It’s Flea time - Cody Weightman appreciation thread

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
He was brilliant against Essendon, was the match winner imo, crucial goals at crucial times of the match. Great game for his first final, we have got something special on our hands here.
He has superstar written all over him IMO. I’ve already forgotten that he’s only 20. I think he can be a 40-50 goal year small forward with all the intangibles he brings.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
He was brilliant against Essendon, was the match winner imo, crucial goals at crucial times of the match. Great game for his first final, we have got something special on our hands here.

He almost got us over the line in the Port game too. From memory there was a five minute patch in which he kicked a goal and then directly set up another two.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’ve always liked him but honestly I didn’t see him being this good, I genuinely think he could be one of the best 3-4 players on our list, he’s just the full package - deadly in front of goal, obviously so strong in the air (it’s not just the hangers either, that mark he took at CHF yesterday under immense pressure was just good strong hands while being strong in the core to hold position) but with this insane workrate - it’s rare you get a speedy little scrapper who works as hard defensively as he does who is actually an incredibly talented footballer with little (if any?) deficiencies. I hope he never changes the way he plays he’s a joy to watch.

Honestly what’s his ceiling? He’s now got 25 goals from 14 games in what’s really his first proper season of footy. With all the different ways he has to get himself into the game I see no reason he can’t be a 40-50 goal forward. Well he’s already a 40 goal forward at this rate (Going at 1.8 a game he’d be sitting on 41 in a full 23 game season). Gun.

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He has superstar written all over him IMO. I’ve already forgotten that he’s only 20. I think he can be a 40-50 goal year small forward with all the intangibles he brings.

He’s kick 25 in 14 games. Nearly wins the Coleman last season with that form. Just maintain that form next year and he gets 40. Continue to grow and sky is the limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’ve always liked him but honestly I didn’t see him being this good, I genuinely think he could be one of the best 3-4 players on our list, he’s just the full package - deadly in front of goal, obviously so strong in the air (it’s not just the hangers either, that mark he took at CHF yesterday under immense pressure was just good strong hands while being strong in the core to hold position) but with this insane workrate - it’s rare you get a speedy little scrapper who works as hard defensively as he does who is actually an incredibly talented footballer with little (if any?) deficiencies. I hope he never changes the way he plays he’s a joy to watch.

Honestly what’s his ceiling? He’s now got 25 goals from 14 games in what’s really his first proper season of footy. With all the different ways he has to get himself into the game I see no reason he can’t be a 40-50 goal forward. Well he’s already a 40 goal forward at this rate (Going at 1.8 a game he’d be sitting on 41 in a full 23 game season). Gun.

If he can get anywhere close to Toby Greene's level, without belting people, we'll be laughing.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Looking at the AFL board behind Toby Greene he is public enemy no.1 all because he got 4 free kicks and kicked 4 goals and only one was not there. Go figure jealously is a curse.

He is going to be a lot of supporter favourite by seasons end.

I am really surprised how quickly he has come on.
Yes it's strange to think that he couldn't get a game in the seniors this year until Round 9. And only had 3 games in 2020.

I like that he can rise above the team's form. When we are not going well he doesn't get stuck in the same rut as many of his teammates. He lifts and sets an example of endeavour, such as defensive pressure and an opportunist goal.

He is also consistent for a small forward. In 14 games this year he has failed to kick a goal only once (v Sydney) and has kicked 25 in total at an average of 1.78/game (more than Dickson averaged over his career).

Despite only playing 14 games he is 5th on our list for Goal Assists this year, ahead of players like Bruce and Naughton:

1630318408878.png

Source: Footy Wire

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yes it's strange to think that he couldn't get a game in the seniors this year until Round 9. And only had 3 games in 2020.

I like that he can rise above the team's form. When we are not going well he doesn't get stuck in the same rut as many of his teammates. He lifts and sets an example of endeavour, such as defensive pressure and an opportunist goal.

He is also consistent for a small forward. In 14 games this year he has failed to kick a goal only once (v Sydney) and has kicked 25 in total at an average of 1.78/game (more than Dickson averaged over his career).

Despite only playing 14 games he is 5th on our list for Goal Assists this year, ahead of players like Bruce and Naughton:

View attachment 1221931
Source: Footy Wire

A very impressive year and currently ranked 2nd at the club for average Scoreboard Impact Points (score + score assisted) only behind Bruce and he's accurate going at 60% in front of goal, almost 15% ahead of the competition average.

Screenshot 2021-08-31 at 2.51.27 am.png

Injured Western Bulldogs star Josh Bruce trolls online haters of teammate Cody Weightman
The online hate for Western Bulldogs finals hero Cody Weightman has been slapped down by an injured teammate.

August 30, 2021 - 1:08PM
NCA NewsWire

Injured Western Bulldogs star Josh Bruce has lived up to his reputation as the “ultimate teammate” by turning online protector for finals hero Cody Weightman.
Weightman kicked four matchwinning goals in the Bulldogs’ elimination final win over Essendon on Sunday.
But the 19-year-old was attacked online after all four came from free kicks in a game that ended the Bombers’ season, with a 22-14 free kick count in favour of the winning team.
Weightman, who was playing in his first final and just his 18th AFL game, copped plenty on social media despite earning votes from several pundits for his efforts.

Bruce, whose season was ended by a knee injury in the final minutes against Essendon in round 21, used his time on the sidelines well, sticking up for Weightman.
Replying to some of the ugly comments posted on Weightman’s Instagram account, Bruce trolled the attackers, earning plenty of plaudits himself.
Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton, who kicked three goals in Bruce’s absence, said he “loved” playing with Weightman, acknowledging his capacity to get free kicks.
“We know what the Flea (Weightman) is up to, drawing a couple of free kicks. But the energy and pressure he puts on the ball is evident and that’s why he got a lot of free kicks,” Naughton told the club website,
“He’s such a great finisher on goal, I love playing with him.”

Naughton said he was quickly on the phone to Bruce after the win in Launceston that sent the Bulldogs into a semi-final showdown with the Brisbane Lions this Saturday.
“It’s obviously heartbreaking for my mate Brucey – I was on FaceTime to him just before,” he said.
“He’s just the ultimate teammate. Without him down there you have to take a bit more responsibility and leadership as the main sort of target down there, which has been good.”
The Bulldogs, who are still in Tasmania., are set to play on Saturday afternoon in Brisbane, with the winner to progress to a preliminary final showdown with Port Adelaide.

If you ignore the goals he kicked, he got us going in the first quarter between the arcs. A desperate smother to turn the ball over, and a very good mark under pressure running with the flight of the ball. He can do it all.

Nice to have another Package :D

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you ignore the goals he kicked, he got us going in the first quarter between the arcs. A desperate smother to turn the ball over, and a very good mark under pressure running with the flight of the ball. He can do it all.
Watched Cody spend a fair bit of time in the midfield in one of our VFL games this year. The kid has serious talent outside of kicking goals

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I guess future Bulldog Tim O'Brien made it.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Watched Cody spend a fair bit of time in the midfield in one of our VFL games this year. The kid has serious talent outside of kicking goals
I think that was probably just to fast-track his fitness, small forward in the VFL is not a great position to play! I’m not saying he couldn’t do it at AFL level but it’s nice to have a young small on our list whose never once mentioned moving into the midfield or whose name has been brought up to move into the midfield tbh. I’d love to see him just focus on becoming one of the best small forwards in the comp without worrying about the midfield at all! He’s such a natural talent in the forward line too I honestly think he’d be wasted. I get the feeling he just wants to kick goals, which is nice we don’t have too many like that! Jamarra being another one

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think that was probably just to fast-track his fitness, small forward in the VFL is not a great position to play! I’m not saying he couldn’t do it at AFL level but it’s nice to have a young small on our list whose never once mentioned moving into the midfield or whose name has been brought up to move into the midfield tbh. I’d love to see him just focus on becoming one of the best small forwards in the comp without worrying about the midfield at all! He’s such a natural talent in the forward line too I honestly think he’d be wasted. I get the feeling he just wants to kick goals, which is nice we don’t have too many like that! Jamarra being another one

Yeah don't get me wrong I want him to stay forward. Just pointing put his skills are broader than that. And yeah Marra too!

Back