It’s time to abolish restricted free agency compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

kreuze_missile

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Jun 9, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Restricted free agency compensation is a poorly thought out concept unlike anything else in professional sport.

There’s no logical reason to reward clubs who choose not to match market value contracts. NONE.

The AFL’s mysterious compensation further adds to the stupidity of the system.

Prime example right now is Ben McKay.

North Melbourne are essentially being incentivised by the AFL to not retain a best 22 player.

If the AFL wants equalisation don’t reward clubs for choosing to get worse.

For that to happen, there will have to be rules that allow more free agents in the market, rules that prohibit clubs to alter contract lengths of players to spread out money, something like trading picks for cap space etc.

Right now it's another mechanism for clubs, specially rebuilding clubs to get a another high draft pick.

Restricted free agency compensation is a poorly thought out concept unlike anything else in professional sport.

There’s no logical reason to reward clubs who choose not to match market value contracts. NONE.

The AFL’s mysterious compensation further adds to the stupidity of the system.

Prime example right now is Ben McKay.

North Melbourne are essentially being incentivised by the AFL to not retain a best 22 player.

If the AFL wants equalisation don’t reward clubs for choosing to get worse.

But they won't get worse with pick 3?

But they won't get worse with pick 3?

They will in the short term.

The reality is, clubs are rewarded for not being able to/ choosing to retain a player - compensated for what they have failed to achieve (re-signing someone they want) or simply chosen not to. It’s ridiculous and does nothing but reward failure or simple list management.

Yeah it's the randomness of the compensation that's really annoying. Pick 3 for McKay who's played something like 60 games in 8 yrs. Doesn't seem right. But the AFL is very unique with homesickness within the league as well doesn't happen anywhere else.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

Yeah it's the randomness of the compensation that's really annoying. Pick 3 for McKay who's played something like 60 games in 8 yrs. Doesn't seem right. But the AFL is very unique with homesickness within the league as well doesn't happen anywhere else.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

Yeah Adren Street is literally miles away from Windy Hill

It stops teams from using it too, example being when dangerfield had to get traded as Adelaide warned the cats they would match their compo or gws with Jeremy Cameron, but those scenarios barely come up.
If there was no compo like in the nba where clubs will always match to force a trade different story, but struggling teams in the past (Melbourne with frawley, gc with Tom Lynch and now north with McKay) will always use this as it’s solid compensation for the scenario they were in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All free agency compensation is bogus in my opinion. Why do the 16 other clubs need to be punished for a transaction between 2 teams, by way of a draft pick appearing out of thin air? Not only that, it's open to manipulation by one or both of the clubs involved.

Make free agency a zero sum game, right now its not.

All free agency compensation is bogus in my opinion. Why do the 16 other clubs need to be punished for a transaction between 2 teams, by way of a draft pick appearing out of thin air? Not only that, it's open to manipulation by one or both of the clubs involved.

This is a such a valid point - every deal done in free agency ultimately punishes the 16 clubs that aren't involved.

Once you factor in FA compensation, father sons and "special assistance packages", each club's draft hand gets so diluted that rebuilding through the draft might not even be a viable path to prosperity anymore.

This is a such a valid point - every deal done in free agency ultimately punishes the 16 clubs that aren't involved.

Once you factor in FA compensation, father sons and "special assistance packages", each club's draft hand gets so diluted that rebuilding through the draft might not even be a viable path to prosperity anymore.
I will say that at least father-son and academy picks have a points system which somewhat attempts to balance the gain to the team bid matching, although it's far perfect and the 20% discount given is one of the more ridiculous things in the AFL. Either way they compromise the draft, as FA compo and priority picks do also. All of it stinks, as much as I like seeing father-son selections run around at their old man's clubs.

Make the compensation come from the recipient club. I.e. some points value transfers

If West Coast and North were to align all player contracts to finish at the end of 2025, then in free agency completely switched lists, would they end up with the first 70 picks in the draft?

That's the illogical conclusion that would eventuate if two clubs game theoried the whole thing...right?

If West Coast and North were to align all player contracts to finish at the end of 2025, then in free agency completely switched lists, would they end up with the first 70 picks in the draft?

That's the illogical conclusion that would eventuate if two clubs game theoried the whole thing...right?
No because you lose the compensation if you bring in a free agent. So in your suggestion they swapping of players would negate the compensation picks from occurring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back