It’s time to re-define OOB.

Remove this Banner Ad

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
20F4449A-3CBF-4D25-8B61-7B2FAA36EB4F.jpeg 21DB5B61-EAAD-40CC-A671-D9D99D27C81C.jpeg

Change it so that it is closer to basketball, where the ball is not OOB until it or player touching it is OOB.

This far simpler and less open to interpretation/error.

In the photos above OOB is called on Robbie Gray as he has possession of the ball and is over the boundary, even if the ball isn’t. And possibly the most famous of all... Wayne Harmes is not OOB as he has not been grounded OOB and neither has the ball.

For OOB on the full if a player can launch from inside the line and touch the ball before he hits the ground and the ball hits the ground then it’s a boundary throw-in. Likewise if he launches inside, marks the ball and lands outside the boundary.

Last edited:
View attachment 1098613View attachment 1098614Change it so that it is closer to basketball, where the ball is not OOB until it or player touching it is OOB.

This far simpler and less open to interpretation/error.

In the photos above OOB is called on Robbie Gray as he has possession of the ball and is over the boundary, even if the ball isn’t. And possibly the most famous of all... Wayne Harmes is not OOB as he has not been grounded OOB and neither has the ball.

For OOB on the full if a player can launch from inside the line and touch the ball before he hits the ground and the ball hits the ground then it’s a boundary throw-in. Likewise if he launches inside, marks the ball and lands outside the boundary.
For the sake of one decision a month I'd say leave it as it is. We'd lose all those great plays where players run around the boundary, arm outstretched keeping the ball in to then slot a goal from the pocket.

Better to try and introduce tech in the game to judge where the ball is at all time. Hawkeye or something similar.

For the sake of one decision a month I'd say leave it as it is. We'd lose all those great plays where players run around the boundary, arm outstretched keeping the ball in to then slot a goal from the pocket.

Better to try and introduce tech in the game to judge where the ball is at all time. Hawkeye or something similar.
Despite this whole thread being started by a salty Tigers fan with two images that don't actually show a ball being out of play...

You'd gain things like players jumping from within the boundary line to try and punch the ball back into play.

Despite this whole thread being started by a salty Tigers fan with two images that don't actually show a ball being out of play...

You'd gain things like players jumping from within the boundary line to try and punch the ball back into play.
Thanks for your support Duckimus. I’m really salty. Tears of joy after watching the 2020 prelim... again.

Just a tip... win the war, not the battle.

P.S. did you ever find that evidence that I tore you a new one over?

Thanks for your support Duckimus. I’m really salty.
Glad you can admit it.

P.S. did you ever find that evidence that I tore you a new one over?
Yeah its in Channel 7's archives of unbroadcast camera angles. I'll let you know when they release it publicly.

I mean, you are relying on a claim that Tom Lynch isn't a flog to back up your position over an eye witness report.

See I was never making a claim, just providing evidence in the form of an eye-witness report.

Glad you can admit it.

Yeah its in Channel 7's archives of unbroadcast camera angles. I'll let you know when they release it publicly.

I mean, you are relying on a claim that Tom Lynch isn't a flog to back up your position over an eye witness report.

See I was never making a claim, just providing evidence in the form of an eye-witness report.
Oh Duckimus... sounds like you’ve given up. Surely there is something contemporaneous in the three game day threads... Port’s, Richmond’s or the main board thread. Maybe another forum. Surely something in the media. There’s not even another Port fan to back you up... guess they were all looking at where Duursma shot his arrow. Maybe the evidence you seek is hidden under a Port tarp somewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back