AFL Grand Final It's a grand old poll. On the grand final location.

How would you want the GF contract to be rewritten?

• A Melbourne GF every second year

Votes: 33 19.9%
  • A Melbourne GF every third year

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • A Melbourne GF every four to five years

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • A bidding system

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Keep the GF at the MCG every year

Votes: 74 44.6%
  • A non-Melbourne GF once a decade

• Top of the ladder chooses

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • Reigning premier chooses

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Other

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The MCG should host it 10 out of 18 years. Each State should host a Grand Final commensurate with teams in the competition domiciled in their State. I.e QLD 2 in 18, NSW 2 in 18, WA 2 in 18, SA 2 in 18, Victoria 10 in 18. This is perhaps complicated when Tasmania joins the competition, but based on the current paradigm, this is the most equitable, and frankly, best, outcome.

The MCG should host it 10 out of 18 years. Each State should host a Grand Final commensurate with teams in the competition domiciled in their State. I.e QLD 2 in 18, NSW 2 in 18, WA 2 in 18, SA 2 in 18, Victoria 10 in 18. This is perhaps complicated when Tasmania joins the competition, but based on the current paradigm, this is the most equitable, and frankly, best, outcome.

Yeah, I don't think Tassie is building a GF worthy stadium until they have at least a million people. I think for the next 36-54 years, you'd cycle Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane, and Sydney the way you suggested. Lock it in, and don't change the venue no matter what.

I voted MCG every 2nd year - and im an MCC Member so I have skin in the game.

I just think moving it around really grows the game as a true national sport rather than being perceived as "the VFL with some expansion clubs". Rightly or wrongly - that is the perception.

Last edited:

I voted MCG every 2nd year - and im an MCC Member so I have skin in the game.

I just think moving it around really grows the game as a true national sport rather than being perceived as " the VFL with some expansion clubs". Rightly or wrongly - that is the perception.

We appreciate it. If enough of the AFL community felt the same way, maybe they'd let non-Vic states buy some GFs. It's sad that they don't seem to want to give any up at all, let alone 16 of the next 36 GFs.

My only problem with the rolling schedule is that I think a western derby, showdown, QClash, and Battle of the Bridge should be in their respective states. So, one possibility is that if two non-Vic sides from the same state make the top four, you tell that state to prepare as a "backup" host if the GF ends up being between those teams. Then, you take whoever was supposed to host it that year and give it to them next year, then continue the cycle.

It would be logistically difficult to do, and if you do that, I suppose Victorians won't like not being a backup option in case there's a Carlton v Collingwood GF. Perhaps any GF between two "big" Vic clubs could be prepared for the MCG if it eventuates, I'm not sure. But I don't think it's necessary because Melbourne getting 50% of the GFs means there'll undoubtedly be some MCG GFs between two big Vic clubs.

Back