It will turn, stick fat

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m sure there’s other old farts on here like me who’ve seen this story before. Sometimes it’s been us, sometimes other clubs. It feels like there’s no way out. If feels like everything that can go wrong will go or has gone wrong. It feels like an endless pit and we’re just in free fall without any mechanism to go back up. And it keeps feeling like that.

And it seems impossible now. But eventually, gradually, and almost imperceptibly, it turns. It always does.

It’s not a matter of having faith, it’s a matter of recognising that the wheel is forever turning. It can turn quickly. or turn slowly. For us it’s incredibly slowly. But it will keep turning.

And eventually it moves us on from here.

It will come.

We're not winning, but we're moving. Perceptibly.

Goals for the rest of the year:
1. Avoid any major 'This club is cursed' events. I'm ok if Clarko sits out the rest of the year if that is what it takes to get the HREOC matter dealt with. Just really want him to get a fresh run into 2024, with Ratten by his side. I'm also ok with injuries, just as long as they are not Chom style, and not so intrusive as to prevent the core kids playing a lot of footy together...
2. Beat West Coast/Hawthorn, and win at least one other one we're not expected to. Nourishment, as Nobes would have said. Other than that, form will fluctuate, but it would be good to finish with a % that shows marked improvement from 2022 (a 20% increase on our 55% in 2022 would be good progress)
3. Continue active competition for spots via strong VFL form. Ideally have Brayden George playing VFL at some point at the end.
4. Kick 100 points once or twice.
5. No 10 goals+ losses.
6. Be more competitive in Geelong than we've been in forever. I feel like we'll know the wheel is turning when we can put on a performance there which isn't embarrassing.
7. Limit key personnel losses to McKay (I assume). Have Thomas re-commit and avoid issues. Give Goldie and Ziebell another year (with the right messaging that, all going well, they will play some material VFL time), but finally cut the cord with a genuine 'thank you for your service' to Turner, Shiels (as good as he has been for us) and potentially Howe depending on what happens 2nd half of the year.
8. Bring in at least one unexpectedly good inter-club trade during the off-season.
9. Draft smart. I'm finally ok with us trading one of the emerging group (Powell most likely at this point) if it nets us the right option. Powell will be good, but it won't all happen organically through drafts for us.
10. Do we play in Tassie next year? Hopefully not, and get a decent run of games at Marvel in the 2024 draw first 6 rounds.

What else?

Last edited:

All the green shoots and positive incantions eventually turn to dust if there's not some um, nourishment to consolidate it.

Regardless of trials and circumstances, this group have found new imaginative ways to lose (or draw) from rare winning positions over the last few years.

GWS 2021, pies/swans 2022, */swans this year.

We need a win. Obviously. Any win.

Then we need another win - over a fancied opponent.

2 shots in the arm (so to speak) to give the youngsters some reinforcement.

I can’t imagine a time when I will feel
Confident of a win in a last quarter unless we are 6 goals up.
REmember that game against Port a while back on a Saturday night? We were six goals up with like four minutes to play. and won by a point or two.
Following North has meant I always expect to lose, even when it seems impossible! lol

I can’t imagine a time when I will feel
Confident of a win in a last quarter unless we are 6 goals up.

Following this club the last 5 years or so has been so bad for my health. It has too commonly been either depressing, or anxiety-inducing. Oh for a game when we cruise out to a 6 goal lead early, and then cruise on or (god forbid) press on for a big win. Just once...

I tell my kids it builds resilience. It probably just builds blockages in the coronary arteries.

And then when we do start winning premierships again, I will get so sh&t faced that another 10 years will be taken off the life expectancy. But willing to pay the price for that one.

REmember that game against Port a while back on a Saturday night? We were six goals up with like four minutes to play. and won by a point or two.
Following North has meant I always expect to lose, even when it seems impossible! lol
The one with 655382773 stoppages in Ports 50 in the final 2 minutes?

1. Avoid any major 'This club is cursed' events. I'm ok if Clarko sits out the rest of the year if that is what it takes to get the HREOC matter dealt with. Just really want him to get a fresh run into 2024, with Ratten by his side. I'm also ok with injuries, just as long as they are not Chom style, and not so intrusive as to prevent the core kids playing a lot of footy together...
2. Beat West Coast/Hawthorn, and win at least one other one we're not expected to. Nourishment, as Nobes would have said. Other than that, form will fluctuate, but it would be good to finish with a % that shows marked improvement from 2022 (a 20% increase on our 55% in 2022 would be good progress)
3. Continue active competition for spots via strong VFL form. Ideally have Brayden George playing VFL at some point at the end.
5. No 10 goals+ losses.
6. Be more competitive in Geelong than we've been in forever. I feel like we'll know the wheel is turning when we can put on a performance there which isn't embarrassing.
7. Limit key personnel losses to McKay (I assume). Have Thomas re-commit and avoid issues. Give Goldie and Ziebell another year (with the right messaging that, all going well, they will play some material VFL time), but finally cut the cord with a genuine 'thank you for your service' to Turner, Shiels (as good as he has been for us) and potentially Howe depending on what happens 2nd half of the year.
8. Bring in at least one unexpectedly good inter-club trade during the off-season.
9. Draft smart. I'm finally ok with us trading one of the emerging group (Powell most likely at this point) if it nets us the right option. Powell will be good, but it won't all happen organically through drafts for us.
10. Do we play in Tassie next year? Hopefully not, and get a decent run of games at Marvel in the 2024 draw first 6 rounds.

What else?
Oh, and 11 - a fit and healthy Sonja.

That’s my Xmas wish list

The one with 655382773 stoppages in Ports 50 in the final 2 minutes?
From memory Petrie and Goldstein both worked the ruck in those final few minutes and just continually dropped it straight down at their feet for a pile-on over and over and over again.

There was also at least one beautiful 'rugby try' over the boundary as we denied then any possession for what seemed like an eternity.

Pretty sure that was the game where my daughter and I, leaving the North function after, walked headlong into the Port players in the concourse coming from the rooms to their after-match function. She told me later than she actually still had Daniel Motlop's North footy card stashed in her bag of gear and was SOOOOO close to being a smart-arse and asking him to sign it while surrounded by his Port teammates. Would've loved to have seen his reaction if she did. I think she still regrets not doing it, because now she knows smiling kids can get away with just about anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. We need one. Badly. Yesterday I personally wasn't that gutted to lose because it was what I expected, even if I cheered wildly at every goal and hurled abuse at the umps when it was called for.

But these lads need to feel what it's like to win. For their sake and for their belief. The clock will continue to tick and we may well slide back down into the pits of uncompetitiveness if we don't capitalise on this newfound momentum, despite the appearance of various pieces falling into place

5. No 10 goals+ losses.

What else?
Agree with every single thing except extending Ziebell doesn’t feel like something I want to commit to at the moment.

7ba03eaf80e2a3eab9ff9684e247f5c1--seinfeld.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back