Training It’s a big preseason for .......

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Xavier O’Neill, showed very little in his first year in the WAFL. Was our 1st Rd pick in what was a strong draft.
He needs to find some self belief, and confidence to take on bigger bodies, hopefully he’s sticking to his body conditioning program. Good size for a mid, has speed and skills.
Just needs to find the footy 50% more than he currently does.
I was one who thought we reached with O’Niell however his back end at WAFL showed he has a decent footy IQ and I can see as outside winger role for him (that said he is also ok at stoppages).

I want he and Williams to spend time together as Skinny X would do well understanding how to rove to our rucks and get first ball use.

Ainsworth needs to have a ball tearer of a year to avoid going the way of Mallen and Mutes. Needs to set it all up with a huge pre-season.

I really hope the gumby-headed kid makes it. He finds the ball so naturally, which is something we are desperate for.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Ainsworth needs to have a ball tearer of a year to avoid going the way of Mallen and Mutes. Needs to set it all up with a huge pre-season.

I really hope the gumby-headed kid makes it. He finds the ball so naturally, which is something we are desperate for.

Agreed, Thought he was going to do that this year as the few games he played in 18 were actually respectable.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Tom Cole. 2018 Premiership player who just couldn't play decent consistent footy in 2019.

We didnt have much run in the backline this year with Cole out. Subtle but had an impact on our transition into the forwardline.

Need Cole Duggan Nelson Rotham to really go to that next level in the Sheppard mould and become great players. They all have the talent.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
I want to see something from Foley. Pre draft he was touted as a player with above average disposal and played as an inside mid and is of decent height ( 188cms). If he can bulk up a bit and learn that inside role and play him there in the WAFL and see what he can do.
I went back to my pre-draft notes and had Foley down as an outside mid who could also play flanker (forward and back).

I was not happy when we took him but was convinced by others he would be ok. I hope he has a massive pre-season otherwise I cannot see a contract extension.

DJMac

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2015
West Coast, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s a big pre season for JK and Nic. I don’t think JK has done a proper pre season for a number of years and is normally coming back from some king of surgery, aiming to be ready for round 1 to 4. If he can get his body right and start the season fit it will be huge for us.

Similarly Nic needs to start round 1 fit and firing and get through the year without serious injury.

If that happens and we don’t lose any of the guns then book GF tickets.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Doesn't seem like to many had serious surgery this off season? I think O Allen and Nic Nat had a clean up recently and then Brander in August with his hammie but seems to be up and running.

I agree with above about Nic nat and JK having a strong pre-season and then start to the year, if those two are firing we can get some early wins on the board so if we need to we CAN rest those players so they are prime for finals.

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
Probably the group in that 3-4 year mark who should have a few preseasons under the belt and now be at the physical maturity to be able to take that next step.

DV, Brander, Allen, Petch, Ainsworth, Ryan, Waterman, Rotham & Watson all fall in that category.

Thats a lot of natural development to come in a good mix of areas. I have high hopes that all become genuine footballers- but you’d think 6 become at least B+ on what we’ve seen thus far.

Ryan took his game to another level this year, but I think he has another step up. So this is a pretty crucial preseason even if he had a good year- he needs to back

I’m not including our bunch from last year; I do suspect we had year 3 in mind when we drafted them, so I suspect we see this year as a full development year anyway. But I think we will see Williams debut pretty early if he has a good preseason. He looks more ready to compete then O’neill and Foley right now.

Tom Barrass disintegrated last year as he lost all sense of when to intercept and when to lock down. In fact somehow despite the talent down back our defence was actually very average. Teams worked it out and we had no plan B.
17 teams spent an offseason looking at how to get around our defence generally, and McGovern specifically, then honing that throughout the season as they saw what other teams tried. Eventually some sides, the good ones, worked it out and we got found out a few times when they made McGovern accountable and attacked through Barrass’ opponent without Gov intercepting.

Simpson and co. have this off-season to refine our setups to counter what sides did. I expect to see Barrass doing a lot more 1 on 1 work over the summer

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
17 teams spent an offseason looking at how to get around our defence generally, and McGovern specifically, then honing that throughout the season as they saw what other teams tried. Eventually some sides, the good ones, worked it out and we got found out a few times when they made McGovern accountable and attacked through Barrass’ opponent without Gov intercepting.

Simpson and co. have this off-season to refine our setups to counter what sides did. I expect to see Barrass doing a lot more 1 on 1 work over the summer

Hopefully Glassy can spare a few minutes to give him some pointers.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

Yes it was clear other teams put work into mitigating both McGovern and Barrass and were quite successful mainly because team were able to isolate Barrass (who really struggled man on man). This also meant we had to play Schofield as a lock down defender which stopped us leaking goals but restricted our rebound. One of Barrass and McGovern needs to be more accountable and IMO thats Barrass.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree with at least one of our KPB becoming better at locking down. Schofield was used in this role a bit last year but Id like to see Brander doing it more so he can perform both roles as needed- shut down and attacking interceptor. It wouldnt hurt Gov to have this skill in his tool kit either, especially if he comes up against Buddy again.
One thing that did allow opposition teams to counter Gov and Sexual was time with the ball and clearances. Im hoping that with Kelly now in the guts, we can start to win more clearances and/or put greater pressure on the oppo attacks so that Gov et al. are better able to use their interceptions to pressured high balls coming into the back 50. As god as those guys are, they do rely on the rest of the team doing their bit up the ground and pressuring delivery.

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
-I hope Brander has a huge preseason.We need somebody of his kicking ability and size to start covering [A] Hurn and Jetta with their elite kicking and the size to cover McG or Barass. WCE said that OAllen would be doing extra training with a view to defence; and god knows the kid could play anywhere; but hes put on 3 cm to be almost 6'5" in old talk.Hes got Rioli like moves and i reckon he should go forward.Brander has him well and truly covered in the kicking dept.
-Ive mooted the idea before and with all the chatter about McGov being worked out/around why cant he play second ruck??

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Barrass did have a stress fracture in his foot early on and then the broken hand in the back half of the year. Those sort of injuries dent your confidence quite a bit and hence is form at times.
This is often overlooked. No wonder he had trouble making with a broken hand. Would have preferred to see him spoil more in the back end of the season,like he did against Adelaide.

Don't forget that Duggan was out injured in the back end as well. The defense lost continuity at exactly the wrong time.

Back