It’s Flea time - Cody Weightman appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Showed everything I've been wanting to see from him this week. My concern for him has been rising of late, but that game did a lot to provide newfound optimism. He looked excellent. Hope he gets the rest of the year to build.

As Bob just said on SEN, he plays with a joy for the game like Eddie Betts. Good point, I love his enthusiasm, can be infectious.
My favourite thing was his reaction to Naughton's mark. See here:

I actually missed the mark live due to some poor timing but he reacted the same way I did when I saw the replay.

Showed everything I've been wanting to see from him this week. My concern for him has been rising of late, but that game did a lot to provide newfound optimism. He looked excellent. Hope he gets the rest of the year to build.
It’s great to see a natural small forward playing in his actual position. Instead of experimenting with converted mids and defenders. In saying that, Picken and Clay Smith were great for us. But it’s just good watching a natural small forward play with good forward instincts.

I actually missed the mark live due to some poor timing but he reacted the same way I did when I saw the replay.
But he touched him on the bum. Let’s hope the AFL don’t investigate it lol.

If you look at the last reply angle you can see Hannan's dummy lead to clear the area, and Weightman was front and centre. Good forward positioning all round

Small sample size but that effort against a top 8 side with a good defence was everything a small forward should be. Good in the air, run past goal, around the corner goal and the X factor over the head crumbing snap plus chase and tackle. No other small forward options have shown all of that this year. Needs to stay in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at the last reply angle you can see Hannan's dummy lead to clear the area, and Weightman was front and centre. Good forward positioning all round
And poor old McSteil drew the short straw as to who'd be the step ladder. I think the other two must have pulled seniority on him.

The other thing I got out of it is that he plays bouzouki left handed.

It’s great to see a talented youngster learn his craft in the VFL, be made to earn it and then bring it to the seniors. Hat tip to the football program. I truly hope he makes that spot his own for a decade, we have been starved of his type for so long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved his chasing, tackling and that he presents as a marking option when needed. Being able to crumb is good but having the versatility to be a marking option as well is very useful. He won't kick flashy goals every week but if he brings that work rate and energy then he will be an excellent addition to our team. He didn't slow down late in the game either which indicates a good fitness base now.

I loved his chasing, tackling and that he presents as a marking option when needed. Being able to crumb is good but having the versatility to be a marking option as well is very useful. He won't kick flashy goals every week but if he brings that work rate and energy then he will be an excellent addition to our team. He didn't slow down late in the game either which indicates a good fitness base now.

Not only fitness, but he appears to have put on a bit of muscle as well.

Aside from all the other pluses mentioned, Cody taking 3 contested marks is huge. That is a good number for a genuine kpf.

With all the other marking targets up forward, having a small as a genuine marking option also is a nightmare for opponents.

3 contested marks in the first quarter..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not only fitness, but he appears to have put on a bit of muscle as well.

That’s all we were waiting for, he’s got the talent.

He seems the type to lift his game for the seniors. He’s a showman.

Hey Dogs fans,

On our blog each week we discuss 5 interesting developments occurring in the AFL. One of our topics this week was Cody Weightman.

Apologies for the long post but I have to post it all here - if you want to read the full article - https://footytalkingpoints.com.au/2021/05/19/ftp-9/

It’s hard not to talk about Weightman (#19) after his dazzling performance on Saturday night. Having played only 4 games in his rookie year after being taken with Pick 15, Weightman played his first game of the year on the weekend and had 12 disposals, 5 tackles and 3 goals.

Weightman is a really unique small forward because of his marking ability for his size. He has a big leap for a player listed at 177 cm which allows him to play above his height – just last week he took a mark of the year contender in the VFL.

To go with his big leap, he has incredible body control in the air to turn his body to the ball.

He is out of position on Hartlett here – yet knows he has the leap to impact the contest. It’s subtle but he uses his lower body to almost push Hartlett out of position. Weightman’s momentum makes it difficult for Hartlett to spoil whilst he gets enough air time to get his fingertips on the ball. Very few players possess this trait and the ones that do (Greene springs to mind) are match up nightmares because they are threats both in the air and on the ground and can mark the ball even when they are initially out of position. Another reason why Weightman’s performance was so impressive was that he kicked his 3 goals in completely different ways.

In addition to his goal from the mark above, Weightman kicked a composed on the run goal from a handball receive and a quick snap (behind his head if you don’t mind) from a quick pressurised situation – showing he has a nous for where the goals are.

Even more impressive, both goals were at important moments of the game. One to solidify the Bulldogs’ fast start in the first quarter and the other in the last quarter to seal the game. It’s also worth noting that he did all of this in a top 4 clash against a really good team on the road!

Part of the reason Weightman was able to come in for his first game of the year and perform so well is because of the Bulldogs’ process with their young players. The hallmark of a good club is one that allows their young players to develop at the lower level and bring consistency to their games for multiple weeks before being considered for the AFL.

Weightman as an example shows that the Bulldog’s are doing the best thing for Jamarra’s career. The increasing speculation each week on when he will play is poor by the media – stop putting expectation on a teenager who likely isn’t ready for AFL football and who has missed a whole year of footy.

Undoubtedly there will be games where Weightman is quiet and doesn’t hit the scoreboard. But it’s hard to keep players like Weightman out of the side when they have this kind of X factor. As he gets stronger and more comfortable at the level, he is going to pose match up headaches for opponents because of his ability in the air and at ground level. The Bulldog’s look like they’ve nailed this pick.

A lot of our forwards were moved there later in their career. Weightman's been a forward all through juniors, so did his time with a bag of footballs trying to hit a target. Naughton, for example, has a flair for the ridiculous and is amazing at the shots that look impossible, but his easy set shots aren't the greatest because growing up as a defender he just wouldn't have had the same goal kicking practice. For Weightman, obviously he's way behind Naughton, but knowing where the goals are has become natural.

My goodness though, Naughton’s snap was horrific, kicked like a sausage roll, it just floats through..he seriously needs to practice his snapping technique.

Couldn't care less, just that it sails through more often that not. This young man is amazing.
[/QUOT
Couldn't care less, just that it sails through more often that not. This young man is amazing.
he is a jet, but he could easily have had5-10 more goals this year if his snapping technique was improved. Consistently struggles with them, and would say he misses more than he gets.

My goodness though, Naughton’s snap was horrific, kicked like a sausage roll, it just floats through..he seriously needs to practice his snapping technique.

Lack of frames + ball spinning fast = ball looks like a sack.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back