It’s Flea time - Cody Weightman appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a good example of our player development programme in action. Came with some elite skills, but we are watching a complete player being built before or eyes.

Think his upbeat attitude and having Wallis as a mentor has helped him a lot. We've got a pretty good group of leaders at the club at the moment. Even the guys that have played up off field in their younger days put in the work on the training track.

Think his upbeat attitude and having Wallis as a mentor has helped him a lot. We've got a pretty good group of leaders at the club at the moment. Even the guys that have played up off field in their younger days put in the work on the training track.
Yeah, guys behind the scenes like Jamie Maddocks and Travis Varcoe as well.

I’m pleased that his defensive pressure seems better than advertised. There were a lot of reports that suggested whilst he was a good marking and goal kicking type player, his pressure wasn’t as typical as you’d expect from a small forward.

His smother and desperation to set up Naughton’s goal in the first last week was brilliant.

Livewire forward Cody Weightman is a tricky matchup for opposition coaches and could yet prove a finals wildcard for Luke Beveridge. The 20-year-old had a breakout game against the lowly Kangaroos on Sunday, outshining Aaron Naughton and Josh Bruce to finish with four goals and two contested marks in a superb individual performance. Weightman plays a lot like Collingwood's Jamie Elliott, in that he is an excellent mark for his size and can kick goals as a marking target or a crumbing goalsneak. Sit him next to Aaron Naughton and Josh Bruce in an already dangerous forward line and he can prosper in the post-season if opposition coaches don't put plenty of thought into how to stop him. - Jonathan Healy

Norf fans sook about weightman diving.

Only dive I saw was on the lead to take a great mark in front of norf legend shaun atley.

He’s got a long way to go to get even halfway towards Ben Brown in terms of staging

Norf fans sook about weightman diving.

Only dive I saw was on the lead to take a great mark in front of norf legend shaun atley.

He’s got a long way to go to get even halfway towards Ben Brown in terms of staging
They've gotta learn not to push him then because he will make sure the umps see it.

The photo on the back page of the Herald Sun today of Weightman taking his spectacular grab against North yesterday reminded me of Jason Dunstall's sideways mark versus Melbourne in 1988. Both players wear number 19.
If you've never seen Dunstall's mark it appears at 1:34 in this clip.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Averages only one less possession than Nick Cox and kicked 6 more goals in half as many games but he doesn’t play for Essendon or is a 200 cm wingman so not considered a Rising star chance. Interesting if Cody continues in this form whether he gets pushed up the leaderboard by end of year. Our boys seem to get late recognition - Bailey Smith and Naughts were season long afterthoughts until their actual consistency forced commentators to notice. It’s starting for Cody let’s see how it goes from here.

Not that I really care as I’d rather have two current RS runners up with two premiership medals, 4 ( soon to be 5) B&Fs, 4 ( soon to be 5) AAs, and captaincy between them over the blokes with RS award. Hopefully Cody gets to flash another premiership medal at this years winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Averages only one less possession than Nick Cox and kicked 6 more goals in half as many games but he doesn’t play for Essendon or is a 200 cm wingman so not considered a Rising star chance. Interesting if Cody continues in this form whether he gets pushed up the leaderboard by end of year. Our boys seem to get late recognition - Bailey Smith and Naughts were season long afterthoughts until their actual consistency forced commentators to notice. It’s starting for Cody let’s see how it goes from here.

Not that I really care as I’d rather have two current RS runners up with two premiership medals, 4 ( soon to be 5) B&Fs, 4 ( soon to be 5) AAs, and captaincy between them over the blokes with RS award. Hopefully Cody gets to flash another premiership medal at this years winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who is the second runner up with a premiership medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back