating in the WAFL, but he doesnt, despite having the physical tools and the talent to do so

If i were the club i would be putting a line through him until he is consistently tearing it up at WAFL level, and telling him as such. He seems to be of the belief that glimpses here and glimpses there are enough to get him games

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I wonder if JK is having surgery and racing time to be ready for round 4.

Poor bloke has not had a pre season for years. If him and Nic could injury free years then anything is possible.

Recall reading this off season is the first for a long time JK doesn't need surgery.

He needs a decent preseason more than most.

Same with Venables.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
JK for mine guys.

I feel if he can get through unscathed, he may do what Lecca did in 2018 and have a really good end to his career.

Up against it though, as his pace to separate from defender diminished a fait bit.

Here's hoping.

Feel that both JK and Nic need to shred some kgs and enter 2020 lighter. More aerobic work and boxing and less heavy weights.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Cole. Needs to drop some weight.

He was noticeably slimmer in 2018 than any other season and his agility really benefited. I'm concerned that if he doesn't get back there it will end up being a flash in the pan season.

edit - I'll follow this up:

Note 0.26 for example. Clean touch, agile, strong. Didn't see anything resembling that this season.

He's listed as 81kg's. At 186cm, He wouldn't want to lose more weight.

Let's not forget that player carrying injuries/niggles in the past do look like they lost pace or agility.

Mattman93

high ceiling
Jun 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
He's listed as 81kg's. At 186cm, He wouldn't want to lose more weight.

Let's not forget that player carrying injuries/niggles in the past do look like they lost pace or agility.

The weight thing is not obvious to you visually? He was clearly slimmer in 2018; he moved better, and he played his best football.

DJMac

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2015
West Coast, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Needs to be a big pre season for the younger fellas. The younger mids.

Venables especially, if he's finally over his concussion issues.

Agree with Venables. We used our first pick on him and there have been high expectations for a while now.
He has probably been a bit lucky at times to be in the team based on his output including a GF. Hopefully he can have an injury free run and go to the next level. It seems that over the last few years any time he starts having an improved patch of form and getting more of the ball he gets injured.

Feel that both JK and Nic need to shred some kgs and enter 2020 lighter. More aerobic work and boxing and less heavy weights.
Nic could do for sure, I don't know if JK has it in him to get lean

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
This is the kicker though; everyone seems to be aware of this, except Ah Chee:

When Waterman plays in the WAFL, he dominates. He consistently finds the football and consistently kicks goals

When Ah Chee plays in the WAFL he plays pretty well, but doesnt dominate. And if he does dominate a game here and there, he doesnt do it consistently enough

Ah Chee is extremely frustrating in that he SHOULD be dominating in the WAFL, but he doesnt, despite having the physical tools and the talent to do so

If i were the club i would be putting a line through him until he is consistently tearing it up at WAFL level, and telling him as such. He seems to be of the belief that glimpses here and glimpses there are enough to get him games
I doubt that he thinks that, but it's frustrating whatever it is?
Maybe he's just not good enough, doesn't have that extra drive/factor/or tank that's required?
It's a pity because he's done some solid play at times in the AFL games-shows potential, looks a solid player and part of the team...then back to the WAFL.
Would be a handy player to have up our sleeve, maybe this preaseason?
Otherwise his future is looking cloudy.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I doubt that he thinks that, but it's frustrating whatever it is?
Maybe he's just not good enough, doesn't have that extra drive/factor/or tank that's required?
It's a pity because he's done some solid play at times in the AFL games-shows potential, looks a solid player and part of the team...then back to the WAFL.
Would be a handy player to have up our sleeve, maybe this preaseason?
Otherwise his future is looking cloudy.

I am hearing you. Hell even Partington used to do well at WAFL level.

If Ah Chee really knuckled down, he should be damn well near taking out the WAFL best and fairest. He should be dominating.

Frustrating.

I am hearing you. Hell even Partington used to do well at WAFL level.

If Ah Chee really knuckled down, he should be damn well near taking out the WAFL best and fairest. He should be dominating.

Frustrating.

Resting on his "damn near taking out the Margary medal" laurels?

Mar 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Xavier O’Neill, showed very little in his first year in the WAFL. Was our 1st Rd pick in what was a strong draft.
He needs to find some self belief, and confidence to take on bigger bodies, hopefully he’s sticking to his body conditioning program. Good size for a mid, has speed and skills.
Just needs to find the footy 50% more than he currently does.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Xavier O’Neill, showed very little in his first year in the WAFL. Was our 1st Rd pick in what was a strong draft.
He needs to find some self belief, and confidence to take on bigger bodies, hopefully he’s sticking to his body conditioning program. Good size for a mid, has speed and skills.

Started the year injure sadly but did play well In the back half of the year.

Was our first pick in the draft but wasn’t a first rounder - used pick 28 for him

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Resting on his "damn near taking out the Margary medal" laurels?

The point i was trying to convey that with his physical tools and skill set, he should be getting quite a few best on grounds.

He isnt.

And therein lies the problem.

I disagree that he showed very little; as mentioned above, his back end of the season was very good. An especially good showing in the final against West Perth bodes well for Skinny X.

Back