It will turn, stick fat

Remove this Banner Ad

The current bottom 4 have won 7 of the last 10 premierships. Not sure our contribution is all that appreciated though.
That's the three sides below us. The three sides directly above us have never won one.

You know how they always say its darkest just before the dawn?

Well they're wrong. Its darkest in the middle of the *en night when the sun's shining on the other side of the world (unless the moon is bright obviously.) In the hour before the dawn the fainest light appears everywhere, then slowly on the horizen and before you know it the sun is up, often magnificently and its warm and stuff.

It's the middle of the night right now. It might be just after midnight. It might be 3 am. I dunno - its too *en dark to see the clock.

But the light will appear soon enough. It might have already started, what with LDU and Jy's recent form and young Harry Sheezel.

Yep. But we're on a journey. A journey on an international flight. Like a flight to another time zone. So we take-off at in the middle of the night, travel for 15 hours and when we get there it's still the middle of the night.

My brother told me a funny story which might give us all some solace.

Back when Ronald Dale was coaching, he was playing in one his first few games and at half time the Kangas were down. As was customary, Barassi spent about ten minutes screaming abuse at the 20 players as they were forced to sit there and listen.

Then when it all went quiet, Brent Crosswell spoke up and said, "Ron - it's just a game".

True story.

It's just a game. Don't let it affect your mental health.

This team lacks charismatic types and extroverts who provide spark and creativity. Team over the past decade or so has been full of dull, workmanlike types who seem happy just to collect their paycheque. The only reason Simpkin and McDonald were made captains is because there is simply no other capable or willing leaders. They wouldn’t get near it at any other league club.

I’m trying to find perspective in what feels like ‘rinse repeat’ of the last few years with some comparisons to some of our other first year Coaches of recent times.

1. In Brad Scott’s first year (2010) after Round 7 we were 3W 4L with a % of 79. To that point we’d experienced losses of 104 points, 40 points and 66 points. Those losses were to St Kilda and Collingwood who played off in the Grand Final that year, and Sydney who finished 5th.

We went on to finish the season with 11 wins and missed the 8 by % only.

This year we have been smashed by Brisbane and Melbourne - both likely to be playing off in Prelims at least this year.

2. In 2021, (Noble’s first year) after Round 7 we were 0 wins with a % of 49. We went on to finish with 4.5 wins and were touted as the best ever wooden spoon team with a majority of Saturday’s team part of that group.

3. Diving even deeper into the archives to Schimma’s first season, by round 7 we were 2W, 5L and by round 9 we were 2W, 7L. We finished the season on 12 wins finishing 6th (falling short of the then final 5 by 2 wins).

Clearly Clarko comes with a credentialed past but historical performance is not a predictor of future performance, so there is no guarantee he will turn it around. However, whilst we’re all feeling gloomy at the moment we can take comfort that things have been turned around before from similar positions.

Finally, let’s see if we can reset back on home turf at Marvel with a positive showing against the Saints, and let’s not forget there are still 16 matches remaining in the season with plenty of opportunity for growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m trying to find perspective in what feels like ‘rinse repeat’ of the last few years with some comparisons to some of our other first year Coaches of recent times.

1. In Brad Scott’s first year (2010) after Round 7 we were 3W 4L with a % of 79. To that point we’d experienced losses of 104 points, 40 points and 66 points. Those losses were to St Kilda and Collingwood who played off in the Grand Final that year, and Sydney who finished 5th.

We went on to finish the season with 11 wins and missed the 8 by % only.

This year we have been smashed by Brisbane and Melbourne - both likely to be playing off in Prelims at least this year.

2. In 2021, (Noble’s first year) after Round 7 we were 0 wins with a % of 49. We went on to finish with 4.5 wins and were touted as the best ever wooden spoon team with a majority of Saturday’s team part of that group.

3. Diving even deeper into the archives to Schimma’s first season, by round 7 we were 2W, 5L and by round 9 we were 2W, 7L. We finished the season on 12 wins finishing 6th (falling short of the then final 5 by 2 wins).

Clearly Clarko comes with a credentialed past but historical performance is not a predictor of future performance, so there is no guarantee he will turn it around. However, whilst we’re all feeling gloomy at the moment we can take comfort that things have been turned around before from similar positions.

Finally, let’s see if we can reset back on home turf at Marvel with a positive showing against the Saints, and let’s not forget there are still 16 matches remaining in the season with plenty of opportunity for growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post to finish the weekend

Yep. But we're on a journey. A journey on an international flight. Like a flight to another time zone. So we take-off at in the middle of the night, travel for 15 hours and when we get there it's still the middle of the night.
Sun still comes up the next day tho. And you've got jet lag. (That will be the hangover on a Monday round the end of September.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If clarko can get this team playing finals, they should rename the league in his honour.
Absolutely…l have more confidence that he will get things turned around compared to our past 3 coaches. He’s been at the helm for 6 offical matches with a side that’s been diabolical for quiet awhile. Was it going to be an instant turn around after the stop start debacles of the previous years…heck no.
Do we like what we’re seeing…nope, no, absolutely not!
But this is the reality and it’s going to take time… Sure we want to go nuts, burn the village and question players commitment. Yeah it will make us feel great in the short term, and l enjoy shouting at the tv in sheer frustration..but it achieves nothing. With the messaging Clarko has put out you can be certain his team and him behind closed doors are going over every player with a fine comb each week deciding if they will be here at years end. This year was always going to be a monumental upheaval, and yes we’re bloody impatient due to the crap we’ve had to endure so far. So please continue to be passionate…coz that’s what makes us brilliant compared to the others….but realise there’s going to be crap before the sun shines and yep he knows what to do….and l can’t wait for that brilliant season to arrive…

We’ve been pretty s**t.

Imagine not winning a flag for over 70 years, or never having won a flag at all, or maybe never made the top 8, or won a finals game in 20 years.

All these records exist. Quit your whinging as this isn’t even to the bottom.

Good news is it won’t get any worse for North. We literally have the best coaching / management team who aren’t even half way through their first year.

We’ve been pretty s**t.

Good news is it won’t get any worse for North. We literally have the best coaching / management team who aren’t even half way through their first year.
We thought last year was the worst and clarko would turn things around. I think he will but it looks like it will take longer than we hoped. Wonder if we underestimated how bad things were the last couple of years.

I've got a hot take... everything is going to plan.

I think the first 4 rounds were really targeted to get a result to get 1 win. We ended up with 2.

I think after that was when the cuddles and the pats on the back stopped, and the size 9 came out. There's been a shift in plan and a shift in players attitude to assess the list properly.

Wardlaw/goster/Bergman et Al ain't being played because this is thrown to the wolves type stuff. Sheezel is a phenomenon and we have a sprinkle of other young ones.

I think this is clarko on the path he knew he'd be on. Full steam ahead

I've got a hot take... everything is going to plan.

I think the first 4 rounds were really targeted to get a result to get 1 win. We ended up with 2.

I think after that was when the cuddles and the pats on the back stopped, and the size 9 came out. There's been a shift in plan and a shift in players attitude to assess the list properly.

Wardlaw/goster/Bergman et Al ain't being played because this is thrown to the wolves type stuff. Sheezel is a phenomenon and we have a sprinkle of other young ones.

I think this is clarko on the path he knew he'd be on. Full steam ahead

Wonder if the players know this? Does it explain the lack of intensity?

With the messaging Clarko has put out you can be certain his team and him behind closed doors are going over every player with a fine comb each week deciding if they will be here at years end. This year was always going to be a monumental upheaval, and yes we’re bloody impatient due to the crap we’ve had to endure so far. So please continue to be passionate…coz that’s what makes us brilliant compared to the others….but realise there’s going to be crap before the sun shines and yep he knows what to do….and l can’t wait for that brilliant season to arrive…
Kind of where I'm at. As much as it sucks because we've been on this journey a few years longer than the new football department we can't expect this situation to fundamentally change within a quarter of a season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back