Media It Is Time - SFA Draft

Should the SFA introduce an all in draft at the end of each season to spread talent?

• Total voters
Hello fellow SFA’ers!

Now I understand that most of you know me for being a poster who does not take things too seriously, is incredibly good looking, loves a drink, hot women and Scattergories. Most of my threads are never serious even though they are all wildly successful internet monsters.

Today it is a different TL15 that stands naked before you (this has nothing to do with this thread rather it is just something I like doing) with an idea instead of an erection.

With the reintroduction of the SFA’s greatest shock jock, BRAB and some of the ripping work he has put together in the last week to get tongues wagging one element has stood out to me. There are struggling clubs out there who are unable to attract talented posters and even if they do the battle to keep them is difficult. I saw a post from Doctor Gero (it is okay I know he is not a real doctor) about the struggles of attraction and retention in this fantasy forum. Many clubs, although they would be reluctant to admit it are insular by nature and feel what they do is the best.

So my idea is simple, we introduce a draft at the end of every season. All the posters in the SFA are lined up against the wall and the Captains get to pick based on ladder position on a rotating basis until all lists are full. This would get every club a greater nucleus of active talent and also create some fun and intrigue going into every season. Rivals one season become team mates the next.....who wouldn’t give their hot grandma to line up alongside Tony Lynn 15.

So it is now over to you, the good folk of the SFA. I would love to hear from the Captain’s to get their feedback, cats2rise Ant Bear fitzroybowiedog Loonerty Hatchy1992 Blaze Storm Golumless haydo Wacky Tiger NaturalDisaster JoshWoodenSpoon Wooshette KohPhi Blacky and Thatsapaddlin. Even Cloud_ is welcome to provide input but most importantly I would like to take the temperature of the rank and file members of the SFA.

Do you feel that having a draft at the end of each season would provide some spice into the SFA and make for a greater spread of talent and enjoyment?

Removing the Gumbies and replacing them with the Serpents is the only way to fix this league

Bigfooty_serpents_logo.png

Do it once to shake up the league. All the teams have become too cliquey.

From there leaders will emerge and we'll have a more equal league.

Good idea comrade Tony.

Mate please don't confuse losing interest with losing concentration!
I'm so poor I can't pay attention.

On a side note. You don't need to go to all this trouble. Shoot cats2rise a PM and just tell him straight you want to play alongside Yakker at the Demons. Saves all this hassle. We will save you the locker alongside me.

I would be so loyal to whoever selects me unless I’m selected last then I would just retire

Oh come on mate stop being so modest as if you would be selected last....actually if you need any help writing your retirement thread just PM me.

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
All the posters in the SFA are lined up against the wall and the Captains get to pick based on ladder position on a rotating basis until all lists are full.
I presume this idea puts the kibosh on free agency. So, just the captain? What about teams that have co-captains? What about the long serving vice-captains or leadership group members?

What if you had said draft but could 'protect' a certain number of players ensuring a clubs' core stays together?

What if you end up drafted into a squad that contains a poster you detest and this subsequently kills your interest in the SFA?

What about the 'placeholder' club greats? Given the amount of inactives each team carries wouldn't be easier to fold 2 clubs, delist all the inactives and hold a redistribution draft for those remaining players?

I presume this idea puts the kibosh on free agency. So, just the captain? What about teams that have co-captains? What about the long serving vice-captains or leadership group members?

What if you had said draft but could 'protect' a certain number of players ensuring a clubs' core stays together?

What if you end up drafted into a squad that contains a poster you detest and this subsequently kills your interest in the SFA?

What about the 'placeholder' club greats? Given the amount of inactives each team carries wouldn't be easier to fold 2 clubs, delist all the inactives and hold a redistribution draft for those remaining players?

Good post and some interesting questions.

If this did go ahead free agency would not be necessary. With co captains and vice captains that would be a challenge but I still think there are plenty of posters who may want the opportunity to be involved at leadership group level and this would allow for that to happen and remain fresh from season to season.

I think for me point two is a major reason why I am proposing this. If we had a rule around keeping the core posters together it defeats the purpose of trying to spread the talent.

With point 3 I think this can happen anyway under the current system, I agree it is less likely but in any given season players can change clubs and you are not always across who is coming in unless you are part of the LG. I also believe it helps break down some barriers. Many of the posters from when I first started that I had run in's with have now become my favourites to come up against because I have got to know them better.

I agree on point 4, perhaps initially any player over a certain amount of games can choose to stay at their club.

Awful idea

If it happens I’ll leave the sfa

To be fair and to ensure the yes vote is not influenced can I ask everybody to only vote based on the OP not the fact that ND will retire if it gets up.

Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
To be fair and to ensure the yes vote is not influenced can I ask everybody to only vote based on the OP not the fact that ND will retire if it gets up.

Seriously, who is going to want to stay if they are forced to play at a club against their will?

Randomising the line up isn't going to win a team a premiership and winning a premiership isn't going to entice people to a club/stay at a club.

Do you think people like Ljp86, who has played 350 games at one club is going to just play for someone else next season??

How are captains nominated and assigned a team? Should the names of all those wanting to be a captain thrown into a hat and chosen at random?

Potentially yes. Perhaps the first step is to have people nominate to be a skipper and then a vote from all to see who the actual captain's are.

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
I think for me point two is a major reason why I am proposing this. If we had a rule around keeping the core posters together it defeats the purpose of trying to spread the talent.
Spitballing; what if that protected number was something like 6? Based of the posting assessment thread each club has at least 7 folks rated as active, which means at the very least a club has one active poster exposed to the draft, right up to 10.

By the same assessment thread there would 70 active players in the draft meaning each club would get shot at 5 - 6 suggesting each list entering the season would have 11-12 active posters made up of a core protected 6, and 5-6 draftees.

Randomising the line up isn't going to win a team a premiership and winning a premiership isn't going to entice people to a club/stay at a club.

Do you think people like Ljp86, who has played 350 games at one club is going to just play for someone else next season??

I think I addressed that above in answering Agent93 question.

My point isn't about the SIM results or winning premierships, it is about having a more even spread of activity and talent at each club.

Spitballing; what if that protected number was something like 6? Based of the posting assessment thread each club has at least 7 folks rated as active, which means at the very least a club has one active poster exposed to the draft, right up to 10.

By the same assessment thread there would 70 active players in the draft meaning each club would get shot at 5 - 6 suggesting each list entering the season would have 11-12 active posters made up of a core protected 6, and 5-6 draftees.

You are actually beginning to make a lot of sense...have you been drinking again?? I don't mind that idea at all.

I think I addressed that above in answering Agent93 question.

My point isn't about the SIM results or winning premierships, it is about having a more even spread of activity and talent at each club.
I just don't like people would react well to being told where they should play. This league has always been about players getting to play wherever they like with whoever they like. If a club is struggling, it's because the posters in that club are either inactive, don't care or don't banter which in turn, doesn't attract people to go and play for that club. Forcing someone to go and play for that club will make them resent the team, the league and eventually they too will become active.

I just don't like people would react well to being told where they should play. This league has always been about players getting to play wherever they like with whoever they like. If a club is struggling, it's because the posters in that club are either inactive, don't care or don't banter which in turn, doesn't attract people to go and play for that club. Forcing someone to go and play for that club will make them resent the team, the league and eventually they too will become active.

You also run the risk of people playing with posters they cannot stand. I know that quite a few players from a certain team were happy to see the back of a certain player when he left, imagine if they were forced to play with this person again?

and no i won't name said team or player.

Both really valid points, this idea is not without potential flaws but for me it is a matter of working out do the potential benefits for the overall league outweigh the negatives.

Back