Movie IT

Remove this Banner Ad

Went and saw the 2017 remake of IT last night.

As a massive fan of the original I was blown away.

Was how a remake should be, it improved on the original where possible and remained faithful in other places.

The gore factor was ramped up to 11:

In the remake of the famous scene where Georgie (the main characters little brother) is dragged down into the sewers by Pennywise, they instead opt for Pennywise to morph his mouth into a maw of shark like teeth and rip Georgies arm off before dragging him down feet first.

Good callbacks and homages: A pennywise mask in one scene, "Nightmare on Elm Street" showing at a cinema etc.

The largely child cast was fantastic, usually I cringe at the acting in mostly child productions, but the cast they picked was absolutely stellar, even the youngest (Georgie) was completely believable and his terror seemed real, they managed to convey just how much the brothers loved each other in the 5 minutes they had on screen together.

The new Pennywise (Skarrsgard) was great. I actually far preferred him to the original (Curry), has his own mannerisms and speech that sets him apart and makes you dread the jumpscares you know are coming.

Absolutely loved how Pennywise coming back was linked with Henry being terrified by his father, wasn't overtly said but that intense fear allowing Pennywise to come back was an awesome scene

Directors elected (I'm assuming) to use older looking special effects that would have been right at home in the original and it worked well, was a nice throwback to the 90s miniseries.

Went for 2 hrs 15 but it flew by, Can't wait for part 2.

In the scene where Henry goes to shoot the cat, It made me loudly proclaim DON'T YOU DARE, to the amusement of other moviegoers

Last edited:
Great movie, much better than the mini series in my opinion. The kids all did a great job, and they were written very well, although as a book reader I thought Mike was rather sidelined here. Some nice nods to book fans too.

Opening scene was great although revealing a certain characteristic of pennywise so early ruined some of the later scares. I thought the young cast were all pretty decent but the actor that plays Henry Bowers (Nicholas Hamilton) is superb and imo the star of the film.
With a few less jump scares & a scaling back on the cgi monsters this could've been a truly great film. It's always the implied violence and anticipation of terror that scares most in this genre.
As it stands 'It' is a good movie well worth a look

Great film. Repeat what has been said that the casting of the kids was spot on. All did their part perfectly. Loved the Georgie scene at the start.

For what's out in this world gory wise no it was quite timid. But because kids are involved it feels a completely different horror.
As King said today, People keep asking him about the preteen sex scene (from the book, its not in the movies) and discussing it and finding it weird, but noone questions the use of graphic murder of the kids, said it probably speaks to some people priorities (or something like that).

Gasometer It's not a non stop gore fest like most horror these days, the 2 scenes that stick out (only click spoilers if youve seen the original/read the book) are the
Georgie death scene, they made it far more graphic than the original, in fact they fleshed out that scene a tonne which is awesome. And the second scene that was pretty graphic was the Beverly blood fountain scene. Thats about it really.

Smashing box office records:

http://au.ign.com/articles/2017/09/...x-office-record-broken-in-its-opening-weekend
  • Biggest opening weekend in September (adjusted and unadjusted) — The previous record holder was Hotel Transylvania 2, which made $48.5 million in its debut in 2015
  • Biggest opening Fall weekend (adjusted and unadjusted) — Gravity last set this record in 2013, with a $55.8 million opening weekend, less than half of IT's debut weekend total
  • Biggest horror movie opening weekend — The previous largest debut for a horror film was 2011's Paranormal Activity 3, which made $52.6 million in its opening weekend in 2011
  • Biggest opening weekend for a Stephen King adaptation — Unadjusted for inflation, 1408 was the previous record opening for a King-adapted film. That 2007 film made just $20.6 million in its opening weekend
  • Second biggest opening weekend for an R-rated film — IT's debut weekend only trails Deadpool's record $132.4 million opening last year
  • Widest R-rated openings — While not a box office total record, IT's success was undoubtedly helped by the film's wide availability. IT released in the largest number of theaters for an R-rated film — 4,103 domestically — surpassing Logan's record 4,073 theater opening earlier this year
  • Unadjusted for inflation, IT's opening weekend makes it already the second-highest total earning King adaptation ever, behind The Green Mile, while adjusted for inflation it already ranks as the seventh-highest earning King film

Just got back from a screening. Never read the book, never seen the original but I came out of the cinema satisfied. Awesome movie, one of the better horrors out.

Haven't seen a bad comment on it yet. I know why now.

Rewatched the original last night (the kid half), new movie shits all over it. Anyone claiming the original is better is just blinded by nostalgia.

Original was disjointed and struggled to tell a coherent story.

New movie did it far better electing to tell the story from the eyes of the kids as kids

I was hyped for this movie for a while. It lived up to my expectations. Pennywise was great. The story flowed well and the kids had great chemistry. I will watch it for a second time before it finishes at the cinemas. It really had a sinister feeling to it, which I loved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was a tad disappointed with the famous opening scene.

For my review and general ramblings- go to "last movie you saw" thread.

Definitely need to see it again- laughing so hard at some lines, I probably missed others.

Oh yeah- was also using my Ventolin puffer in the movie AT THE SAME TIME THE KID WAS ON THE SCREEN. Omfg... was pissing myself...

It's a great film and deserving it's success. But this on the back of a poor month from original content is no good for the immediate future of film IMO. Hollywood will ramp up its already feverish remake hunger.

You didn't see Baby Driver?

Yeah was very good, poor month money wise. Saw numerous articles saying there have been the poorest returns in decades.

Think that was more just due to a lack of new content last month more than anything.

Think that was more just due to a lack of new content last month more than anything.

Not really was flush with new content, The Dark Tower, Wind River, Hitmans Bodyguard, Detriot, Valerian, Atomic Blonde, American Made, Logan Lucky.

Not really was flush with new content, The Dark Tower, Wind River, Hitmans Bodyguard, Detriot, Valerian, Atomic Blonde, American Made, Logan Lucky.

Thought we were talking original content? Logan Lucky was apparently pretty well received. Not sure on many of the others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back