Universal Love IT WAS FUN NOT HAVING A LID IN 2019 - BUT GWS AND RICHMOND NAILED THE 2020 LID BACK ON

Is the Lid now “OFFICIALLY” off?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely you've followed enough footy to know clubs don't tend to talk about finals until much later in the season.
True. I’m more interested in what us supporters think. I want to keep my lid off and will probably feel better if we win the St.Kilda game, but I’m still gutted after the weekend.

Prior to the first game most of us thought 8-10 wins would be a pass mark - a fail would have been less than that 5-7 wins. Finals at that stage were a pipe dream
Thanks. Which brings us to where we are at, or where we were before the Carlton game. Given our current position, would people see missing the finals as acceptable? I want to keep my lid off, but talking to a mate at work last Friday, he described Brisbane as an overpriced company share price and he is expecting a market crash.

Thanks. Which brings us to where we are at, or where we were before the Carlton game. Given our current position, would people see missing the finals as acceptable? I want to keep my lid off, but talking to a mate at work last Friday, he described Brisbane as an overpriced company share price and he is expecting a market crash.
I think that every single one of us would be disappointed, to an extent, if we do not make finals from here.
But I really don’t think that means it will be an unacceptable year if we don’t.
If we win 5 more games and miss finals on percentage only, personally I think that has been a very good year.
And an indication of where we are at!

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town

Well, one thing I'll point out here - since Fagan's arrival, we have been pretty competitive in the back half of the season. I'm actually thinking we will do at least as well as we have in the front half of the year. I think we'll end up with 13-14 wins.

I'm gonna go one further - we'll beat Geelong at the Gabba :D

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From my perspective at the start of the year, prior to the first game, missing finals again would constitute a fail.
Yeh you'd have to be disappointed if we don't get in to finals from here.
Based on last years 5 win which in terms of quality , close losses, percentage, you could easily say it was a 8 win season.
So at the start of the season I would of taken a 10 win season with a number of close losses as a good season and that would be enough to keep the faith.
from where we are now ,unless we are cruelled by injuries , if we don't finish with minimum 12 wins with 10 games to go , would be under achieving .
I had us winning 7 before the bye at the start of the season and strangely had us losing to Carlton,finishing hard to go on and win 13.
We are still on track, but need to win the next two games.
The lid will be off for sure if that happens .

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lids is firmly on and the jar is away.

Huge lapses in games. Psychological issues around holding leads and kicking goals. Pressure dropping away. Can't win on the road. Young team. Can give up 5-6 goals in 10 minutes like it's nothing. still have a handful of players in our 22 each eek with question marks galore. Melt in big games in front of big crowds when there is any sense of occasion.. Collingwood, Bombers, Carlton.

I am thrilled with where we are at, we are tracking nicely. But... we would be fraudulent in our aspirations as a top 4 team. No where near it, not ready for the heat of finals yet.

I want us to be successful. Love the direction we are heading. Back in players coaches and staff. But hoping we luck some miracle run this year is counter productive to the overall rebuild IMO.

We are a middle of the road team and that will be reflected in our ladder position. My guess is we will finish with 11 wins in 9th or 10th, which would be an excellent result.

Then we get another preseason under our belts, go through a summer with a bit of expectation for the following year and try to iron out the kinks in our developing team for a more stable and deliberate run at 2020.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

This is a fitting analogy. But I would say more like Bitcoin, overheating early.. will have a crash before rising again.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
My lid is somewhere in the Oort Cloud where all the 80 point floggings from the last few years have gone. Its like a bit of fly catching paper, gathering all those games to itself and in the next few years, when we win a flag, it will blow up into a million pieces so ending any memory of being 79 points down at half time

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
If we beat GWS I would agree. Melbourne aren't a scalp for us at this stage, more a game we should win if we are a serious finals team.
If we win the next 3 v the Demons, Giants and Port the Lid will be well beyond the Andromeda Galaxy and lost in space.
tumblr_p94kziflr11toamj8o1_500.gif

WHO BLEW THE LID OFF?
EE59DCDC-856E-4AE2-BA9B-A86E961C964F.png

STEFAN MARTIN BLEW THE LID OFF WITH A CLASSIC BIG MAN’S GAME!
Dayne Zorko may have been rated one point higher on the AFL website but up in the Derrinalphil Stand the feeling was that Stefan claimed the chocolates this week. Martin is testament to what happens when a ruckman is prepared to GET IN FRONT. Against the hapless Saints Stef had 22 disposals, took 8 marks, had 25 hit outs, sharing duties with the Big O and importantly had a GAME HIGH 7 INSIDE 50’s! Martin was the dominant big man on the park on a night that confirmed that Brisbane will be just about unstoppable when our two ruckman fire.

STEFAN MARTIN TAKE A BOW!

If we beat GWS I would agree. Melbourne aren't a scalp for us at this stage, more a game we should win if we are a serious finals team.
I’m coming from the position of cementing a place in the top 8. I think we are going to storm home this season and am predicting a TOP FOUR FINISH BEFORE WE WIN THE FLAG!

Well, one thing I'll point out here - since Fagan's arrival, we have been pretty competitive in the back half of the season. I'm actually thinking we will do at least as well as we have in the front half of the year. I think we'll end up with 13-14 wins.

I'm gonna go one further - we'll beat Geelong at the Gabba :D
We are blessed compared to almost every side in terms of the health of our list. This will be vital late in the season as we make our TILT AT PREMIERSHIP GLORY!

The part of me that remembers winning a final in 2009 has the lid off line somewhere higher than just making finals ... maybe top four at end of the regular season would qualify ... certainly making the last four or last two in the comp would ... winning the GF well that would be 'what lid?' at least until the beginning of next pre-season games.

In any case I have a firmly fitted helmet on now ready to enjoy the ride each week no matter if it is a luge sweep or a demolition derby.

Back