Opinion It’s time for Rob Chapman to * off

Should Rob Chapman stay?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Which AFL clubs do have this already?

Im not a member of any others so im unaware who does or doesnt.

From my understanding, every Victorian club has it and every SANFL club has it written into their constitution.

It’s only the modern day AFL clubs (Gold Coast, GWS, Crows, Port) who have not written it into their constitution and are saying its the way the AFL would prefer clubs governance their club.

Sticks and stones?

Is it that bad of an insult?

I certainly don't understand why you would be so getting upset over it Jen?
Because people seem to think they can behave however they like while hiding behind a keyboard and screen. Because there is no such thing as free speech without consequence. These people that get constantly vilified and denigrated in here are REAL people. Someone's son, brother, father, husband, friend. If you wouldn't say it to their face, you shouldn't be saying it in here. And if you would say it to their face, it says an awful lot about you. (You generally, not you specifically).

She is prolific. macca23 will be a gentlemen, but he will endorse this. Funny story, sister is the eldest and is prolific, brother is the second eldest and has been equally prolific. Then there's me, and you can count the amount of chicks that I've shagged on 1 hand, despite being the best looking of the 3. Ask macca about his interlude with a certain legend's daughter a few moons ago. I doubt that he'll post it for everyone, but certain well respected posters might get a PM. So, if you know any of those, they might be able to forward it to you.

Geez Matty, you can't expect me to comment further on any of the above - other than to say I didn't spot anything incorrect. ;)

Because people seem to think they can behave however they like while hiding behind a keyboard and screen. Because there is no such thing as free speech without consequence. These people that get constantly vilified and denigrated in here are REAL people. Someone's son, brother, father, husband, friend. If you wouldn't say it to their face, you shouldn't be saying it in here. And if you would say it to their face, it says an awful lot about you. (You generally, not you specifically).
I understand what you are pointing out here Jen - but it also needs some context (like all insults)

It's a post on a forum to a chairman of a footy club that contains nothing more than a weak poke. I would not think that "spineless weasel" would upset anyone in any serious way ... unless of course it had some truth to it. Vilification is a problem when it is based in race, colour, gender, sexual preference, nationality, ethnicity, religion ... not so much when the message is based in the way someone has managed a footy club in the eyes of a single supporter.

I'd say the combination of who it came from - where it was delivered - who it was delivered to - the possible impact - lessens the issue a fair bit.

I would have no doubt that Rob could handle this sort of comment from a random person to his face with aplomb. Could be wrong, maybe it would send him into a spiral of self-doubt ... but I think it is a "feather weight" type of insult.

So all it does is serve as a spur-of-the-moment indicator of fan frustration towards Rob. Could it be put better? Sure. Is it going to cause harm? I don't think so.

I understand what you are pointing out here Jen - but it also needs some context (like all insults)

It's a post on a forum to a chairman of a footy club that contains nothing more than a weak poke. I would not think that "spineless weasel" would upset anyone in any serious way ... unless of course it had some truth to it. Vilification is a problem when it is based in race, colour, gender, sexual preference, nationality, ethnicity, religion ... not so much when the message is based in the way someone has managed a footy club in the eyes of a single supporter.

I'd say the combination of who it came from - where it was delivered - who it was delivered to - the possible impact - lessens the issue a fair bit.

I would have no doubt that Rob could handle this sort of comment from a random person to his face with aplomb. Could be wrong, maybe it would send him into a spiral of self-doubt ... but I think it is a "feather weight" type of insult.

So all it does is serve as a spur-of-the-moment indicator of fan frustration towards Rob. Could it be put better? Sure. Is it going to cause harm? I don't think so.
Curtly Hampton quit footy... and his treatment on social media was a part of the problem. Now an immediate reaction from some would be “well he should harden the * up” but as Don Pyke said, these young men find it hard to delineate between the comments made about them the player, as opposed to them the person. You get one person calling you a “spineless weasel” and then all the other tough guy keyboard warriors start chiming in with their two cents worth and before you know it, it seems the whole world is against you. This is how modern day bullying starts. This is why suicide and self harm are on the increase. Sure Chappie is a tough old bugger, and it would probably be water off a ducks back, but you never know what else he’s had heaped on him... some little thing could just be the straw that broke the camels back. I guess what I’m trying to say is... nobody knows anyone else’s story. It’s about being mindful about the messages you put out. I get people are pissed off... fair enough too. But there are ways and ways of displaying that. I’ve put my two penneth worth in, without an insult in sight. I think it’s time for him to go, I’ve said as much, and no harm was done. It CAN be done... people just need to think before they type.

Curtly Hampton quit footy... and his treatment on social media was a part of the problem. Now an immediate reaction from some would be “well he should harden the **** up” but as Don Pyke said, these young men find it hard to delineate between the comments made about them the player, as opposed to them the person. You get one person calling you a “spineless weasel” and then all the other tough guy keyboard warriors start chiming in with their two cents worth and before you know it, it seems the whole world is against you. This is how modern day bullying starts. This is why suicide and self harm are on the increase. Sure Chappie is a tough old bugger, and it would probably be water off a ducks back, but you never know what else he’s had heaped on him... some little thing could just be the straw that broke the camels back. I guess what I’m trying to say is... nobody knows anyone else’s story. It’s about being mindful about the messages you put out. I get people are pissed off... fair enough too. But there are ways and ways of displaying that. I’ve put my two penneth worth in, without an insult in sight. I think it’s time for him to go, I’ve said as much, and no harm was done. It CAN be done... people just need to think before they type.
Yep, you never know. You calling that poster's post "this s**t" might be enough.

So if we want to get to a society where no-one has the smallest possibility of taking offence to anything that is communicated, we might as well shut down all forms of communication.

There needs to be a modicum of sense applied to everything, for me:

Vilification on any medium - not ok.
Childish name calling on an online forum - easy to ignore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still the most pertinent point
It is because how else can there be change? We can’t do jack s**t. We’ve got a bunch of very comfortable board members who keep extending their tenure include our dud chairman. They are all mates with cushy gigs in the biggest club in town, what a dream, why would they want to rock the boat?

Who was that member elect? Has he had any interaction with the members since?

Well sure, they take their extended families to holidays in far far away lands on the back of unicorns and flying carpets

But what’s the relevance here?

I’d suggest the only real potential lurk would be something along the lines of a study trip. Probably get over
half of you and your partner’s $20k holiday paid for by the club by organising some meetings and facility inspections etc. Doubt it happens at the AFC, but I know that personal holidays have been paid for as study trips at both local and NT government level.

He works for the law firm the Crows use doesn't he? It's not like he was a total outsider, he's in the network too.
This was floated before the election and shown to be wrong.

Have you made the effort to find out his email address and sent him an email?

Probably better to wait until he has phoned you and our other 70,000 members to ask you what you think.

It is because how else can there be change? We can’t do jack s**t. We’ve got a bunch of very comfortable board members who keep extending their tenure include our dud chairman. They are all mates with cushy gigs in the biggest club in town, what a dream, why would they want to rock the boat?

Who was that member elect? Has he had any interaction with the members since?

Kym Ryder

Back