It was a bad day for the "whipping boy" crew

jarjarpowers

Debutant
Aug 6, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We saw his good game last week.

Back to potatoland again.

Over the course of his career he would be lucky to have registered 20% of his games as a pass or good.

Loves a good finger point and that’s about it.

Looked like a cat on skates today, constantly falling to the ground and when he did hold his feet getting brushed aside at ease.

DOn't agree at all. JMac has been a very solid soldier over his career. But today he had a shocker.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just wondering what criteria is involved to become a whipping boy 100 games 50 30 1 season or maybe 3 games. If it is the later two there will be a few high draft picks from the last two years on this forum very soon according to some posters No such forum should exist in my opinion but thats only my humble opinion which probably does not count for much on this forum.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just wondering what criteria is involved to become a whipping boy 100 games 50 30 1 season or maybe 3 games. If it is the later two there will be a few high draft picks from the last two years on this forum very soon according to some posters No such forum should exist in my opinion but thats only my humble opinion which probably does not count for much on this forum.
The anomaly of the whipping boy is that you will have posters who are just shaking their head on how a certain player gets picked every week and then you have the defenders who think the same player is a good player.

The one constant is that the whipping boy seems to get picked regardless of form, so the Match Comittee is the making of a whipping boy.

You can be a whipping boy if you are playing VFL because you are at your rightful level.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The anomaly of the whipping boy is that you will have posters who are just shaking their head on how a certain player gets picked every week and then you have the defenders who think the same player is a good player.

The one constant is that the whipping boy seems to get picked regardless of form, so the Match Comittee is the making of a whipping boy.

You can be a whipping boy if you are playing VFL because you are at your rightful level.
No, the whipping boy is the one that despite how well he does play his role will still be the target of vitriol, especially if they play one average game after a month of good games.

Those who target whipping boys generally give a pass to players who have an elite, exciting attribute, but who only show this occasionally and lack in basic fundamentals such as running capacity of willingness to learn structures.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No, the whipping boy is the one that despite how well he does play his role will still be the target of vitriol, especially if they play one average game after a month of good games.

Those who target whipping boys generally give a pass to players who have an elite, exciting attribute, but who only show this occasionally and lack in basic fundamentals such as running capacity of willingness to learn structures.
Not necessarily correct. Bread McKenzie had an elite attribute, but was a potato.

My whipping boy status goes to a player that constantly makes the same dumb mistakes, blames others around him, stays in the side no matter how shithouse he plays and has about 2-3 good games a year with the rest usually being littered with missed tackles and bad decision making.

Can you guess my whipping boy? ;)

McKay was named in our bests and kept M.King to 2 goals who wasn't named in the bests.

NAB AFL Academy: Walsh, West, Smith, Jones, B.King, Hately
North Melbourne VFL: Wright, Preuss, Hibberd, Larkey, McKay

Fair enough. Annoying the game wasn't on Foxtel in the end - although not sure how much you can take out of practice games. McKay looks very likely though. A lot riding on him and Larkey given how others are going.

GarnerSmash

10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not necessarily correct. Bread McKenzie had an elite attribute, but was a potato.

My whipping boy status goes to a player that constantly makes the same dumb mistakes, blames others around him, stays in the side no matter how shithouse he plays and has about 2-3 good games a year with the rest usually being littered with missed tackles and bad decision making.

Can you guess my whipping boy? ;)
I can.

But you are wrong.

Sure, JMac has weaknesses in his game but he is a far better footballer than you constantly, repeatedly, vitriolically continue to espouse. Just because you don't know why he constantly gets picked doesn't mean that there isn't a very sound rationale. You may not agree with that rationale but then again you are a poster on a forum, not a member of an AFL footy department.

Fair enough. Annoying the game wasn't on Foxtel in the end - although not sure how much you can take out of practice games. McKay looks very likely though. A lot riding on him and Larkey given how others are going.
Not worried about our talls. Our smalls/mids are incredibly average.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not worried about our talls. Our smalls/mids are incredibly average.
It depends i suppose what you call average . I think these day espesially these days with the draft system the way it is I believe if you can make an AFL list you are not your average day player. There would be hundreds of players that miss out on a AFL list. So how do we come up with this saying . I suppose you could say compared to Abblett Buddy Danger and company other players may seem average but every player has a roll and us posters are not always privy to this In other words i believe if you can make it on an AFL list you are far from your everyday average day player.

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
God if certain people are just gonna post the same tedious drivel after every loss then this place is gonna be unbearable. We are rebuilding, we aren't going to look brilliant every week. It is SO ******* boring reading the same crap over and over again, week in week ******* out. Try and offer some insight or analysis, instead of just saying the same thing over and over and over and over again.

For example, if Scott is totally clueless, what are some things he could do differently? If JMac is such a potato who comes in and plays his role? How do we re-shape the side so we don't need him as a defensive sweeper/organiser? Etc.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can.

But you are wrong.

Sure, JMac has weaknesses in his game but he is a far better footballer than you constantly, repeatedly, vitriolically continue to espouse. Just because you don't know why he constantly gets picked doesn't mean that there isn't a very sound rationale. You may not agree with that rationale but then again you are a poster on a forum, not a member of an AFL footy department.
I pay my membership every year. I have just as much right as anyone to post them on an Internet forum.

If you don’t like them, I don’t really care to be honest. I think the constant defence of a guy who has had a sub par AFL career is just as ridiculous.

Anyone that thought his efforts yesterday were up to standard for an experienced player is kidding himself. Unfortunately with JMac it’s the usual and not an uncharacteristic bad game.

GarnerSmash

Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I pay my membership every year. I have just as much right as anyone to post them on an Internet forum.

If you don’t like them, I don’t really care to be honest. I think the constant defence of a guy who has had a sub par AFL career is just as ridiculous.

Anyone that thought his efforts yesterday were up to standard for an experienced player is kidding himself. Unfortunately with JMac it’s the usual and not an uncharacteristic bad game.
Of course you have the right. I'm not saying you don't. It's just that your assessment of JMac on the whole is wrong, hence his ongoing career. He was poor yesterday, but that ain't his normal level of performance.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Of course you have the right. I'm not saying you don't. It's just that your assessment of JMac on the whole is wrong, hence his ongoing career. He was poor yesterday, but that ain't his normal level of performance.
I didn’t say that yesterday was his normal, but his normal hasn’t been much better. He has been poor more often than not.

I just think we are wasting our time with him. He either needs to be shifted to the wing or the VFL, because as a defender he isn’t up to it.

This is a guy that should now be producing consistent footy, instead we get the odd good game punctuated by a lot of below average to poor games.

If that’s the standard then we may as well blood a young player and put up with that output.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

I could not have put it better myself.

They are all sizzle and no sausage.

The WBC judge the likes of Daw with a silk scarf.
The WBC judge J-Mac, Goldy, Hrovat etc., with a baseball bat.

Their lack of knowledge is highlighted by their absolute inconsistency.

Last edited:
I could not have put it better myself.

They are all sizzle and no sausage.

The WBC judge the likes of Daw with a silk scarf.
The WBC judge J-Mac, Goldy, Hrovat etc., with a baseball bat.

Their lack of knowledge is highlighted by their absolute inconsistency.

Your attitude to Daw is the definition of whipping boy.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Your attitude to Daw is the definition of whipping boy.

BULLSHIT!

I have been 100% consistent and honest about my assessment of Maj, and THE FACTS have supported my observations.

FACT 1) I stated a year ago that he had been found out as a forward and ruckman. This has been 100% correlated with how the club have gone to work on him over the summer.

FACT 2) I watched him in 3 of the 4 preseason matches and made consistent comments.

FACT 3) I commented in the only game I missed when folks raved about him v Collingwood, that it was likely due to Maj playing on a midget or having no opponent whatsoever as a loose defender. This has been 100% correlated with how he lined up in the first quarter yesterday.

FACT 4) I stated last week that he would be exploited by being manned up in this occurrence and then the opposition would play through him. This occurred at about the 15-20 minute of the first quarter. The result was 4 opposition goals.

FACT 5) I have stated that he doesn't have the smarts to play as a defender. This has been 100% correlated when he was moved up the ground to other roles the moment he was manned up, and how his direct opponent managed to get off him the moment Majak was out of the contest in the backline.

FACT 6) I have stated on multiple occasions that he has the turning circle of a Mack truck. This has been 100% correlated when he was stripped of the ball and turned inside out by Garlett.

The extent of his ability is see ball, get ball. That's it. There's nothing more to say on the matter.

Snake, just had a thought when looking at that page, that comment about being invested about players not being good enough was not aimed at you at all.

Even with Dumont and Daw I don't think you do that.

If you can't handle facts, then you have the problem.

Grow up.

The double standards applied to this bloke are unlike anything I have seen in all my years watching footy.

That comment specifically wasn't aimed at you. It just looks like that cos of the way posts ended up happening.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
That comment specifically wasn't aimed at you. It just looks like that cos of the posts ended up happening.

Please accept my apology.

Dumont was actually one of our better players after quarter time.

Back