Competition It came from Corporate - Round 4 - Superheroes and Villains

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Background

In this horror tale, it's the far-off year of 2021 and something very peculiar has happened - all of our football teams have disappeared!

With the football season fast-approaching and the AFL running out of options they have turned to the corporate world to relaunch and re-imagine the league.

Week4_Superheroes.png

Newly elected CEO Fancyscum has... eh..what's this? fancyscum has ripped open his shirt to reveal his true colours, it's SUPER FANCYSCUM!

Hero to the downtrodden, wiper of browser history, maker of sandwiches and all round good dude.

Considering how successful comics and superhero franchises have been in recent years, this week the comp is taking a slightly different turn, with a focus on SUPERHEROES and VILLAINS as a brand.

Also, please pay attention to some new rules specific to this round only.

Rules
  1. You must choose a brand based on this week's topic.
  2. You must design a full AFL kit based on this brand.
  3. Entries must include home, away and clash kit, and a 4th kit with an optional 5th if you desire. Each requiring a jersey and shorts (socks optional).
  4. You can choose to do one hero/villain, or choose to do a team (for example).
  5. You must stay within your comic/hero brand. i.e. If you choose a Marvel character for the home, you cannot choose a DC character for the Away, etc.
  6. In this particular round, the brand logo can be the superhero/villain logo, or it can be the comic brand.
  7. The brand logo must be on the traditional right pocket, opposite the AFL logo.
  8. The designs must embody the design language used by the brand (i.e. colours, history, etc).
  9. You have a week from today to submit your design to this thread.
  10. Any questions, ask!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Bumping this, the world is going a bit crazy right now (my work just announced working from home semi-permanently). Anyone who wants to submit an entry, go ahead :) I will try to in amongst cleaning my old place!

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Hey guys, unfortunately I will be shutting down this comp. This round only received one entry that met the round criteria so this round is awarded to just_kick_it by default.

I would like to thank anyone who did enter and am disappointed but can appreciate the comp was a bit different and it just didn't get traction/was the wrong time to launch it.

May 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hey guys, unfortunately I will be shutting down this comp. This round only received one entry that met the round criteria so this round is awarded to just_kick_it by default.

I would like to thank anyone who did enter and am disappointed but can appreciate the comp was a bit different and it just didn't get traction/was the wrong time to launch it.
Im a bit disappointed that this comp isnt continuing I did really enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'd urge you to continue, but make some changes to the way it runs to get more people interested. Personally, while I competed in a couple of rounds, there were another couple that I didn't for a couple of reasons.

This round, I really would have loved to enter, but I was put off by the requirement for 4 kits without being able to do a recolour in there, I couldn't get four cohesive kits going for a single character/comic book. It simply meant that it was too much work for me in a weekly comp, I would assume that if it was too much for an experienced designer like me, a lot of the newer posters here would have found it a bit too daunting too. If I were to make completely original designs for each guernsey (which I think is a good stipulation to have btw) then I'd say 2 or perhaps 3 guernseys is really the max I would expect for a competition with a week turnaround.

The other round that struggled for entries was the Australian Spirits round which was really just too niche I'd say to make a good round out of. Personally, I couldn't think of a single brand off the top of my head in that area besides Bundaberg which Cannavo had already hit out of the park, so I didn't really feel excited to enter.

The mobile phone and fast food brand rounds had really great some of the best interest and overall quality of entries we have seen in a weekly comp on here for a while, so I would say that you are wrong to say this comp did not get traction and this is certainly not the wrong time of year to get a competition up and running! Running a comp comes with a bit of a learning curve so I implore you to not get discouraged and to just take weeks like this as a learning opportunity :)

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
I would also say to continue, but drop the kit requirement limit to 1 or 2 (best option would be 1 with optional second/additional kits).

Not every competition has to have a home and away kit designed for it and this is certainly one that could do with less.

Quick comps mean smaller design requirements. If people want to do more then let them but don’t force them into it. A good example of this was years ago with the KOTW comp where most of the time it was one design, but for 1 round I put together something like 17 kits in one image, it wasn’t required but it met the brief.

Back