Training It’s a big preseason for .......

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah, was announced in the media release of the 2km time trial.

No context given in regard to overall times however, so it may not be as impressive as it initially sounds.

i.e. he may have gone from 8:30 to 8:10 but that would still place him almost 2 minutes behind the elite tier of midfielders, who generally place in the 6:00-6:30 bracket.

It would be nice to get some actual times, but can understand why they don't get pubicised.

Encouraging nonetheless to see that Cameron's fitness has improved.
I take it in the context of the fact that he played games this year, was fit enough to do that and to perform (and not tire horrifically during games).

To come back the following preseason in better shape from the start has to be a good thing. Would be good to know if he has also put on some muscle. The often-forgotten portion of the elite 2km TT times that AFL mids churn out is that often they are considered overweight on a BMI basis. Compared to distance runners etc their ability to run time whilst carrying muscle weight in the upper body is quite impressive.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
Dan Venables

First things first - let’s hope he’s recovered fully from that nasty concussion he suffered and there’s no lingering effects

Assuming that’s the case he needs to do what he hasn’t achieved in the previous 3 off seasons and that’s have an injury free preseason. It takes time to build a tank and core strength over successive preseasons and not achieving that in any year sets that back so he’s already behind the 8 ball

I’m sure the club had hopes when drafting him that Venables would be able to transition into a midfield role but that just hasn’t happened through his seemingly never ending battle with injury. A big preseason could see him spend more time training with the midfield group as we search for more depth in that part of the ground

He has the raw talent to play through the middle but needs to improve his tank and strength if he’s to have any hope of making it. Is also coming out of contract in 2020 so needs a big year to push up his value ..

Agree and besides his recovery from concussion , this could be his best preseason preparation with a injury free body ..

Dale Doback

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Miami Heat
I want to see Williams and Brander given time inside 50 next year as JK looks near cooked. Waterman is too short to be his long term replacement. JK's double grabbing marks he used to clunk under light or no pressure. He's fatiguing early in the second half these days and seems to have no power to jump or finish off a lead strong enough to get enough separation from the defender. Father time is undefeated.

DJMac

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2015
West Coast, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I want to see Williams and Brander given time inside 50 next year as JK looks near cooked. Waterman is too short to be his long term replacement. JK's double grabbing marks he used to clunk under light or no pressure. He's fatiguing early in the second half these days and seems to have no power to jump or finish off a lead strong enough to get enough separation from the defender. Father time is undefeated.

I agree that was JK last year but I am also hopeful that he can get a good pre season in. It would be his first in a number of years. If he can stay injury free and do a pre season I think he can have at least one more good year.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Well, we're past the halfway mark of the offseason,
and are sliding slowly towards the preseason games, with all its speculation on selection of new/younger players...won't be long now?

Last edited:

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Nah!

I just can’t get too excited about Nic - feels like there’s always another injury around the corner unfortunately. It would be amazing if he stays fit all year

If NN stays fit all year we make top four and most probably top two.
His wellbeing is critical to how far we go this season.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
received_176802036914602.jpeg

Back