It is what is , We’ve got who we’ve got . What do we need to do ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Key officials, coaches and players won't change. So there isn't much hope.

Unless enough of all of the above have a brain change.

This kind of talk is a massive scapegoat for certain figureheads club botching up crucial decisions so badly. We have been given 0 validation as to why Hinkley remains coach but instead treated as if we're deliberately stirring up s**t for the sake of stirring up s**t.
What we need to do is: Sack Hinkley. There's a *load to do past that point but that really is the #1 priority now.

I'm still in genuine disbelief that it took him until LAST SEASON, despite his mediocre record, to finally decide to seek external training. Its so incredibly important in such an important role and all coaches worth their salt in any elite sport do it. It has very evidently helped Hardwick, Clarko has been doing it for years, why on earth was he ever allowed to not go learn? What the *?

Fantasia. If you want to be a stickler about it he's kicked 39 goals in a season rather than 40, but he's absolutely 'capable' of kicking 40 goals a season.
So is Motlop and we'd get to keep Doogie and SPP.

So is Motlop and we'd get to keep Doogie and SPP.

Motlop just spent half a season playing state league.

I wouldn't trade Doogs for Fantasia but I probably would trade SPP. There's a chance that SPP does a Dangerfield and morphs from a clanger merchant to a superstar overnight, but there's also just as much chance that the player he is now is the player he always will be, and if that's the case then Fantasia is a much better player and fills much more of a need for us than SPP.

Ideally we could get it done with picks though. 27 and our second rounder next year, maybe with a late pick coming back our way for draft points, I'd be fine with. Especially considering that if we don't trade 27 it probably ends up just getting used to match a Mead bid anyway.

Fantasia. If you want to be a stickler about it he's kicked 39 goals in a season rather than 40, but he's absolutely 'capable' of kicking 40 goals a season.
yes but will he be capable of kicking this with Port's system? You could bring in Jeremy Cameron and I don't trust he would kick even half of his usual haul due to Ken's dynamic and creative game plan.

Key officials, coaches and players won't change. So there isn't much hope.

Unless enough of all of the above have a brain change.

Pretty much. This thread suggests we should rotate the tyres but ignore the blown head gasket. What’s the point?

yes but will he be capable of kicking this with Port's system? You could bring in Jeremy Cameron and I don't trust he would kick even half of his usual haul due to Ken's dynamic and creative game plan.

Cameron would defiantly fail to score because Ken would have him in the back line, because reasons

IMO we aren’t nearly as far off as people think.

If we stop dropping winnable games, tighten up the gameplan instead of reinventing it, and add a best 22 player or two at the trade table and we could shoot up the ladder in no time.

We really need to address our forward line, and add more goal kickers. I’m really hoping either Farrell or Johnson can have a break out year, but I’d also like us to bring Fantasia in if we can.

We’ve got a million back flankers going well, and our midfield is pretty fantastic. Just need to keep guys like Boak, Rockliff, Wines and Robbie Gray on the park.

Dixon is hugely important yet again, so hopefully he can have a big preseason and play every game. The fact he has gone to the US with Boak is incredibly positive.

As much as people want to see dramatic change, I don’t think it’s necessary. We knew we were taking a hit this year, particularly with Dixon missing almost the entire freaking season and having a lot of new players running around for us. I don’t know if we are good enough to win the premiership but I think top 4 is very gettable with this side.

I hope the club makes some off field moves to get the supporters back as well. Go back to a single captain, change the motto back to “We exist to win premierships”, bring out the prison bars and win our early games and we’ll have plenty of momentum and positivity back in the supporter base.

90% of this game is teamwork and belief, we don’t have the advantages that your Richmonds Hawthorns Geelongs and Collingwoods have, but if we play exciting footy then the AFL will help us out.

That’s the optimistic take.

The negative take is that the club could be destroyed within a few years. We are already getting very far from our roots, the supporters aren’t going to stay on the bandwagon much longer and we could easily become a franchise/corporation in the blink of an eye.

We really, really need a big year in 2020. I just hope we have enough people in the club who still want it enough, because clearly many of the no hopers are staying.

Have some pride Port Adelaide. Ffs.

So what would make us better?

- we need fast and good ball users in the middle. Grab Stephenson in the draft and push Lienert and Bonner to the wings and Burton to the middle. Straight up we are faster and have better kicks in the right areas
- have a fit Robbie, Ollie and Rocky. These players can dish it out to the aforementioned players (+Houston) and allow us to win it in the centre and then actually use it well.
- we need a lead up forward like Tom Lynch at the crows. Could we pry Lynch or Mason Wood loose? Otherwise Burton may be an option here and I wouldn’t be adverse to seeing Lienert on a forward flank. Getting Ebert back may also help.
- a small forward is needed. Cox hasn’t shown much defensively and Farrell needs to find more of it. We need someone who applies pressure, can kick goals and swoop on ground balls. I actually wouldn’t be adverse to Eddie Betts for a year or two in a pseudo mentor role to work alongside Rozee, Butters, Cox, Farrell and AJ (if he isn’t delisted)
- get a settled back six and add some speedy/crafty HBFs in the draft. Day and Sharpe could work.
- embrace some team rules such as players come back via SANFL post injury and work to maintain our structure. This would give opportunity to Frampton, Drew, Atley, etc, without completely upsetting the apple cart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

enquire about having Port Adelaide play in another national code of sport
If we moved to Netball Ken would recruit Rugby players. Tennis and he’d grab synchronised swimmers. You could make him a full time Grayhound trainer at the clubs expense and he’d probably have a brain wave of making them chase salad as being healthier for the dogs.

We had Dixon, Wines , Watts barely get going .
R.Gray , Jonas seemingly underdone .
Ryder and Westhoff having nothing years .
Rockliff getting going but doing his shoulder again .
Motlop falling off the radar .
Howard and Marshall not coming on as quick as expected .
Losing at least two games that we should’ve won .
Coupled with some baffling selections and game day blunders it’s no wonder missed the finals .
Debuting 3 great young players , Ladhams signing on and being developed.
Garner getting a look in , getting a peek at Frampton and at the very least raising his value if he’s traded. Hartlett although he faded , he got back playing again and Broadbent , if he’s kept on otherwise it would’ve been better getting more games into Garner .
Farrell shows promise if he can get more of an AFL body .
So I’m not overly upset , the game plan did work in some games and was impressive to all and sundry.
If Dixon can get back to around his best it’ll be a huge bonus .
Marshall is getting a bit frustrating waiting for him to be able to use his height because we need a tall moving target .
Looks like we’ll have Lycett and Ladhams as the rucks , we’ve bit the bullet and let Ryder go to enable it so that’s probably good list management.
They’re both more lead ruckmen more than forwards but I think they can regularly hit the scoreboard.
Letting Sam Gray go must be to put time into Butters and Farrell so that’s probably good list management as well .
Just saw on telly Frampton does want out so I wouldn’t want to lose Howard as well .
I’d prefer to keep SPP and fade Rocky out rather than trade Sammy for team balance .
Will Rozee move into the midfield .
Hopefully R.Gray is fitter next year , he looked underdone or a bit hobbled most of this year so I hope he’s managed really well over summer.
Will Houston become a permanent mid ?

I agree that we don't have a lot of natural goalscorers now apart from Robbie, but we've had seasons in the past where we had plenty of talent in the forward line, and we've never been able to put it together.

If I was a forward looking for a new home i'd go to Gold Coast before i'd come to Port under Hinkley. It's an absolute graveyard.

We need a complete philosophy change when it comes to the forward line, and it's been the same for so long with so many different sets of players up there that it can only be coaching. Why do we move and position so poorly? Why don't we lead to make space for our teammates? Why are our players always so gassed they can't kick set shots?

Poach another club's forward coach and let them set up the forward line, then make the other lines work around what that coach wants to do. Bassett and Hinkley are defensive, sure, but you can be defensive and still have an effective plan when moving the ball forward. Look at Richmond.

At the very basic level, we need to do some scouting in terms of what other clubs do better than us. We need to listen to our recruits and use that IP. The fact that Hinkley was apparently in a heated argument with Lycett during the year should set off alarm bells, because Lycett has come from a genuinely elite program. Lycett should have been of enormous value to our footy department this year, and yet we finished 10th again.

The only thing we do as a club that approaches best practice is the Aboriginal programs, and that's because, pre-KKK, we hired someone who was genuinely the best person for the job in Pauly V and let him run it. The membership team also do a bang up job but they're also run by someone who has genuine passion and aptitude (and another pre-Koch hire).

"We've got a long way to go before we become a club like Richmond". I think we all agree with that line, despite how much it reeks of loser talk trash. Well, what are Richmond doing that we're not? What are Geelong doing that we're not? What are West Coast doing that we're not? KT talks about trajectory which is another huge red flag because it sounds like we're already in motion and the improvement will happen naturally. It won't. The good clubs will get better.

Our goal needs to be best practice in every single facet of the club. Hire the best people. Ensure that they're doing the best work at all times. Hold everyone at the club to account. We will be the best club. If you're not capable or willing to perform at that level, you'll be moved on. From the Chairman to the players to the bar staff.

Only accountability can save us. It's really up to Koch.

I’ve had a revelation. This forum is an egregore.

65C963DD-EEB8-401C-810C-0D6B17BA4A41.jpeg

It’s actually amusing feeling the psychic tentacles of this thing trying to pull you back in. The sad part is, it’s not an egregore that helps you grow.

If this club wants to ever reach the pinnacle, the best thing it can do is exorcise the people on this forum from its decision making. Nothing it does will satisfy you, because this particular egregore revolves around getting rid of the people in charge as the panacea to a problem that is actually about building a egregore within the team (when people speak of “connection”, they are talking about egregores).

Getting rid of losers like Frampton who don’t buy in to what we are trying to do - generally dumb as dogshit materialists who think the world is just what they see with their own two eyes, that view the club as just a job - is the next step in creating that bond between the playing group.

These guys need to forget about the money and start playing for something greater than that. That’s where true freedom of expression lies. If they can’t build that bond and strengthen the entire group under the egregore of winning premierships, then there is no point to any of it.

When Whately said that the club who dominated the SANFL isn’t us, I wasn’t thinking “I don’t expect that.”

I was thinking, “Not yet.”

That’s the egregore I promote. So you lot can sit back and complain and be an anchor dragging behind the boat of necessary change. I believe in the direction the club is heading and I know that when we get there, we’ll be there for eternity, because we’ll expect to win.

I’ve had a revelation. This forum is an egregore.

View attachment 756324

It’s actually amusing feeling the psychic tentacles of this thing trying to pull you back in. The sad part is, it’s not an egregore that helps you grow.

If this club wants to ever reach the pinnacle, the best thing it can do is exorcise the people on this forum from its decision making. Nothing it does will satisfy you, because this particular egregore revolves around getting rid of the people in charge as the panacea to a problem that is actually about building a egregore within the team (when people speak of “connection”, they are talking about egregores).

Getting rid of losers like Frampton who don’t buy in to what we are trying to do - generally dumb as ******* materialists who think the world is just what they see with their own two eyes, that view the club as just a job - is the next step in creating that bond between the playing group.

These guys need to forget about the money and start playing for something greater than that. That’s where true freedom of expression lies. If they can’t build that bond and strengthen the entire group under the egregore of winning premierships, then there is no point to any of it.

When Whately said that the club who dominated the SANFL isn’t us, I wasn’t thinking “I don’t expect that.”

I was thinking, “Not yet.”

That’s the egregore I promote. So you lot can sit back and complain and be an anchor dragging behind the boat of necessary change. I believe in the direction the club is heading and I know that when we get there, we’ll be there for eternity, because we’ll expect to win.

nah mate

You lot severely overrate the value of your voice. Do you actually think this board is the parliament of the Port Adelaide membership base or something, and you represent the greater viewpoint of everyone else?

Pick one.

I'm still in genuine disbelief that it took him until LAST SEASON, despite his mediocre record, to finally decide to seek external training. Its so incredibly important in such an important role and all coaches worth their salt in any elite sport do it. It has very evidently helped Hardwick, Clarko has been doing it for years, why on earth was he ever allowed to not go learn? What the fu**?

Yep, it's ridiculous.

Hinkley before the start of the season in an interview with Cam Mooney stated that he never saw the similarities and parallels with being a head coach of a football team, and being a high level executive in a leading corporate business. Thus, he was resistant to the idea of training because he thought he wouldn't be able to apply it to the football department. He went on to say once he did the training (and he admitted even then he was resistant still to it), that he saw the connections and understood that there are plenty of similarities and situations that are applicable to both business and football.

He really is an ignorant fool.

Pick one.

They both say the same thing - the club shouldn’t listen to people who have built a community on negativity. It’s just that one of them was from the perspective of the club acting the way it had been (ignoring negative supporters), and the other is a statement on what needs to happen in order to succeed (continue ignoring negative supporters and concentrate on building connection within the playing group).

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by listening to the people on here, because they don’t want the team to actually be successful under the current regime. A complete lost cause.

They both say the same thing - the club shouldn’t listen to people who have built a community on negativity. It’s just that one of them was from the perspective of the club acting the way it had been (ignoring negative supporters), and the other is a statement on what needs to happen in order to succeed (continue ignoring negative supporters and concentrate on building connection within the playing group).

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by listening to the people on here, because they don’t want the team to actually be successful under the current regime. A complete lost cause.

No, one implies we’re the root of all the club’s problems and the other mockingly suggests that we’re deluded to think we have any influence at all.

Not compatible.

Besides, ignoring everyone hasn’t exactly worked a treat thus far. Maybe they should be more open to external views and that goes way way beyond what gets said on this forum.

Wisdom is wisdom no matter the source.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back