Other It shouldn't be considered as sport?

Remove this Banner Ad

ezravine

Draftee
Nov 10, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What sport/s should not be considered as a sport?
Golf. Aside from the fact that I don't get it, I find it boring.

What sport/s should not be considered as a sport?
Golf. Aside from the fact that I don't get it, I find it boring.
Anything where judging is made according to some sort of artistic merit.
Gymnastics, equestrian, ice skating, diving, pretty much any "extreme" sport, etc.

Why does the ski jump have points for aesthetics and posing? Surely that should be one of the simpler sports: longest jump wins.

I honestly don't know why people get so excited about 'that's a sport, that's only a game, it has to be physical, you have to sweat, change shoes etc'.

Who cares what it's called? If you like doing it or watching it, keep doing it or watching it. If someone sneeringly says 'That's actually not a sport, you know' - who gives a monkey's bum? Why is it so important for things to have particular labels?

For what it's worth - I'm also in the camp of those who dislike sports involving judging of how well you performed something - the 'Marks out of 10'. But that's my problem.

I'll say what I always say on this topic. Sports are any activity than can be used fir military training. Typically the traditional Olympic events. Everything else are games.
You'd probably be a fan of the modern pentathlon then, combining five disciplines that was believed to make a good soldier: running, shooting, swimming, fencing and equestrian...

Anything where judging is made according to some sort of artistic merit.
Gymnastics, equestrian, ice skating, diving, pretty much any "extreme" sport, etc.

Why does the ski jump have points for aesthetics and posing? Surely that should be one of the simpler sports: longest jump wins.
I used to think that way and still do a bit, but there are certain physical endeavors - particularly around strength and control of your body (eg gymnastics, weightlifting) that are hard to measure objectively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back