Opinion It is time we changed the Essendon logo

Call Me Cake

I'll brb
Jun 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
👆This version looks 1000x better!
The current monogram proposed is honestly embarrassingly bad.
I think people are just celebrating change for the sake of change at this point.
I'm glad you like it. I prefer that monogram too.

However I think it should be pointed out that this is a logo change for the anniversary in 2022.

Similar to how Collingwood changed theirs for their 125 year anniversary for 2017 - which provided a segway into their logo of today after some tweaking.

7.jpg
wf3r.png

Port Adelaide did the same for their anniversary, although they made no further changes due to unanimous supporter approval.

Maybe the club will set out a poll in 2023, allowing us to vote for a specific monogram we like most, and then make a couple tweaks, make it more bold, and eventually land on a permanent design. As a starting point I like it. 👍

A.png

Making it actual red would be even nicer I reckon.

Last edited:

Bowakawa

Major Leagues
Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
It grows on me the more I see it. One thing I really like which isn't intentional, but cool nonetheless, is that the flags on the sides kinda resembles the Dimmeys Bombers scarf I've worn my entire life.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I really like the current monogram. It's clean and simple.

One change I'd make moving forward is to make the right flag the same as the left to make it more consistent. I also wouldn't mind removing the flags completely and keeping the crest.

I'd also make the cream coloured banner black with Essendon F.C. in red or the banner red with the writing in black.

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I really like the current monogram. It's clean and simple.

One change I'd make moving forward is to make the right flag the same as the left to make it more consistent. I also wouldn't mind removing the flags completely and keeping the crest.

I'd also make the cream coloured banner black with Essendon F.C. in red or the banner red with the writing in black.
I dont mind the flags being asymmetrical - one is the sash and the other is the scarf 😊 if the sash was on the right it would be back to front 🤔

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I dont mind the flags being asymmetrical - one is the sash and the other is the scarf 😊 if the sash was on the right it would be back to front 🤔
I think one of our other logos had one sash the right way and the other sash back to front. So maybe something like that!

I really like the current one though so it's only a minor change.

Shane Heard

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree…the left is like the jumper a d right is like the stripe scarfs we all like wear. Very understated too.

Looks awesome 👌

Call Me Cake

I'll brb
Jun 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
So I did some tweaking. With the first one, I rearranged the stripes, so that the first stripe on the right appears after the black. I did this to see if it would outline the badge better or help it look more "symmetrical". Then, for the fun of it, I changed the left to resemble the right.

03.png
02b.png

Last edited:

Call Me Cake

I'll brb
Jun 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Nah, makes me a bit uncomfortable to be honest.

I get that it was chosen during a different time, and it probably represented national strength, but it is what it is - a "bomber" plane used to kill other humans.
I understand your concern, but I feel you're reading too much into it. There are a lot of vague meanings behind a name like Bombers. Bombers, or military aircraft, aren't just used to "kill people", they are an integral part of defense. It isn't a "different time" - airborne defense is more important now than the ground-combat times of yesteryear. Like it or not, airborne defense is a factor of reality and it is here to stay for a long time.

Also, nicknames for sporting teams take on different meanings over time. For example, with Bombers, you imagine it representing a team that is relentless in it's impact.

Same with Giants - who, if were real - would not be going a day without stepping on us. There is nothing self-defense about them.

Or Demons? Are you going to look at it as literal as Bombers and consider it an ode to satanic worship?

Or, let's go international. Arsenal... known as the "Gunners" who have a cannon gun on their logo. Those aren't exactly shooting out daisies.

Some things are just not meant to be that read into, and you only see what you want to see. There are multiple sides to everything.

Last edited:

DERO

Formerly "dero"
Jan 22, 2013
TBC
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Mitcham FC

I get that it was chosen during a different time, and it probably represented national strength, but it is what it is - a "bomber" plane used to kill other humans.
i figured you were referring to the new logo and the spiky looking wheelchair.

Stopher

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I understand your concern, but I feel you're reading too much into it. There are a lot of vague meanings behind a name like Bombers. Bombers, or military aircraft, aren't just used to "kill people", they are an integral part of defense. It isn't a "different time" - airborne defense is more important now than the ground-combat times of yesteryear. Like it or not, airborne defense is a factor of reality and it is here to stay for a long time.

Also, nicknames for sporting teams take on different meanings over time. For example, with Bombers, you imagine it representing a team that is relentless in it's impact.

Same with Giants - who, if were real - would not be going a day without stepping on us. There is nothing self-defense about them.

Or Demons? Are you going to look at it as literal as Bombers and consider it an ode to satanic worship?

Or, let's go international. Arsenal... known as the "Gunners" who have a cannon gun on their logo. Those aren't exactly shooting out daisies.

Some things are just not meant to be that read into, and you only see what you want to see. There are multiple sides to everything.
I don't think the Raiders / Vikings monikers are to represent travelling groups that go from town to town picking flowers, either.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Do I have anyone with me on the whole "get rid of the war/death machine" yet?
Nope. It depends on the frame through which you view it. Australia manufactured Beaufort bombers during WW2. That wasn't because we had devastating imperial ambitions looking north, it was because we felt we'd need them to defend against Japan.
Should the Suns change theirs because skin cancer and global warming?
I get your concern, but I think you're reading too much into it. Planes are cool.

Dave

Premium Platinum
Feb 8, 2000
Windy Hill
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Nope. It depends on the frame through which you view it. Australia manufactured Beaufort bombers during WW2. That wasn't because we had devastating imperial ambitions looking north, it was because we felt we'd need them to defend against Japan.
Should the Suns change theirs because skin cancer and global warming?
I get your concern, but I think you're reading too much into it. Planes are cool.
Plenty of humans eaten by lions, tigers and bears too....oh my!!

bomberlegend2007

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon

Blues can linked with the feeling of depression, therefore, could link towards self harm or death.

We could seriously play this game with the 16 other clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad