It is only February but we already have a BOTY

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it would be very unpopular. I have no idea what this has to do with my point about protecting children being more important than taking the moral high ground against their parents.

It's the same thing, if you want to protect children and that's the most important thing then alcohol is a far bigger target than gambling.

I wonder how many anti-gambling people love a drink. And how many of those people would change their tunes once someone said to ban something they like.

It's the same thing, if you want to protect children and that's the most important thing then alcohol is a far bigger target than gambling.

I wonder how many anti-gambling people love a drink. And how many of those people would change their tunes once someone said to ban something they like.

It doesn't look like you're going to engage with my actual point, so I'll just repeat that I would support an alcohol ban at the footy and we'll leave it at that, shall we?

It is their fault. Who else's fault is it?

False equivalence right there.

I'm s**t canning the ones who don't take the time to educate their kids. They deserve to be s**t canned.

It's not false equivalence. As a society we have decided that certain activities are potentially dangerous for kids and have made laws regulating them - like sex, legal drugs (alcohol and cigarettes) and gambling. Gambling is the only 'product' out of those that appears unrestricted in its advertising.

Advertisers pay truckloads of money to sell their product to today's customers and tomorrow's. It works, otherwise why would they spend the money?

You must be a very confident person to think that your wise counsel dominates your child's thinking and that gambling advertising is having no effect on your kids either directly or indirectly via peer group pressure.

Gambling and football have gone together since the day T.S.Wills thought it might be a lark to run around after a pigs bladder. It seems more prominent now, because it is out there, rather than being dealt with in back alleys or having thugs like John Wren deal the odds. Its pure fantasy to say that gambling can be stopped by banning legal avenues. It may leave a sour taste, but there is saying about keeping your friends close and your enemies closer.

What? The AFL employs thousands of people.
The AFL generally does - when you include the clubs and the players and such.

The actual administration? Not that big. Think it'd be lucky to be 250 people in Melbourne, and in the dozens in NSW and QLD. They run a really tight ship.

I wonder what he thinks about the clubs that bring in revenue from pokies.
Pokies are a bit different to sports betting, aren't they? For as long as I remember everyone is taught growing up how bad the pokies are. Not so much with sports betting.

Plus, he's talking more about the ads than the actual betting.

Aside from the obvious ethical implications, gambling promotions compromise the quality of the broadcasts themselves. Instead of talking about the actual game you have ******* idiots like BT telling me who punters think is going to kick the first goal.

It seems more prominent now, because it is out there, rather than being dealt with in back alleys or having thugs like John Wren deal the odds. Its pure fantasy to say that gambling can be stopped by banning legal avenues.
Who said it should be banned?

I just don't want to see horse races broadcast at mobile betting outlets outside the MCG on gameday, sportsbet advertisements during every commercial break and gambling odds masquerading as journalism.

Last edited:
Pokies are a bit different to sports betting, aren't they? For as long as I remember everyone is taught growing up how bad the pokies are. Not so much with sports betting.

Plus, he's talking more about the ads than the actual betting.

Billions upon billions more are blown on pokies than sports betting, so maybe the "what everybody is taught growing up" isn't entirely relevant in the area of gambling.

The problem with a stance on gambling is it's a values-based one. Which is ok if that's what the league believes. But what do they believe on alcohol? Sport and alcohol advertising links have been around forever and as a result the two are completely intertwined.

Alcohol is responsible for far more damage than sports betting. It's off the charts.

What about fast food, which is packed with sugar and fat and shoved in kids faces at every ad break? It's shocking for kids.

Does the AFL walk away from that advertising?

Appointing yourself a moral arbiter is a slippery, slippery slope. At what point do you just obey laws, act in your organisations interests, and trust parents to raise their kids?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billions upon billions more are blown on pokies than sports betting, so maybe the "what everybody is taught growing up" isn't entirely relevant in the area of gambling.

The problem with a stance on gambling is it's a values-based one. Which is ok if that's what the league believes. But what do they believe on alcohol? Sport and alcohol advertising links have been around forever and as a result the two are completely intertwined.

Alcohol is responsible for far more damage than sports betting. It's off the charts.

What about fast food, which is packed with sugar and fat and shoved in kids faces at every ad break? It's shocking for kids.

Does the AFL walk away from that advertising?

Appointing yourself a moral arbiter is a slippery, slippery slope. At what point do you just obey laws, act in your organisations interests, and trust parents to raise their kids?
It's a completely different demographic, though. I'm not defending the pokies at all as I think they're the biggest waste of money every, but when you go to an RSL who do you see playing them? 90% of the time it's old people. Which is very sad, but that's not what the whole issue is IMO.

The issue is young kids who are getting into betting. Even when I was at school there was a guy who would write up odds and and take bets, that was in a year 8 class.

Fast food an alcohol are completely different issues I believe.

100%.

If all those turkeys had to re-apply for their jobs on half their current wage, the AFL would find suitable replacements for those that resigned and every facet of AFL life would remain the same.

We could pay Gil a consulting fee to assist in negotiating a new TV deal if that was an issue.

Working for the AFL has got to be the easiest job in the world, basically the most inelastic product to sell in Australia.

Bunch of piss takers, taking helicopters to race meetings, $1m+ salaries for a 6 month job in a business that runs itself.

Whilst clubs and players are hideously underpaid.

lol I mean seriously. lol.

Point of clarification: I (and I suspect the majority on here) are not against gambling. What pisses me off is advertising and nomalising of gambling through the use of sport. As others have said, when young children talk about games using odds as an indicator of who will win, then we have gone too far and time to pull back.

The AFL generally does - when you include the clubs and the players and such.

The actual administration? Not that big. Think it'd be lucky to be 250 people in Melbourne, and in the dozens in NSW and QLD. They run a really tight ship.

As of 2013, the AFL’s workforce was made up of 660 permanent employees and several hundred casuals.
That's the AFL directly, not clubs and players, etc.

Point of clarification: I (and I suspect the majority on here) are not against gambling. What pisses me off is advertising and nomalising of gambling through the use of sport. As others have said, when young children talk about games using odds as an indicator of who will win, then we have gone too far and time to pull back.
I hear you - normalisation of certain endeavours that can become habit-forming and injurious to health or financial well-being is problematic.

I am not sure as to how else people could measure the expected/predicted outcomes of games other than using odds, which used to be expressed as ratios and now are in dollar terms.

Do we go back to ratios? That is, removing the direct association with money?

As of 2013, the AFL’s workforce was made up of 660 permanent employees and several hundred casuals.
That's the AFL directly, not clubs and players, etc.
Does that include AFL media and the umpires department? You're talking at least 100-150 there.

Also, that's Aus-wide, so it's still pretty low.

For those who don't know what BOTY means, trusty urban dictionary defines it as:

The term BOTY is an acryonym for Black Out of The Year Award. This award is symbolic of a person blacking out from an exhorbitant amount of booze. Their body is usually found in a ditch, gutter, or in the backseat of a random's car. In order to receive this utmost prestigious award you have to be able to forget everything that occurred. A true blackout. A person's BAC level is required to be at a 0.25 or higher. And the subject must submit to a breathalyzer to verify that they are boty'd out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back