Analysis It Starts With A Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree re midfield coach - I am just struggling as to who we should appoint?

Is our poor stoppage work, also a result of poor opposition scouting.

Caracalla , Solomon , hocking (again), Would burns be better now ?

I'd move Maynard and JDG into the middle to go alongside Adams and Grundy as our first choice midfield quartet. Daicos on his wing and swing Pendles over to the other one, taking over from Mayne. Pendles taking over Mayne's roll might sound like downgrading Pendles, but looking at what he could do for us there would be excellent. We know he can shut out opposition mids from games, and all those disposals out of the back half we whinge about Mayne getting because he slows the play, imagine Pendles getting ball in hand there instead. He'd improve our movement out of the back half no doubt.

Sidebottom I'd move to a HFF/FP and let him rotate through the middle at times or switch with JDG to change the look or rotate and rest some players. Elliot back inside 50 with Stevo, Mihocek, Kelly/Cox and hopefully another genuine KPF and a small crumber and I think we can replace the time we lose from JDG i50. Replacing Maynard is the harder one, I think IQ is the man we just need to back him in and let take the role like we did with Maynard originally. Adding another classy user of the ball at half back could be a good move, have heard the Witherden whispers, but maybe we'll see a Bianco or Murphy grab that role in 2021.

As noted in another thread

On Bucks and the coaching panel

Start of the season I identified
- Grundy's connectivity with the mids
- Mids ability to find our forwards
as key things I'd like to see improvement in.
That view still holds.

Even Nathan Buckley's father, a ruckman himself, told me that he thinks they need a proper ruck coach and better stoppage work.
He was coached by Polly Farmer briefly and he said he was amazed how much he learnt in a short period of time.

There is a clear shortfall in the way we manage rucks and clearances.
- Why does Grundy knock it forward at the boundary line when we have no sweepers moving through to collect the ball?
- Why spread his arms, hold his ground but then knock it to his feet at the centre clearances when we don't have an abundance of big bodied mids on the move to barge it out of there?
Win the tap out, lose the clearance too often.

We've invested too heavily in Grundy, Treloar, Adams, Pendlebury, Sidebottom to then have Anthony Rocca as Ruck coach and not be getting the best out of the players abilities. What does Robert Harvey bring to the equation? Do Buckley and Harvey adequately value the role of a good tap ruckman to invest in this area? Neither really played under one for most of their careers. Neither played in a premiership.

While Bucks has shown a lot of love for his team and environment is one of care for each other, I do fear we lack a hardened edge at times.
When I look at the way the Tigers play today, the Hawks under Clarkson, the Lions of 2001-2003 there has been a hardened edge which I fear may be an inhibiting factor to gaining the ultimate success. But I am not strong in this view.

I don't think we've been well served by our stagnant play at times. It hurts our scoring capacity. It was apparent from early in last nights game. By contrast, last week there was a sense of urgency in our play and it was to our benefit and we scored heavily.
We clearly lacked urgency last night and watched Geelong take the ball, with two blokes then descending upon them to tackle, freeing up another on the outside.

I've actually been impressed by the improvement in Madgen, but Roughead, Mayne, Madgen (and Sharenberg when there) in our defensive half are too slow and too safe as ball users. Aish was the same. Crisp has also been a butcher at times, despite looking to press more. IQ has been a breath of fresh air down back for his ability to run and carry and move the ball well by foot. Noble has generally had a sense of urgency. Maynard is generally a good and offensive kick. Moore is quite offensive in his style. We've missed Howe. I favour giving Murphy more of a run as a more attacking kicking option.
I was about to mention Anthony Rocca, Albert. If my memory serves me correctly, after the 2017 review, Rocca ws dispensed with, only to be offered a part-time position later. I think this is correct. As I say to my 91 yo uncle frequently, why would Anthony Rocca be our ruck coach part-time or otherwise? It makes no sense to me. Grundy desperately needs a good guide.

Regarding Robert Harvey, he was ticked off in the review and Buckley obviously likes working with him. He gets no love in here at all. Somebody must be responsible for our centre clearance debacle over the last 2-3 years and it can't just be Rocca.

Our backs play well; they are not the issue. Our mids and forwards are the issue. I think we have too many non contributors too.
Thomas - must carry out instructions to the letter, but has had little impact for 2 years. Trade if possible.
WHE - has lived on his 2018 form. Trade if possible.
Sier - a waste of list space. Trade definitely.
Wills - too slow for the modern game. Trade/delist
Tohill - doesn't look anywhere near it. Trade/delist
Sharenberg - a shame but his body let him down. Trade/Delist
Murphy - I've always thought he had plenty to offer, but in another year of massive injuries, he couldn't break through. Trade.
Beams- just bloody retire him. Pay him out and move on.
Dunn and Broomhead should retire.
Atu B - trade if anybody is interested.
Wilson - isn't going to make it. Trade/delist
Appleby - I can't see a spot for him. As much as it pains me to say it, trade/delist

None of the above has much currency at the trade table, so we need to look elsewhere.
There would be plenty of interest for the following:
Cox - if he was on the table last year, he would be more valuable this year. Has shown improvement.
Phillips - a few clubs would welcome his running and hard work. Good person too. North?
DeGoey - we would get a great deal, but he's staying.
Lynch - would get some interest elsewhere.
Sidebottom - I would consider it if it helped secure a very good player. A terrible year from Sidey and if he is in the Leadership Group next year, it would be a very poor look indeed.

We need to be tough with our list this year, otherwise, we'll slowly slip down the ladder.

As noted in another thread

While Bucks has shown a lot of love for his team and environment is one of care for each other, I do fear we lack a hardened edge at times.

Exactly! I would be rapt if Buckley won the Nobel Peace Prize but not if he doesn't win a flag first. Paid to coach a footy team first and foremost.

Caracalla , Solomon , hocking (again), Would burns be better now ?

Burns has already gone to Adelaide. Cara is embedded at Essendon for at least two years, Solomon is being talked about by Bombers people as well and Buddha well lets just say...if he got his nose out of joint about being dropped whilst Harvs survived...I'm guessing he'd tell us to shove it!

Mentally he's up to it but he's twice the size of Stewie Dew and probably not setting the example required of a modern day coach.
Micky really is a classic Irishman. One drink is too many and a million aren't enough. Love the bloke, and do think his insights in the media are pretty good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back