It is only February but we already have a BOTY

Remove this Banner Ad

sonnywalters

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2014
Newcastle NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
Easton Wood for saying what needs to be said.

More players should speak out and stop agreeing with AFL HQ just for the extra cash.
Gambling advertising is a massive blight on the game.
The game has survived and flourished for 130 years without this crap. We dont need it.
And I dont buy the 'better in the tent' argument either. That is self serving by AFL white collar greedy who flogs should understand they are custodians of the people's game. They arent hotshot capitalists. It is the game making money - not their 'business smarts'.

There are 15 people in Admin positions at the AFL on over $400k salaries.

A Labradoodle could be CEO of the AFL and the AFL would still make billions of dollars because it is a monopoly business and a cultural treasure. It was that way before any of these current administrators were even born and would be still pulling in billions if all of them had not existed at all.

Rant over my friends, but that is why Easton Wood is my BOTY.

To be clear I don't mind gambling on sport but I do object to the advertising - especially during the coverage of a live game. This is crap. People can gamble themselves silly but the fans, tv and radio broadcasts, kids and the comp does not need the crappy non stop advertising.

Last edited:
I bet Easton will be at the AFLPA meeting with the rest of the players threatening a strike if they don't get another pay rise.

Will he take a pay cut if clubs and the AFL turn away from gambling?

Highly doubt it.

I bet Easton will be at the AFLPA meeting with the rest of the players threatening a strike if they don't get another pay rise.

Highly doubt it.

The pigs at AFL house should take a 50% pay cut.

The players deserve it, not the flogs on the gravy train.

Highly doubt it.

Surely the issue on the pay front is how revenue from the game is spent?
Are you saying gambling is the major revenue source?
What about how much money goes back to grass roots?
What % of revenue is spent on Administrators?
What is normal for sports?

I would say that the BOTY would consider all these factors and if the AFL opened up their finances to scrutiny then the BOTY probably would take a pay cut if gambling revenues were removed from the pie.
As long as the administrators also took cuts.

Double-edged sword. I believe the AFL for once when they say they've taken a stake in it so they can get some visibility about where the cash is flowing. I don't think they need the revenue, but the alternative is to force it underground and make it far more difficult to detect anything dodgy.

:rolleyes:

The 'fat cats' are the tip of the iceberg at AFL House. There really aren't that many people employed by the AFL.

As for gambling revenue, well, I'm just as big about not having it advertised, but the league isn't the biggest problem anymore. While I agree that the AFL itself should not be involved directly in gambling (including via sponsorship), that doesn't stop the 18 clubs from getting involved in the pokies etc. And even if you manage to stop that, it doesn't stop the media from having gambling advertisements - such as Sportsbet with SEN, TFS's partners and pregame odds on 7.

And a flat ban could be challenged in the courts by the gaming businesses anyway.

Why?
Because the AFL are unable to control themselves and require government intervention?
The NFL self regulate on this issue why cant our flogs do the same?
It wasnt coles, 7/11 and Woolworths who decided one day to stop letting tobacco companies advertise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a drug and alcohol/addiction counsllor in WA

GAMBLING PROBLEMS are a sleeping giant and the AFL has enabled this problem to get worse

Educating players yet flooding the community with gambling adds is so darn hypocritical it's a joke

Go,and sit with families destroyed by a person who had gambled away 50,000 and youlll see the trail of destruction ...ffs Judd said it two years ago in his article too and has been very outspoken on this issue

The research tellls is that advertising affatecs junk food consumption, alcohol and gambling levels

Yet who are the biggest sponsors in the afl ....beer companies, gambling and junk food ...

The AFL IS THE WORST COMMUNITY ROLE MODEL RIGHT NOW BAR NONE ....

Hell yes...

Great call, Easton! On ya for speaking out.

It's turned into a ******* joke, you can't get away from the gambling crap, it has infiltrated everything 'footy'. Corrupt as fk, and it's a powerful beast, just like alcohol.

A ******* good lad, that Easton.

Corrupt eh, ask one of your teachers to look it up for you, or your Mum ...

Are you dinkum?

100%.

If all those turkeys had to re-apply for their jobs on half their current wage, the AFL would find suitable replacements for those that resigned and every facet of AFL life would remain the same.

We could pay Gil a consulting fee to assist in negotiating a new TV deal if that was an issue.

Working for the AFL has got to be the easiest job in the world, basically the most inelastic product to sell in Australia.

Bunch of piss takers, taking helicopters to race meetings, $1m+ salaries for a 6 month job in a business that runs itself.

Whilst clubs and players are hideously underpaid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back