Review It was 20 years ago today...............

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, he was. Under the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948

As a Noongar (South Western Australian blackfella) Nicky Winmar would have had to apply for citizenship and it would be conditional upon him renouncing his indigenous heritage. The 1949 act applied only to WA blackfellas who had applied for and been granted citizenship under the Native (Citizenship Rights) Act of 1944, which was Western Australian legislation.

The requirements for granting citizenship under the 1944 act included severing all ties with indigenous friends and family, being "civilised" for a prescribed time, being "free from disease" and passing some sort of police check or other authoritarian approval.

So I'm betting he wouldn't have been a citizen in 1966.

1994 burned far worse than the game played 4 years later. Illogical but just the way it was.

I reckon because we hadn't been at the pointy end for a while, whereas in 98 we at least had 96 to fall back on.

Interestingly both us and Geelong beat WC in 94 and both over there. But then WC absolutely turned it on in the big one, 43 scoring shots ffs.

I reckon because we hadn't been at the pointy end for a while, whereas in 98 we at least had 96 to fall back on.

Interestingly both us and Geelong beat WC in 94 and both over there. But then WC absolutely turned it on in the big one, 43 scoring shots ffs.
We beat them there in 93. 94 was two losses.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeh nar

That game should have been over at Half time with us 65 points up

For me 98 was far worse. The group needed a 2nd flag and I thought we may have pissed away our best chance to get it.

As much as 94 hurt, all I could see was upside for the team.

Mind you, neither was particularly pleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I felt like our 98 team was the best, the round 22 match against the dogs in front of 70k probably remains the greatest match I’ve ever seen and channel 7 agrees as they have replayed it many times. If we had kicked even remotely accurate in the 1st half of the grand final the crows would have been on the receiving end of what gws copped on Saturday.

99 was brilliant, flag was in the bag at 5pm the previous Saturday when the Blues caused the boilover. Even with what happened a year earlier I knew that team couldn’t beat us.

I still struggle to fathom that umpiring.

That’s the thing. We were reamed throughout then that crap happens one second prior to the final siren. It was the whole package, plus the inspirational never give up effort our young side displayed from go to whoa. As Ablett held the ball aloft I sunk into my seat, head in hands, and could barely speak for ages. It was the epitome of “us v the world” with the umpiring so terribly against us all day. F***!

That’s the thing. We were reamed throughout then that crap happens one second prior to the final siren. It was the whole package, plus the inspirational never give up effort our young side displayed from go to whoa. As Ablett held the ball aloft I sunk into my seat, head in hands, and could barely speak for ages. It was the epitome of “us v the world” with the umpiring so terribly against us all day. F***!
Free kick count of 32 to 13 in favour of the handbaggers. That would be close to unprecedented in VFL/AFL history for a game decided by a kick after the siren. If the umpiring was even remotely reasonable, we had the game won by half time.

I wasn't even angry after the game, just stunned. Most North supporters leaving the ground were the same. If such obviously blatant bias happened to Collingwood, Richmond or * (which, of course, it never would) Melbourne would've burned that night.

And people wonder why I derive such great pleasure watching the handbaggers sh*t the finals bed on an annual basis.

'94 was worse.

'98 was just weird.

I've told youse this before but I was watching from here and at half time about 30 - 50 crows landed right out the front of the house and started squarking for about 10 minutes. While that's not unusual in the trees a few hundred metres from the house its the only time its ever happened in 25 or so years.

The 96 team was my favorite from the 90's and i think it would have been to stong for the 99 team, although both would smash this years premiers.

98 was my most disapointing day at the footy, but i will always remember being on the boundry watching Muhammad Ali do a lap of honor around the MCG.

I only just got my weg framed 2 months ago, never to late uber roo.View attachment 753282

A bit biased but this is the GOAT WEG (or any grand final poster). The kangaroo has a bloody crown. Cannot be beaten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back