Opinion It’s time for Rob Chapman to * off

Should Rob Chapman stay?

• Total voters
What would you like us to do?

September 2017, I sent Andrew Fagan an E Mail about different aspects that disappointed me about the game day experience. He fobbed me off to Nigel Smart. During this conversation, Nigel assured me my issues would be looked at and fixed for the 2018 season.

Come round 1 the same problems were still occurring and no changes were made. As of last Sunday, the same isues had not been fixed. Its literally painful to go to games.

I have spoken to Andrew Fagan about this, he put me onto Nigel Smart, Nigel Smart basically fobbed me off to members services and then spoke to Justin and Erin about fixing my problem. Nothing was done. I’ve learnt to live with it and jut accept threy really don’t care.

I’ve followed the correct process. Spoken to the appropriate people and shown plenty of patience. What else would you like me to do?

Whether we have 1 member of 100,000 members, every member should me made toi feel as if they are the most important member the club has. Under Rob Chapman leadership, unless you are a Captain Of Industry with an eight figure income, they don’t care about you. You are just a number to the club.

I’m actually ready to just watch games on TV with my foxtel subscription.
I’m not saying don’t complain... AT ALL! I’m saying... can you complain with a level of common decency? Calling someone a “spineless weasel” and much much worse, is just not necessary. That’s all I’m saying.

As to whether Chapman should stay or go, I think it’s time to move on. He certainly was very lucky to stay after the Tippett fiasco, however I thought he handled Walsh’s death and subsequent moves (Fagan, Pyke) well. He has been very quiet this year, which is frankly, not like him. Perhaps he’s had enough too? Some new blood would refresh us... as long as it’s not someone from within.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
10 years is too long IMO, for a sporting organization.

6 years maybe?
Kennett liked the 7 year rule, the only off-field bloke to last longer at Hawthorn is Clarkson. I like that sort of thinking.

As for the OP, I think we are well overdue a change however the replacement cannot come from within the current structure.

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
1 year is too long for the wrong person. 50 years (exaggeration I know) is too short for the right person. I don’t buy into this rule about someone can only stay so long. Boards should be voted in and out.

That’s why members and key steakholders should have a say on who represents them.

The way the system is set up, we have to wait for him to walk away.

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
As for the OP, I think we are well overdue a change however the replacement cannot come from within the current structure.

I don’t think I even mentioned anyone to replace him. When I made this thread, I was pritty drunk after getting home on Friday Night after a few drinks after work.

I was pritty drunk, I even voted to keep him. I didn’t read my own poll and misread the poll. Until today, I forgot I even made it.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don’t think I even mentioned anyone to replace him. When I made this thread, I was prity drunk after getting home on Friday Night after a few drinks after work.

I was pritty drunk, I even voted to keep him. I didn’t read my own poll and misread the poll. Until today, Iforgot I even made it.

:D

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I don’t think I even mentioned anyone to replace him. When I made this thread, I was pritty drunk after getting home on Friday Night after a few drinks after work.

I was pritty drunk, I even voted to keep him. I didn’t read my own poll and misread the poll. Until today, I forgot I even made it.
I wasn't saying you did, just saying we need to look outside

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wasn't saying you did, just saying we need to look outside

It’s not really going to matter who replaces him until the system changes. Unless an entire new board comes in, the current culture of the bird will continue to be perpetuated.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wow, why don't we all just go out and burn the club down while we are at it.
if we moved on everyone we want, there will be nobody left to run the club.
Anyone would think we are a financial wreck and our football department is at Carlton levels

My view is Chapman will move on midway thru 2019 when his terms ups. He may have handed over earlier but unfortunate events may have put a damper on that.
The new Chairman is most likely still finding there footing. and my tip is it will not be M Ricciuto
But Mark Ricciuto will be made a non-member elect as mention last year, to make way for a Member-elect to come from the members not a fan favorite.

At this time it would be stupid to move him on him unless of course, you expect the club to crap both in football terms and financially in 2019 which it will not be.
The Club is Financially sound and improving, Football-wise it a different story. but again it only 1 year previous to that, we were good enough to make a Grand Final and be the best team all year for 2017 home and away we lost 1 final albeit the most important one. .
Still, the club needs to look at itself and find a way to improve greatly on our 2018 performance, But I don't believe moving Chapman is the answer.

How many premierships have both Carlton and the Crows won in the past two decades?

Yes we've put up some better results in the home and away, but home and away doesn't mean s**t.

Fact is we are only JUST above Carlton when it comes to how successful we have been as a club.

Nearly every other side in the competition has been better than us over the past 20 years, as can be shown by their trophy cabinets.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
How many premierships have both Carlton and the Crows won in the past two decades?

Yes we've put up some better results in the home and away, but home and away doesn't mean s**t.

Fact is we are only JUST above Carlton when it comes to how successful we have been as a club.

Nearly every other side in the competition has been better than us over the past 20 years, as can be shown by their trophy cabinets.

Carlton had a strong chance of playing regular finals and competing for top 4, then they went to s**t and became the team on and off the field they are today. what happened to send them that way, In fighting, witch hunts, and blame games.

The Crows have had there chances over the same period a lot more chances than Carlton and I will say quite a few other clubs. However, we fell short on the final lap.
Remember in order to play in the grand final first you have to reach the finals then you need to be in the last 4. Our problem in the last 20 years has not making the finals, but winning games in the last 2 weeks of the season.

So when you say we are JUST above Carlton Have you looked at how many time have they made the last 2 weeks. s**t how many time have they won in the last 4 weeks of the season.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

Nearly every side ?? Nah.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
The club's constitution needs to be changed to give members voting rights, simple as that.

Yes and No some days I agree other not so,
I am more 3-4 member being voted in. currently, 2 member-elect and they seem to go to fan favourites
I am worried if we can vote the entire Board that most supporters will vote in favourite more than a person who can do the job.
so I prefer more of a compromise.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Carlton had a strong chance of playing regular finals and competing for top 4, then they went to s**t and became the team on and off the field they are today. what happened to send them that way, In fighting, witch hunts, and blame games.

The Crows have had there chances over the same period a lot more chances than Carlton and I will say quite a few other clubs. However, we fell short on the final lap.
Remember in order to play in the grand final first you have to reach the finals then you need to be in the last 4. Our problem in the last 20 years has not making the finals, but winning games in the last 2 weeks of the season.

So when you say we are JUST above Carlton Have you looked at how many time have they made the last 2 weeks. s**t how many time have they won in the last 4 weeks of the season.

Carlton have made the last 1, the only thing that counts, 0 times in the last 20yrs.
As have we.

Next Gen Rookie

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2017
Hiding in Bacon8's roofspace
AFL Club
Adelaide
Kennett liked the 7 year rule, the only off-field bloke to last longer at Hawthorn is Clarkson. I like that sort of thinking.

Richard Garvey - board since 2010
Andrew Kaye - 2011

Also Damien Monkhorst - coach since 2010
Damien Carroll via Box Hill since 2010.

There is another 4 people with 7-8 years at the club.

Marco Bello was even a playing coach at Box Hill since 2008.

I wish we'd have a leadership spill.

Currently it's like when vomit gets left on the carpet for too long and has become fossilized and impossible to remove.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pack up the boots, shorts and guernsey Rob, you have more than overstayed your welcome.

Next Gen Rookie

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2017
Hiding in Bacon8's roofspace
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting that Rooch just runs a story about who would want to be a President...

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/c51a091ddb0b6e593c20ad4366a7b35e

upload_2018-8-22_14-50-14.png

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Richard Garvey - board since 2010
Andrew Kaye - 2011

Also Damien Monkhorst - coach since 2010
Damien Carroll via Box Hill since 2010.

There is another 4 people with 7-8 years at the club.

Marco Bello was even a playing coach at Box Hill since 2008.
Coaches are interesting cases, if they do a good job then they stay, but who decides that ??

Back