General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

I didn't respond to the Gunners thing because my thoughts on that would be obvious.

Demons aren't real things, so I have no issue with that, just as I wouldn't if someone were the Trolls.

I'm happy to stop posting in this thread until the next opportunity in a year or two.
i’m with you man.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
The glaringly obvious difference is animals and the weather are nature - they both exist, and as a product of existing they create good and bad. The sun creates life and can also cause skin cancer with too much exposure.

Bomber planes are designed for one thing - destruction. Death. Yes they were designed for winning a war and defending our country, but they have no intention other than destruction. To compare them to the sun or animals is reductive and disingenuous.

I've been banging this drum for years and sadly not many on here seem to share that view. Oh well, I hope one day this will change and people will look back and ask "why did they ever use something so blatantly inappropriate?"

Until then, go BOMBERS!!!!!

Well I like watching the final qrt of the 84’ GF when total destruction rained down on Hawthorn relentlessly at the Punt rd end causing catastrophic damage to the enemy.

And then again the next year when it was like we nuked them with an A bomb and levelled and destroyed every living brown and gold creature on the battlefield.

Bombers forever.

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
How could anyone not love this.

Good to finally have a more higher-res version of it. Still think it could be much more polished and bold though.

View attachment 1239930

It's growing on me.
I really like it, but the more I look at it the more I very much dislike the dark grey/pink aspects. Most unnecessary and strange

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
Dark grey and pink? Not seeing that at all. Some people seriously see yellow as aqua though. That's a thing.
the right hand side of the shield has a lighter shade of colour. I get layering and texture but the left side is quite dull as it is, so the contrast of the right side is lifeless for mine.

Doesn't seem to be the same for the image on the orange background

Jun 9, 2007
Awareness
AFL Club
Essendon
If we end up retouching the new logo for 2023, I was thinking we should keep it simple, easy to print and useable as a badge/pin.

So I made these to show what I mean:

ESS A.png
ESS B.png

I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's a major issue. It's only really an informal thing which came about organically due to proximity with the airport in WWII, it's not like we went and chose it for ourselves to try and look more macho than all the mayblooms and red legs that were around at the time.

I'm not sure it even would have stuck as long as it has if we weren't forced to use it on the logo through three of our last four premierships, with that nickname now a registered trademark of the AFL;

View attachment 1239907

Beyond that though, we're Essendon on everything, we're known as the "Dons" probably at least as often, our actual physical mascot is a mosquito. It's not in the club constitution. Once it's off the logo the only thing important that includes it will be the song.

btw this is the trademark registration for the new logo:

The Dons? :oops:

Mafia_9611b.jpg

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
If we end up retouching the new logo for 2023, I was thinking we should keep it simple, easy to print and useable as a badge/pin.

So I made these to show what I mean:

View attachment 1241163View attachment 1241162
Yep this is it. Well done. Looks amazing, especially the second one.

I'd like to see how it looks without the 'Bombers'. So maybe the current banner down the bottom in black with Essendon F.C in red.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Do wanna point out that I still love it and we've done well compared to all that it could have been (knowing us).

View attachment 1241668
That looks ******* awesome
I’m loving it more and more every day.

Melbourne’s looks great too. They got the colours spot on and the MFC old time monogram logo

Jun 9, 2007
Awareness
AFL Club
Essendon
Thanks! Looks really good, especially the two on the right. I'd be happy with that as our permanent logo from next year onwards.

Big statement! Thanks. 🤟 Had fun making it.

1& 3 look like a stumpy penis each side

Dunno about that ..

Haha, actually I agree, I think a shorter one in black works the best. :thumbsu:

Jun 9, 2007
Awareness
AFL Club
Essendon
Love these variations but I can't see the club ditching the plane, especially for the heritage monogram, even though it looks awesome.

If they can do it right, then I reckon it could be in a touch-up for 2023 (if there is one). Only issue is trusting Essington to do it right though.

No more pointing down crashing into the ground ones I'd hope at least.

435.jpeg

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
If they can do it right, then I reckon it could be in a touch-up for 2023 (if there is one). Only issue is trusting Essington to do it right though.

No more pointing down crashing into the ground ones I'd hope at least.

View attachment 1242703
I like the current logo but just feel like its time is past, 30 odd years and counting... although its image in that photo is really clumsy. Very unfortunate.

I've been keen on this vision for yonkeys; low angle looking upwards at the nose/wing/maybe fuselage. Therein lies its power and dignity.

staaation

All Australian
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Only issue is trusting Essington to do it right though.
this for me, seeing a lot of cool ideas in the thread but i don't trust the club to not go full ~GrApHiC DesIgN iS mY PasSiOn~ with it and crap out something embarrassing.
case in point: the basic design of our clash strip is great but they had to attach those goofy drop shadows to the sash that make it incredibly tacky, and before that we had to cover it in names and push it as a "heritage jumper" because we're Essendon and we can't just do a normal thing

Back