AFL Grand Final It's a grand old poll. On the grand final location.

How would you want the GF contract to be rewritten?

• A Melbourne GF every second year

Votes: 33 19.9%
  • A Melbourne GF every third year

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • A Melbourne GF every four to five years

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • A bidding system

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Keep the GF at the MCG every year

Votes: 74 44.6%
  • A non-Melbourne GF once a decade

• Top of the ladder chooses

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • Reigning premier chooses

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Other

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes, I know; it's not likely going anywhere for 38 years other than the MCG.

But if they miraculously changed the contract, and you got a say on how they'd rewrite it, what would you want?

What a glorious surprise. Most respondents accept and agree to share the GF around. How refreshing.

5 votes and most Vics would have been asleep when the thread was posted...I'll pessimistically wait and see, can't trust Vics to do the right thing looking at how covid's going there.
Jesus. You're right. It's like election night. Depressing.

Victorian here, I would have 2 options.
Either the team that finishes top of the ladder before finals starts nominates the GF location so there are plenty of weeks for people to make arrangements and gives an incentive to the team finishing top to have a home state GF (massive for interstate clubs) or;

If they keep the pre-Grand Final bye I would have the highest ranked team in the GF gets the match in their home state in the biggest stadium (on the proviso they could expand their seating in SA and QLD to a minimum 60k).

I like the MCG.

Wouldn't want to win somewhere else (in the unlikely case we even get there again).

But objectively it is a strange arrangement when talking about a national league to play the GF always in one location that is even some teams home location.

The GF location should be secret, like illegal raves back in the day.

If you're in the know, you'll get a txt with directions at 10pm the night before.

If you're a narc, stay home and watch that s**t on the telly with the rest of the losers.

What's your name? What have you had? Reach for the lasers, safe as *.

The GF location should be secret, like illegal raves back in the day.

If you're in the know, you'll get a txt with directions at 10pm the night before.

If you're a narc, stay home and watch that sh*t on the telly with the rest of the losers.

What's your name? What have you had? Reach for the lasers, safe as fu**.

Radical bro !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the MCG.

Wouldn't want to win somewhere else (in the unlikely case we even get there again).

But objectively it is a strange arrangement when talking about a national league to play the GF always in one location that is even some teams home location.
Yeah, the Bulldogs really dodged a bullet there, hey.

Should be at the MGG 10 times over an 18 year period. Have 2 in each of the states that have teams.

Just be prepared that just cause West Coast finish top and make a grand final, it might be at the SGC that year, or the Gabba. And if the Pies finish number 1 and make it, it could be scheduled to be at Adelaide Oval.

I feel like MCG every year but if the grand final doesn't have a Victorian team I'd be happy for it to be wherever those teams are from.

Strange poll missing the best option.

I like the every 4 years Olympic year idea floated by the media quite a bit.

Every leap year the GF goes to Perth/Adelaide/Sydney/Brisbane on rotation, so each city gets it once every 16 years and there would be a huge build up to it on each occasion.

I say this as a long term MCC member also.

Victorian here, I would have 2 options.
Either the team that finishes top of the ladder before finals starts nominates the GF location so there are plenty of weeks for people to make arrangements and gives an incentive to the team finishing top to have a home state GF (massive for interstate clubs) or;

If they keep the pre-Grand Final bye I would have the highest ranked team in the GF gets the match in their home state in the biggest stadium (on the proviso they could expand their seating in SA and QLD to a minimum 60k).

I don't know if they could logistically wait two weeks before the GF to decide the venue, though. Maybe they could have the states of the top four teams prepare 5-6 weeks out because it's unlikely a GF would happen between two teams outside the top 4 from two different states to the top four teams.

Should be at the MGG 10 times over an 18 year period. Have 2 in each of the states that have teams.

Just be prepared that just cause West Coast finish top and make a grand final, it might be at the SGC that year, or the Gabba. And if the Pies finish number 1 and make it, it could be scheduled to be at Adelaide Oval.

Very true. I think preparing months in advance, you'd sell out the venue no matter where it is or who is playing, but would people want Richmond v Collingwood in front of 60k or 100k at the MCG? Or a western derby GF in QLD?

Strange poll missing the best option.

I like the every 4 years Olympic year idea floated by the media quite a bit.

Every leap year the GF goes to Perth/Adelaide/Sydney/Brisbane on rotation, so each city gets it once every 16 years and there would be a huge build up to it on each occasion.

I say this as a long term MCC member also.

I've got "A Melbourne GF every 4-5 years." Close enough to what you're saying.

I don't like it. Why should Melbourne get 60 out of 64 GFs when 55% of the teams are from Melbourne?

Half I can understand, not 90% or more.

Back