It’s Flea time - Cody Weightman appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you see Weightman's first year? What does he need to work on to be a starting 22?

I think he's shown some good things, but his match readiness needs work. Not having a VFL to develop in has hindered him I think. Biggest attribute would be goal sense, biggest areas of improvement would be endurance and his ability to read the AFL-level game.

How do you see Weightman's first year? What does he need to work on to be a starting 22?

Needs to bring his pressure way up. Not enough tackles, pressure acts, or ground ball gets. Never been his biggest strengths so he'll need to work at those. Lucky for him that's usually the easier part to pick up. His offensive output is already good.

Thanks weltschmerz Boyd oh Boyd and Mojorisin. I know he was a high draft pick and sometimes they don't always pan out. Just curious as JJ said he could debut round 1. That mark he took in his first game was amazing. I couldn't believe it. I hope he pans out for you boys. I will be following his progress as he looks a ripper.

I think he'll get there. The things he needs can be developed.

Weightman showed enough in his first game to suggest he will pan out. You can’t discount how hard having no vfl to learn would have been for a first year player. His endurance needs work so he can work with the same intensity for four quarters.

He also wasn’t matched with a senior player during the shut down which could have meant he didn’t work as hard as he needed to build and maintain fitness.

Weightman showed enough in his first game to suggest he will pan out. You can’t discount how hard having no vfl to learn would have been for a first year player. His endurance needs work so he can work with the same intensity for four quarters.

He also wasn’t matched with a senior player during the shut down which could have meant he didn’t work as hard as he needed to build and maintain fitness.

Thought he was living with Mitch Wallis after he got drafted? Was a mentor of some sort

I think he'll be a 'neat' player but not the kind of X factor small pressure forward we're targeting at the trade table this year.
He plays like a mid-sizer (more Jamie Elliot/Tory Dickson/Sam lloyd style).
In fairness this year is a total write-off to most 2019 draftees. No VFL football is a big problem and I expect the 2019 draft class will take a little longer to develop as a result.

Thought he was living with Mitch Wallis after he got drafted? Was a mentor of some sort

He was back home during the shutdown I think. Trained with Cal Porter because they lived close to each other, but two players yet to debut can't give each other quite the same assistance that an experienced player could.

He was back home during the shutdown I think. Trained with Cal Porter because they lived close to each other, but two players yet to debut can't give each other quite the same assistance that an experienced player could.
On the flip side, Vandermeer was paired with Bailey Smith. Both hungry kids with real mongrel. I'm a huge fan of VDM and loved what he did at VFL level last year, so glad his pace and aggression have translated well to the senior stage.

I like Weightman, showed some really good signs but probably wasn't quite ready. No VFL really would've stalled the development of all the guys in their first one or two seasons.

One thing he probably needed to work on was that he was his composure. Few times he rushed it too much when he won the ball, took a really good mark on the wing in one game and played on and just blasted it inside 50 where we had no numbers instead of just taking his time and waiting for an option. That will come with more gametime and experience.

Hoping to see a lot more of him and West in 2021 along with Vandermeer of course

On the flip side, Vandermeer was paired with Bailey Smith. Both hungry kids with real mongrel. I'm a huge fan of VDM and loved what he did at VFL level last year, so glad his pace and aggression have translated well to the senior stage.

To be fair though bailey smith is probably the most professional draftee to ever be drafted, the club had to tone down his fitness and dietary regime

I wish we could clone Vandermeer. Another player who he can rotate with off th wing and half-forward, with that pace and aggression, would be absolutely ideal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Weightman, showed some really good signs but probably wasn't quite ready. No VFL really would've stalled the development of all the guys in their first one or two seasons.

One thing he probably needed to work on was that he was his composure. Few times he rushed it too much when he won the ball, took a really good mark on the wing in one game and played on and just blasted it inside 50 where we had no numbers instead of just taking his time and waiting for an option. That will come with more gametime and experience.

Hoping to see a lot more of him and West in 2021 along with Vandermeer of course

With McLean out, I imagine West and Weightman having some more chances.

Needs to improve his fitness to get more of the footy. I also think his kicking for Goal was average - have to nail your shots if you don’t get much of the pill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back