It was 50 years ago today

Remove this Banner Ad

Whale would be like trading Richo.
Yeah but didn't do anything for South but the other 2, on the other hand, would have been good in RFC colours. Francis Jackson was a superb defender and we all know what Teesdale achieved.

Yeah but didn't do anything for South but the other 2, on the other hand, would have been good in RFC colours. Francis Jackson was a superb defender and we all know what Teesdale achieved.
Yeah a brown velour suit……///

See what happens when we let Richmond people go.
Same with Whale Roberts.
Raines
Cloke
Wood.
Bloody Graeme Richmond eh?! Probably have to credit him with the success of the Hafey era. But blame him for the 37 year drought that followed. I loved the team he assembled in the late 60s. I was a bit devo'd at Barrot's departure. But didn't mind Balme, McLean,, McGhie joining. Whale Roberts & Teasdale leaving was a loss.

Bloody Graeme Richmond eh?! Probably have to credit him with the success of the Hafey era. But blame him for the 37 year drought that followed. I loved the team he assembled in the late 60s. I was a bit devo'd at Barrot's departure. But didn't mind Balme, McLean,, McGhie joining. Whale Roberts & Teasdale leaving was a loss.
Yep.Sweet N Sour with GR i'm afraid.
You always treasure something like premierships but then again those premierships mean nothing if you fold.

Yep.Sweet N Sour with GR i'm afraid.
You always treasure something like premierships but then again those premierships mean nothing if you fold.
Thank goodness the club is so well run now. All our admin staff should have do annual training reminding them of how NOT to do it. Absolute tragedy that COVID is wrecking our ability to enjoy the teams success & financially benefit fully from the success.

Thank goodness the club is so well run now. All our admin staff should have do annual training reminding them of how NOT to do it. Absolute tragedy that COVID is wrecking our ability to enjoy the teams success & financially benefit fully from the success.
Took us awhile for the penny to drop on how to run a football club($ on FD).Don't think we'll go back to those dark days anytime soon despite what some chicken littles think.

Took us awhile for the penny to drop on how to run a football club($ on FD).Don't think we'll go back to those dark days anytime soon despite what some chicken littles think.
The club culture is strong. The no of indig boys playing is unreal. Plus boys of muslim faith, Africans, kiwis, etc.
Recruiters have a pressure job this year to nail our high draft picks. Might be out practice and pick some Concas, Lennons etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the 1969 GF, after leading comfortably at half time Carlton pegged us back in the 3rd quarter and hit the front by a couple of points at 3/4 time. According to most, Richmond had fired it's best shot and the Blues were going to overrun us (given we'd come from 4th on the ladder).

Not in Barrot's mind. Watch him gee up the troups at the centre bounce at the start of the last quarter. The one passage of play that sums Barrot up came early in that last quarter of the 1969 GF. At about the 7 or 8 minute mark Barrot took a mark on the half forward flank, raised the ball in the air with his right hand, then went back and barreled it through from 60m to put us back in front!! From there it was pants down Carlton!! GUN!!

Love the commentary! Sounds like Harry Bietzel, used to listen to him and Bill Jacobs on 3AW. He must have been with 3KZ before he went to 3AW. Those were the days.
Tommy lahiff

Wasn’t sure where to put this but there’s an article about Gary Frangalas getting his 1988 Richmond jumper returned to him.

A bloke trying out for our Under 19 side was 18 years old and had his licence so the club asked him to help out with a school clinic and he needed a jumper to wear so they went into the cupboard and grabbed the first jumper available which happened to be Frangalas number 9 jumper.

He kept it all these years and has now handed it back to Frangalas.

D33CBF36-551B-4FF6-88ED-A9809979319C.jpeg 4AEF156F-ECD6-4C96-A506-93800B940582.jpeg

I don't know if I would agree the Whale 'did nothing for South'. He played 5 games for Richmond in '75 and then got traded and played 15 games for the Swans. In every game for South, he had more kicks, marks and Handballs than his best game for Richmond that year. He got 17 votes in the Brownlow and finished 6th. (They didn't count the votes by game back then, so we don't know which gams he got the votes in, but I reckon almost all would have been for South).

The three guys we trade for Pitura got a total of 64 Brownlow votes while playing for the swans and kicked 149 goals.
Pitura got 9 votes and 24 goals for us.

I don't know if I would agree the Whale 'did nothing for South'. He played 5 games for Richmond in '75 and then got traded and played 15 games for the Swans. In every game for South, he had more kicks, marks and Handballs than his best game for Richmond that year. He got 17 votes in the Brownlow and finished 6th. (They didn't count the votes by game back then, so we don't know which gams he got the votes in, but I reckon almost all would have been for South).

The three guys we trade for Pitura got a total of 64 Brownlow votes while playing for the swans and kicked 149 goals.
In all areas one of the worst trades of all time

Memory problems here dementia sufferer. By saying nothing I meant to say he only played the one season for them. The other 2 had a good time and at the time Francis Jackson was my pe teacher at Albert Park High. Andrew Gaze was in my classes.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back